Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to kill RL/Legend(update not anymore but no one knows its alive so it is dead)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 08:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I posted it mainly because I remembered the griping, from a number of CL members, about it having only a 5-speed. The V8 and RWD are (possibly) around the corner for 2012. Now, Acura marketers have to learn to update their web sites. There's no mention of this at all on the Acura website (that I could find)......I had to get it from my monthly subscription of Road & Track.
Thanks for posting the info, I don't think they have delivered my latest R&T to me yet.

We all have discussed Acura (I don't want to say that CL members have been b****ing), and tried to offer constructive input regarding their failed flagship sedan.

But the sales numbers speak more that words (when sales are 175/month, sales are essentially zero). Premium car buyers are buying Lexus/BMW/Mercedes cars in the RL price range/class in droves and ignoring current RL.
Old 09-04-10, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=IS-SV;5765301]

We all have discussed Acura (I don't want to say that CL members have been b****ing), and tried to offer constructive input regarding their failed flagship sedan.
Well, looks like some of the "constructive" input worked (at least from your point of view)....though I liked the car well enough the way it was. If I was to spend 50K on a new car, the RL would be in the Top 5.

But the sales numbers speak more that words (when sales are 175/month, sales are essentially zero). Premium car buyers are buying Lexus/BMW/Mercedes cars in the RL price range/class in droves and ignoring current RL.
The VW Phaeton also had dismal sales in the American market (the public, though it had the chance, just didn't catch onto what a bargain it was, especially the W12). But VW marketers, like with the new 2011 RL, are giving it another chance.

More than their share of those few RL sales each month (seem) to be in the D.C. area. I see a number of them on local roads.....but, I admit, clearly not in the number of most of its competitors. And, like you point out, the numbers don't lie.
Old 09-04-10, 08:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=mmarshall;5765317]
Originally Posted by IS-SV

More than their share of those few RL sales each month (seem) to be in the D.C. area. I see a number of them on local roads.....but, I admit, clearly not in the number of most of its competitors. And, like you point out, the numbers don't lie.
In Silicon Valley, I see many older pre-beak RL's

But like you said factually, the numbers don't lie (and they were just under 200 units in August which is poorer than poor sales by any major automaker's standards).
Old 09-04-10, 09:31 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i still want a 2004(& a 2004 only) RL as a daily...
i live in NY, so i welcome the FWD. And i'd welcome the 6 over the 8 for DD too...
i guess i am one of the very few who actually want one of these failed flag ships. lol
Old 09-05-10, 05:26 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshal, thanks for the LLNews article.

I'm standing by waiting for the 2011 RL with its 'new look and direction' for Acura. This is a pivotal moment in time for them as if they can produce a car with a fresh clean 'non-polarizing' look that will trickle down to the rest of the line I'll know then mean business. Otherwise this downward spin they are in will continue.
Old 09-05-10, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshal, thanks for the LLNews article.
Sure...anytime.

Acura's current website is not the worst I've seen from an auto manufacturer, but is not very impressive. You shouldn't have to go to auto magazines or other Internet sources for stuff that the manufacturers should be putting on their own sites.

I'm standing by waiting for the 2011 RL with its 'new look and direction' for Acura.
By "waiting", did you actually order one for delivery, or just waiting to look at it?
Old 09-05-10, 12:44 PM
LexFather

I bumped this old thread back up because, reading this month's Road and Track magazine, they report that the RL will be back for 2011.....and it gets the 6-speed automatic that many of you have b**ched about it needing (vs. the old 5-speed). Some spy-shots have also showed a V8/RWD test-mule.......two other things you guys have b**ched about.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...acura-for-2011

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-rl-future.html
It is not *****ing Mike, it is a legitimate point that it has a lame 5 speed which helps it get a **** poor 16/24 MPG rating of an older V-8. . Its not news at all that it finally gets a 6 speed automatic when 6 speeds are the norm. GM/Ford/Hyundai/Kia have offered 6 speeds for sometime now.

Lexus, BMW, Audi have 8 speeds. Benz will have a 9 speed. Acura has a 6 speed finally? lol

They continue to be way behind the luxury leaders yet somehow pawn off and market Acura as some "technology" brand when they don't offer any technology that leads. They are completely behind everyone.

Old 09-05-10, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is not *****ing Mike, it is a legitimate point
Yes, I know it is a legitimate opinion....I wasn't suggesting otherwise (sorry if you got that impression). I myself tend to harp on some things I consider legitimate, too....temporary spare tires, Fix-a-Flat bottles, dull repititious paint colors, hood prop-rods, crammed underhood compartments with plastic engine covers, cheap flimsy painted-plastic interior parts, etc.....

that it has a lame 5 speed which helps it get a **** poor 16/24 MPG rating of an older V-8. . Its not news at all that it finally gets a 6 speed automatic when 6 speeds are the norm. GM/Ford/Hyundai/Kia have offered 6 speeds for sometime now.
The new RL is Honda's first application of a 6-speed automatic, but the new CR-Z gets the option of an industry-first hybrid 6-speed manual.

Lexus, BMW, Audi have 8 speeds. Benz will have a 9 speed. Acura has a 6 speed finally? lol
8 and 9, IMO, is probably overkill...even 7, in some cases. Except for some ultra-high-speed Autobahn runs, I don't see the need for more than 6 or so.
Even CVTs, which actually have a infinite number of ratios, usually don't have any more than 6 pre-selected "step" gears in the lever or paddles.

(the next Chrysler 300, BTW, is supposedly going to have a ZF 8-speed auto)

They continue to be way behind the luxury leaders yet somehow pawn off and market Acura as some "technology" brand when they don't offer any technology that leads. They are completely behind everyone.
Well, I did a thread not long ago on whether the Acura nameplate should be dropped or not, and the consensus seemed to be keeping them, even as they are....though a number (includng you) also agreed that a V8, RWD model with at least 6 speeds should be seriously considered.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 07:10 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

By "waiting", did you actually order one for delivery, or just waiting to look at it?
Just waiting to look at it. I'm a big fan of the current gen RL, more-so before the refresh, and am hoping the new version will capture some positive attention.
Old 09-05-10, 10:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Acura might be learning to pay attention to what the competition is offering to produce quicker, more fuel-efficient cars (of which some Acura cars tend to be substandard in both areas).

I will try to stay out of the nonsense above when I see "7/8/9 trannys for autobahns and overkill", mention of "bxxxxing" regarding constructive advice for Acura versus competition, "CVTs with only 6 speeds so that must be enough", lol, but I could not bite my tongue.

Sorry but all that really shows a lack of understanding about premium cars and the basis for failed products like the RL.

Most of us know the RL with the outdated technology is slower and less fuel-efficient than the competition which comes as no surprise given the dated automotive technology. Most of us understand why the RL fails in the market today, but respect that Acura will attempt to move forward.
Old 09-05-10, 10:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is not *****ing Mike, it is a legitimate point that it has a lame 5 speed which helps it get a **** poor 16/24 MPG rating of an older V-8. . Its not news at all that it finally gets a 6 speed automatic when 6 speeds are the norm. GM/Ford/Hyundai/Kia have offered 6 speeds for sometime now.

Exactly I pointed this out earlier in the thread, about constructive advice that Acura sorely needs if they want to enter premium car business.

A 6/7/8/9 speed modern reliable tranny is a key component of high gas mileage combined with strong and smooth acceleration. It has nothing to do with higher top speed capabiities.