Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS (Pics and Specs) F-sport package opt,AWD IS 350 added, IS F revised

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 09:50 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

S5:F anyone??

Old 07-18-10, 06:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree 100% and its great to see the committed investment in Lexus entry in this class. The IS this generation has done a tremendous job for Lexus.
But why does this car sell well? Because it is entry level? Ive only ever driven an IS300 and IS250, but this car has an unresponsive transmission, it's slow (obviously the F is different), and it doesn't handle very well. What is the appeal over an A4?
Old 07-18-10, 10:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
But why does this car sell well? Because it is entry level? Ive only ever driven an IS300 and IS250, but this car has an unresponsive transmission, it's slow (obviously the F is different), and it doesn't handle very well. What is the appeal over an A4?
I have helped 5 different friends and co-workers shop for a new car in this class over the last few years and only one didn't choose an IS. After the lease on her 328xi was up, she then decided to hop into an IS 350 . I am not the type to say, "Oh you have to choose a Lexus, LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS!!!" but I try to point out pros and cons, play devils advocate, and provide advice where they ask for it.

While helping all of them decide on cars, test drive, compare, and eventually sign the paperwork, the general consensus from most of these people has been:

3 - interior is rather cold and not as well designed, "everyone" has a 3 series, BMW reliability is so-so over several years, great handling, smooth powertrains, good styling

C - interior is probably worst in class, gas mileage is poor, expensive with options, handsome exterior

A4 - looks too much like a VW, too large overall, not necessarily sporty feeling, skeptical of maintenance on a FI engine over the long term, cold interior feel

G35/7 - larger side of competitors in this class, interior was nice but not the best, Infiniti lacks prestige of many other models, bang-for-your buck, engine was strong but rough

TL - beak is a deal breaker (not kidding. My coworker called it the bionic parrot from hell), too large, lacking in prestige.

IS - great looking exterior, well designed high quality interior, smooth powertrain, good gas mileage, fantastic dealership experience, Lexus reliability and dependability, smooth ride with confident handling, a few complaints about the small back seat.

I heard these same comments time and time again from men and women, mostly 25-30, who really had no bias one way or the other. Like I said, all but one chose an IS and she defected later on

How much time have you spent in, around, and/or driving 3 Series, C Class, A4, G37, etc? I think that might help to answer your question about why the IS is popular.

I know you have an IS 250 AWD in the family - is that the only IS 250 you have driven? I typically get one (but RWD) when I bring my car in for service and am surprised how much pep it has for "only" 204hp. No, it's not going to throw you into your seat but I think the car has a pretty lively engine for day-to-day driving. IMO, the transmission is pretty close to perfect- smooth, well programmed, and there is just enough of a "feel" between gears when driving hard. Not that it means anything, but many reviews and automotive journalists have agreed that the transmission in this car is great.

All in all, I think think the IS simply does several things very well. The 3 might have a better looking exterior, the G37 might be more powerful, the TL might be less expensive, but from MY experience, the IS combines the best of all worlds in an attractive, reasonably-priced, reliable, compelling package.
Old 07-18-10, 10:25 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The IS handles very well, IMO, compared to the cars i have owned in the past. It may not be a mini, wrx, etc, but it gets the job done nicely when i want to drive it hard. The tranny is what it is... it may not be perfect, but for the most part, it works fine. "slow" is very relative.

When i was test driving and shopping for cars, the IS was the *only* car that i sat in and said, "wow, this is nice!." Compared to the others i test drove, this car was gorgeous and offered everything i wanted (and more) within my budget. Not to mention, the 250 had enough pep (with great gas mileage) and handles very well (IMO) during my drive... Sure it has some cons, but overall, it was the best option for what i wanted.
Old 07-18-10, 10:39 AM
LexFather

^^ good summary....IS offers very stylish styling inside and out, some great standard and optional features with the usual Lexus highlights (quality, dealer service, panache/prestige etc)

Most cars in this class sold are the smaller engine models, the IS 250 fits the bill well. Internet warriorz base their arguments solely on HP when most buyers don't. The IS handles fine, lacking some steering feel mostly. Adding F-sport parts really completes the car, I really recommend those parts especially the suspension pieces.

Its the only Japanese sedan to fight the 3 series head on. Similar size, engine options, drivetrain options. Its not a "Tweener" it doesn't sell on large size for less money. That is a TOUGH battle and the IS has done remarkably well this time around. Its now what 5-6 years old and still sells very well (even with the backseat that people constantly complain about).

Old 07-18-10, 01:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome changes, but why still not coupe?!

I really hope they release a couple once the IS gets a full redesign.
Old 07-18-10, 07:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Most cars in this class sold are the smaller engine models, the IS 250 fits the bill well. Internet warriorz base their arguments solely on HP when most buyers don't. The IS handles fine, lacking some steering feel mostly.
Mmmmm, but cars with around the same HP A4, TSX, C class are significantly quicker than the IS. Sure the mileage is good and the car is comfortable, but for me the handling is so poor that I could never own one of either generation.
Old 07-18-10, 09:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

... but for me the handling is so poor that I could never own one of either generation.
At this point I think it is appropriate to ask what is your idea of "good handling"?
Old 07-18-10, 10:02 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice update.
Old 07-18-10, 10:21 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The update is subtle... but the front lips look more and more like the Toyota Corolla S or the Matrix cladding. I hope the LED bar lighting stops at the IS.
Old 07-19-10, 05:13 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

IS350 AWD , FINALLY! been waiting for this!
Old 07-19-10, 05:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
At this point I think it is appropriate to ask what is your idea of "good handling"?
Responsive steering that appropriately controls the vehicle into the direction that you wish to go. The rear end should also stay planted and not be free to wander.
Old 07-19-10, 08:01 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
LOL, yeah I was reading that too. May be "So poor" compare to his limited edition subie. However, I do not have any limited editions but here is my 2 cents.

IMHO, I think IS350 handles very well even compare to my M3. It's no M3 but it can hold its own very well even in stock form. And IS300 is such a classic. It handles well, responsive and a fun car to drive.
Old 07-19-10, 08:33 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

The IS 250 RWD comes standard with a crisp-shifting six-speed manual transmission
As a former 6MT owner... LOL. Worst manual transmission in a car in this segment in years. Lexus's lowest point in the IS line, and probably among their all their cars as well.

Originally Posted by speedflex
The IS-F is cleaner and I like it all the more for it but the IS is becoming somewhat plain looking to me. Strange, since I used to really think it was the best looking current Lexus.

The GS still looks great to me though.
Originally Posted by tuan92129
Not liking the front bumper or rims at all (looks very busy)
A redesign is due for 2012 correct?

Every refresh on the bumpers looks more and more like a Mazda. They are switching from the sharp, angular surfaces to more rounded, soft, less polarizing. I guess it helps sell more cars, but it's unfortunate that so many have such bland taste. I'm still pissed they removed the one-touch open sunroof dial for a lame 2-way button. Not to mention the cheaper looking and feeling window and door lock switches they started using in the '09.

An F-sport edition is great to see - the sport suspension is an improvement, but it was still lacking compared to the sport package on a BMW or Audi until you got the F-sport sways. I'd love to see a skidpad, slalom, and track comparison between F-sport IS350, 335i sedan, and A4 2.0T/3.2 (engine doesn't really matter here, they are both effectively about the same).
Old 07-19-10, 09:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
LOL, yeah I was reading that too. May be "So poor" compare to his limited edition subie. However, I do not have any limited editions but here is my 2 cents.

IMHO, I think IS350 handles very well even compare to my M3. It's no M3 but it can hold its own very well even in stock form. And IS300 is such a classic. It handles well, responsive and a fun car to drive.
I agree. If you don't feel that the 1IS is a great handling car, then you probably need to reevaluate your definition of "good handling" or figure out what was wrong with the one that you drove. The IS 300 was considered to be on-par or better than the 3 Series of it's day. Still to this day I think that car is a lot of fun to drive.

Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, but I really struggle to see yours SLegacy. I have driven countless ISs and plenty of other cars, and by your very definition of "Responsive steering that appropriately controls the vehicle into the direction that you wish to go," the IS really shines. Yeah, the car is a little lacking in feel due to the electronic power steering, but all in all, I think it is hard to find fault in the steering and handling of the IS.

I have also never known a tail-happy Lexus in my life, unless you want to switch the VDIM off on an ISF.

I am really having a hard time understanding where you are coming from...

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS (Pics and Specs) F-sport package opt,AWD IS 350 added, IS F revised