Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS (Pics and Specs) F-sport package opt,AWD IS 350 added, IS F revised

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 01:28 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i want those split 5 spoke wheels
Old 07-19-10, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Responsive steering that appropriately controls the vehicle into the direction that you wish to go. The rear end should also stay planted and not be free to wander.
you mean like your '99 Subaru?

i personally THRASHED the IS300 and older 3 series around the little courses that Lexus set up in their comparo events and remember it well.

YES, the IS was a bit more squirmy than the the 3 series, but it was by no means "free to wander" and the steering was fine. the 3 series, yes, it felt more 'predictable' and 'together' but it also felt bigger, softer, and less fun.

for everyday driving, yes, i'd have preferred the older 3 series compared to that 1IS. but the IS300 was in no way a bad handler unless you want to drive like a lunatic.
Old 07-19-10, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about the upgrades...
the front lip kit looks horrible.
can't quite see how the back has changed.
led drl's are cool
can't see how the guages changed.
awd version of 350 is good.
overall... good expansion of the line but the cosmetics don't do much for me.
Old 07-19-10, 02:59 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

the wheel gap from this picture is horrendous

Old 07-19-10, 03:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats probably an AWD model, they tend to sit higher.
Old 07-19-10, 03:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I might be biased but I like the way the IS looked from launch - 08. It was sharp without being gaudy. The new front fascia that was introduced at the refresh was too soft for me and the tail lights bulged too much (although I do like the white piece on them). I'm not liking the front of this refresh at all...
Old 07-19-10, 04:20 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's hard to get excited with these soft, some what bland designs when other manufacturers are stirring up emotion with their designs (like mercedes, audi, bmw and hyundai).
Old 07-19-10, 07:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That's a bunch of BS. The IS 300 was a vehicle that many agreed had not business but driving on dry road. And even then the traction control was still employed under most any form of acceleration. The car had a decent amount of power, but I've never driven a vehicle as such that felt so unstable, so unsure of which direction it was going to go. So, while the IS 250 is more planted, I fail to find a car that would rival or even be on par with a 3 series.
Seriously? you have got to be kidding me.
Old 07-19-10, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
it's hard to get excited with these soft, some what bland designs when other manufacturers are stirring up emotion with their designs (like mercedes, audi, bmw and hyundai).
Many consider the IS the best looking car in class. It is not bland at all nor soft. The IS F has so much style its caused a lot of discussion about it.

Not sure if serious

Old 07-19-10, 08:07 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really I had no idea...the ISF looks unporportional, looks front heavy while the rear looks stock.

ya sure it was exciting and new when it first came out, but compared to what's out by the europeans, and what's coming out by the koreans; the IS starts to look bland.

for example look at the is gs and even the ls front bumpers, its starting to look dated; and the SC front bumper, wow that's as dated as it gets. is the sc convertible discontinued ? it sure seems like it.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Many consider the IS the best looking car in class. It is not bland at all nor soft. The IS F has so much style its caused a lot of discussion about it.

Not sure if serious
Old 07-19-10, 08:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
really I had no idea...the ISF looks unporportional, looks front heavy while the rear looks stock.

ya sure it was exciting and new when it first came out, but compared to what's out by the europeans, and what's coming out by the koreans; the IS starts to look bland.

for example look at the is gs and even the ls front bumpers, its starting to look dated; and the SC front bumper, wow that's as dated as it gets. is the sc convertible discontinued ? it sure seems like it.
Agree to disagree. I find the IS to be one of the best looking sedans on the road still. (I do prefer the non facelift cars)

Old 07-19-10, 08:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
I might be biased but I like the way the IS looked from launch - 08. It was sharp without being gaudy. The new front fascia that was introduced at the refresh was too soft for me and the tail lights bulged too much (although I do like the white piece on them). I'm not liking the front of this refresh at all...
I have to agree with you. I still have 2006 (bought it in 2005) and I think it's still the best looking car in its class.
Old 07-20-10, 09:20 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I also agree the 06 to 08 look better for some reason......
Old 07-20-10, 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

lexus is the only brand i can think of whose mid model refreshes tend to look worse. bmw, mercedes for example, tend to start out bad and fix the problems with the mmr.

the increased color ranges and options are a win though.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-20-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 12:03 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

@Allen K, @STIG, @Nigel-JDMParts, @bitkahuna
I agree with you all; the 06-08 IS look the best of all the refreshes. I'm really glad I got my 08.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS (Pics and Specs) F-sport package opt,AWD IS 350 added, IS F revised