Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is this right? Rear ended their insurance asking for a lot of info?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I was rear-ended in 2007 in my ML350. The driver at fault was insured by Mercury insurance and they did not ask me for 3/4/5/6, nor was I going to provide it. They did have my cell number for telephone contact(s).
Didn't know you had an ML. A little off-topic, maybe, but how did it hold up in the rear-ender? M-B products, of course, like Volvos, are known for an extremely strong, rigid crash-shell around the passenger area, and flexible crumple-zones in front and back (though that technology has now become commonplace).
Old 08-03-10, 05:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Didn't know you had an ML. A little off-topic, maybe, but how did it hold up in the rear-ender? M-B products, of course, like Volvos, are known for an extremely strong, rigid crash-shell around the passenger area, and flexible crumple-zones in front and back (though that technology has now become commonplace).
Held up well when hit by Dodge Magnum, but that car weighed about 1000 pounds less. Speeds were not high enough to stress passenger area. $1900 in damage to ML paid by their insurance.

btw, today most of the premium cars (including Lexus, BMW, Audi) are showing in IIHS tests to have similar levels of strength to Mercedes in terms of passenger area safety.
Old 08-03-10, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Held up well when hit by Dodge Magnum, but that car weighed about 1000 pounds less.
Interesting. The Magnum, like the sister 300 and Charger, are themselves done on a Mercedes E-Class-derived platform.

btw, today most of the premium cars (including Lexus, BMW, Audi) are showing in IIHS tests to have similar levels of strength to Mercedes in terms of passenger area safety.
So are some not-so-premiums....like Subies and VWs.

I won't dominate the thread with this, though.........back to the OT.
Old 08-03-10, 05:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

So are some not-so-premiums....like Subies and VWs.

I won't dominate the thread with this, though.........back to the OT.
Subies do well in their class of cars. VW's not as well, especially with the important side safety crash results, (marginal in some cases, lagging, offerings in US are not leaders in safety today, I avoid them).

It's no mystery why the premium cars do so well, the super strong structures and the high curb weights go together. For example look at the similar weights of the C-class, IS, A4, 3 series sedans, they all weigh 3500-3700 pounds. These are not flyweight cars considering the smallish 179-183" lengths.

But not back to OT, let's return to OP's topic.

Hopefully his insurance company is working for him effectively, best of luck.
Old 08-03-10, 08:38 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have a police report along with all of her info. Our statement of the accident was also recorded on the report. Well at least her first statement stating I "slammed on my brakes".

I spoke to my insurance agent again and she said State Farm would take care of it from here. I'm basicly filing it under uninsured motorist for now and when they settle with them it comes off of mine and I get my deductable back.

On another note. She said I backed into her. If so I must have been going in reverse at least 30-40mph to cause the damage it did. Really lady?!
Old 08-04-10, 05:37 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
I've had very good luck with State Farm. I was in a left hand turn lane coming up to a gas station and a kid turned left into the lane and stopped in front of me. It was on snow and I slid into her. She was cited. The State Farm adjuster handled it all and they had no issues working with the bodyshop of my choice.

Last year I had bats in my attic (that's a separate issue than my mental health) and State Farm had no issue working with and paying my remediation contractor.