Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is this right? Rear ended their insurance asking for a lot of info?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 02:31 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this right? Rear ended their insurance asking for a lot of info?!?

I got rear ended on tuesday. Called their insurance and they sent me a form to fill out to state what happened. But they're also asking for a whole bunch of info. Is that normal? She got the ticket. This is what's on the form.

1. Vehicle year/make model.
2. My full name
3. My social security number??
4. Marital status and spouses name??
5. Employer with their number??
6. DOB?

Are these normal especially 3 4 and 5.

Also asking for my insurance policy number.

Also. Do I need to let my insurance know at all about the accident?

Last edited by sphy1005; 07-17-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 05:13 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by sphy1005
I got rear ended on tuesday. Called their insurance and they sent me a form to fill out to state what happened. But they're also asking for a whole bunch of info. Is that normal? She got the ticket. This is what's on the form.

1. Vehicle year/make model.
2. My full name
3. My social security number??
4. Marital status and spouses name??
5. Employer with their number??
6. DOB?

Are these normal especially 3 4 and 5.

Also asking for my insurance policy number.

Also. Do I need to let my insurance know at all about the accident?

It's normal they will send you that form with all those questions, they will also call you up and ask you the same thing again over the phone. I was rear ended a few years back and the form they sent me ask me the exact question as yours. But all you have to give them is 1, 2, 6.

3, 4 and 5 you can tell them it's on a need to know basis and they don't need to know.

You'll probably need to give them your insurance poclicy number so you can prove you have insurance. I don't think you have to let your insurance company know as it is the other guy's insurance company's problem and they will deal with each other on their own.

Last edited by Stormwind; 07-17-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 05:40 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

It almost sounds like a scam. Why would they be asking for you social security number. Social security numbers are usually needed for tax returns, employment, social security but not for insurance purposes. I'm sure Georgia has different rules than California when it comes to auto insurance. Glad you're okay and no one got hurt.

I also got rear-ended as well last Thursday. I called their insurance company that Thursday night and they got back to me Friday afternoon but the company is still gathering information since three cars were involved. A young male hit me while I was stopped on the freeway and the impact was very hard that I hit the guy in front of me. Here's a link to the ES forum with pictures of my rear-ended fiasco.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ear-ended.html

Last edited by Trexus; 07-17-10 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 06:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

File through your insurance and let them do the paper pushing for you. All you'll typically do is give them a statement then find a place to have the repair work done.
Old 07-17-10, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Try PM'ing flipside909 with the question....but basically, I agree with Trexus. I myself don't see where they would need your SSN, marital status, employer, or DOB. All they need, as I see it, is your name/address so they can verify with DMV that you are the car's registered owner.

IMO, they don't even need to know if you have insurance or not, though if you don't have it, then, in many states, you may be on the road illegally. Maybe (?) that's the catch....they might (?) claim that they don't have to pay for damage to a car that was on the road illegally....but it sounds like you are a mature and responsible person, and OK in that department.

Anyhow, try PM'ing flipside909....he's a professional insurance adjuster, and can answer some of these questions more firmly than I can. And flip (Ryan), if you're on the thread....by all means, chime in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-10 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 06:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was rear-ended in 2007 in my ML350. The driver at fault was insured by Mercury insurance and they did not ask me for 3/4/5/6, nor was I going to provide it. They did have my cell number for telephone contact(s).
Old 07-18-10, 10:33 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, you might want to skip those questions. As is, traffic crash data and party names is public records. So anyone could be trying to phish some info...
Old 07-19-10, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
It almost sounds like a scam. Why would they be asking for you social security number. Social security numbers are usually needed for tax returns, employment, social security but not for insurance purposes. I'm sure Georgia has different rules than California when it comes to auto insurance. Glad you're okay and no one got hurt.

I also got rear-ended as well last Thursday. I called their insurance company that Thursday night and they got back to me Friday afternoon but the company is still gathering information since three cars were involved. A young male hit me while I was stopped on the freeway and the impact was very hard that I hit the guy in front of me. Here's a link to the ES forum with pictures of my rear-ended fiasco.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ear-ended.html

They probably want your SS# and personal info to run a background check on you. THEY want to see if YOU are scamming THEM. A common insurance scam is to fake a rear end collision. Why don't you just call up the other party's insurance rep and tell them you are hesitant to give out this info because you have had your ID stolen before, and why do they need it? If they really believe you've been a victim, they'll probably by sympathetic, and tell you why/if they really need it.
Old 07-19-10, 08:46 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think you have to let your insurance company know as it is the other guy's insurance company's problem and they will deal with each other on their own.
No, no, no, no, no. This is terrible advice. You should *always* let your insurance know when you're involved in an accident. File your claim, and let THEM pursue damages and reimbursement. Otherwise, you are stuck paying for the full repair until you get reimbursement by someone who isn't regularly receiving your money, and if they choose not to pay you are stuck with the bill yourself unless you decide to pursue litigation. Have any neck or back problems? Good luck getting his insurer to pay for that (I hope you have personal injury protection on your policy).

You pay your insurance for a service when this exact situation occurs, let them earn the money you pay them. Give them your name, insurer, and policy number, and tell them to deal with your insurer. Call your insurer and file a claim.

Last edited by Infra; 07-19-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 01:18 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Sorry for the late response.

Yes I talked to her insurance and they were ok without the extra info.

WOW! Some people are just crazy. This is what happened with the accident. I was sitting at a red light with 3 cars in front of me waiting for a green light. Bam she hits me. So she tells the cop I slammed on my brakes but of course she got the ticket for following to close. So she tells her insurance that I backed into her. Lying *****.

Aftere 2 weeks talking to her insurance, her agent says he's waiting for her to send her paperwork with the statement in and if she doesn't that they WONT pay the claim?!? Wth.

Anyways whatever I just did what RA40 said and let them deal with it.
Old 08-03-10, 02:26 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

The other insurance company always tries to get info from you. They do this because you are not a professional and often do not know what to say. At first it's innocuous questions and then they start asking you to describe the accident. Often they are trying to get out of fault here.

The same thing happened to me before, I kept telling them, don't talk to me, talk to my insurance company but they kept trying to bug me. Never worked though. Consider, "talk to my insurance company" the same as "talk to my lawyer" in this case.
Old 08-03-10, 03:08 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get a police report? If their insurance company keeps bugging you I'd just refer them to the case number, assuming you filed a report.

I've been in accidents a few times where I was hit and dealt directly with the other person's insurance company and never had a problem. IIRC one was Mercury and the other USAA.

Like others said some of those questions are totally unnecessary for an auto insurance claim. If only they asked for your yearly income it'd like a loan application! haha
Old 08-03-10, 04:17 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

1 - Provide all information requested by the Police officer you called to the scene for the police report.

2 - Exchange name, address, license number, insurance company, and policy number with other party.

3 - Call your insurance company with the information, including what Police authority will have the police report.

4 - Work with your insurance company to get the car fixed. They will get the police report and deal with the other party's insurance company. That's what you pay them for.

5 - Refer all questions from the other insurance company to your insurance agent / adjuster.
Old 08-03-10, 04:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sphy1005
WOW! Some people are just crazy. This is what happened with the accident. I was sitting at a red light with 3 cars in front of me waiting for a green light. Bam she hits me. So she tells the cop I slammed on my brakes but of course she got the ticket for following to close. So she tells her insurance that I backed into her. Lying *****.

Aftere 2 weeks talking to her insurance, her agent says he's waiting for her to send her paperwork with the statement in and if she doesn't that they WONT pay the claim?!? Wth.

Anyways whatever I just did what RA40 said and let them deal with it.

reading that just pisses me off. what a biotch. i hate dishonesty.
and her insurance company is a bigger bastard- all she has to do to avoid paying is to not send in the paperwork?

I think a lawsuit is in order. sue the insurance company for negligence.
any lawsuit will light a fire under anyone's ***.
Old 08-03-10, 04:31 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget your diminished value claim. I've never done one myself but a lot of people suggest it. Might as well make it as painful for her and the insurance company as possible since it seems like they won't mind screwing you over.

Quick Reply: Is this right? Rear ended their insurance asking for a lot of info?!?