Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a Legend

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 11:55 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im selling my car for 3k stock, . less rust than that.
Old 07-19-10, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The headgasket being replaced already is a good thing, not a bad thing. That means you can start out fresh and not have to worry about whether the OEM is going to go out or not. First thing first, bleed the air out of the cooling system if there is any and watch the coolant level. Seeping headgasket won't allow coolant from the reservoir to return to the radiator.

The other problem is the main relay that DriftGirl was talking about. Hondas of those years seem to have the same problem. Resoldering the joints is pretty easy. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to pull off the relay and 5 minutes to resolder.

As far as rust...you're right. In those NE states, rust can occur on any car. For a daily beater, you should be fine.

There is a tendency for those cars to shift hard when you go from Park to Drive or Reverse. On the automatic cars, it's the rear transmission mount. They are poorly design and will break easily. Most have bought new mounts for $120 and filled in the mount with polyurethane for added strength.
Old 07-19-10, 11:57 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I am not on a $3,000 budget, i am just throwing around the idea of picking this car up. As to looking at this car as a luxury car, i just saw it as a reliable cheap car. As to needing something done, it basically has had all wear and tear parts replaced, as well as all major services. I am not looking for a showroom car, just a decent run around car, possibly for the winter.
Old 07-19-10, 11:59 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Also the headgasket was replaced by the acura dealership that sold it brand new, i found it very strange that the guy would bring a car this old to the dealership, but he does for every car he owns, even his 1983 944. Oil changes and everything
Old 07-19-10, 12:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

If the headgasket was replaced by the Acura dealer, then you can look pass the worst problem every Legend owner dread of
Old 07-19-10, 12:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I am not on a $3,000 budget, i am just throwing around the idea of picking this car up. As to looking at this car as a luxury car, i just saw it as a reliable cheap car. As to needing something done, it basically has had all wear and tear parts replaced, as well as all major services. I am not looking for a showroom car, just a decent run around car, possibly for the winter.
It may be reliable, it may be cheap, but it will still cost you a pretty penny to keep it running. Occasionally it will need new parts and repairs, and they are going to be expensive.
Old 07-19-10, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Legend GS is the one to go for. I would be more apt to recommend the manual since it is more rare but both are rare and IMO the best sedans they have ever made.

Offer $2300 and go from there.

Old 07-19-10, 12:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

You don't think going from 3000 to 2300 is to low? I just don't want him to be insulted is all. I am sorry if its a stupid question, im not one to negotiate prices ha.
Old 07-19-10, 12:39 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have had their 94 Legend GS for almost 17 years now and have had no major problems. My mom just uses it to buy groceries now but the car still looks great..especially when it is newly waxed. Just as long as that owner has followed routine maintenance, it should be fine.

These pics are a few years old but the car still looks the same. Still garaged.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a Legend-carpics048.jpg   Looking to buy a Legend-carpics051.jpg   Looking to buy a Legend-carpics092.jpg  
Old 07-19-10, 12:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Don't do it.
Old 07-19-10, 12:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
It may be reliable, it may be cheap, but it will still cost you a pretty penny to keep it running. Occasionally it will need new parts and repairs, and they are going to be expensive.
Yeah, just ask my roomate. Not to mention that a Legend with a 4 spd auto is the opposite of fuel efficient. Requiring 91 octane, this will not be a cheap car to run.
Old 07-19-10, 12:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Same gold badging haha, and don't do it? why I won't drive it everyday, ill split it with my es300, probably drive it in the winter then sell it in the spring. I may loose money, or break even who knows.
Old 07-19-10, 12:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Good luck with the purchase. You are looking at a legendary car( pun intended). The first real Japanese premium luxury sedan. The spark that created Lexus and Infiniti. Awesome car in my book. This gen legend is a looker. I used to drool over them in high school
Old 07-19-10, 01:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well i am driving it tonight. I am leaving for chicago tomorrow morning so the timing is terrible, but when i get back ill have my guy look it all over and if it solid ill buy it and be driving it this time next week
Old 07-19-10, 01:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Before I bought my Lexus I was VERY close to buying a 6spd 2dr Legend with the type II motor. There was a HOT red one with saddle interior in absolutely MINT condition but I think they wanted around $20K for it...it was a '94 this was back in '03! The damn car was 9 years old and they still wanted $20K for it! But it had very low, original miles (I think around 40K) and it was mint! But, I passed it up and went with my GS and spent $10K more. lol

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Legend