Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a Legend

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:16 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Legend

I know i could have joined a legend forum for this, but since i know you guys all love legends i could ask it here. I am being offered a 1994 ACURA LEGEND GS:
-One Owner
-New Headgasket
-Black on tan
-All dealer services
-New battery
- Spoiler

The only bad i saw was there was a little rust, which i will include a picture of.
The guy is ASKING 3 GRAND. Anyone have any input on this, i will include more pictures of the car when i get them. Besides what i pictured its all pretty clean and the car has never been in an accident. Also, dont forget i am in the northeast, so finding a legend without rust is nearly impossible, especially a black gs.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a Legend-image-1.jpg   Looking to buy a Legend-image-2.jpg  
Old 07-19-10, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Is it one of the few 5-speed manuals produced? If so, avoid that model...the clutch was very troublesome.
Old 07-19-10, 08:33 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Nope it was an automatic
Old 07-19-10, 08:37 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Gs didn't come in 5 speed manual only auto or 6 speed manual. New HG that's a red flag... Why was it replaced at such relative low mileage? Looking at the pics I would pass on it. Looks like it's had a rough life. Having been owner to two legend coupes I can say they're great cars. I wouldn't mind getting one in good shape as a dd.
Old 07-19-10, 08:38 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal, despite the rust, and it is actually low mileage for a Legend. As I am sure you know, rust is very common on them period, NE especially.

I personally LOVE the Legend, think the 94-95's were the best, especially with the Type II motors and of course the GS was the top of the line for the Sedan.

You may be able to find a better one, but will probably pay $4k for it.
Old 07-19-10, 08:40 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like quite a bit of rust, but I'm in Texas so I don't see much of that... at all, really.
Old 07-19-10, 08:51 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch is fine on the Legends. The only problem they had is the same problem all Honda/Acura manual transmissions with hydrolic clutches had. The clutch slave and or clutch master would leak over time. Clutch slave was about a $150 part. Master about $300. Failure was about 60K miles or so.

For me that rust looks pretty bad. I had 3 Legends, my brother 1, and my friend had 2. None of us had a HG problem so even though the Legend seems to have a bad reputation for blowing HG somewhere north of 100K miles, I don't think its that big a deal.
Old 07-19-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Gs didn't come in 5 speed manual only auto or 6 speed manual.
Yeah, thanks... a typo. The clutch on that version, like I said above, was known to be troublesome. The 6MT, though, was dropped sometime in 1994, though, so his car may or may not have it.

On the other issues, with 122K miles on it, the engine and automatic (if so equipped) probably have some life left in them, if the car has been serviced properly. Honda built some very durable drivetrains back then. You'll probably get your $3000 worth (and, even then, you haven't lost much if it doesn't go that far). But, if possible, I'd get a CarFax report that will cover at least part of the car's history (I don't think CarFax was around in 1994 when it was built). And have the car put on a lift and the underside checked for rust/corrosion damage on any critical parts underneath...steering, suspension, frame, etc...... That could be dangerous if not caught.
Old 07-19-10, 08:58 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I love Acura Legends!!! I had a beauty black/black '92 LS sedan and loved it! It was MINT and always got compliments on it...that was my previous car. I had 168k on it when I traded it in...the headgasket was just starting to go.
Old 07-19-10, 10:09 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well i just found a little more about the car, the car fax comes up completely clean. The dealership has all the records, even oil changes were done there. Turns out the owner is a doctor who works with my dad. He is selling because he has to many cars, a 944, acura cl, acura rl, ml320, c230, and a 328i...i don't know why he has all these. The headgasket was replaced because he knew it was a common problem and has just recently put 2,200 into the car including repairing the headgasket, he has the reciept. As for the rust, i am in Buffalo so it doesn't rally bother me, i know that it could be fixed, just for how much i don't know. Here are two more pics
Old 07-19-10, 10:12 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Here you guys are. I will have it checked on the lift, i don't need a showroom car, jsut a reliable daily drive, and honestly for 3 grand, it doesnt seem to bad does it? I might be able to talk him down even more
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a Legend-image-3.jpg   Looking to buy a Legend-image-4.jpg  
Old 07-19-10, 10:57 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it. Seems well taken care of and if the lift turns up clean, then you should have a solid runner on your hands.
Old 07-19-10, 11:09 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Legends have a notorious cooling system. they over heat and the headgasket goes...pretty common and easily avoided if owners take action before it happens.

cooling system and the general module thats under the dash, drivers side, close to the door....get familiar with it. LoL!! people rebuild them or you can just replace it for 50-75 bucks. it WILL go out sooner or later.

people notice them going out in summer months because the interiors are hot and the connections on the module board become lose....no car start

you have to wait for it to cool off to restart the car.

you can also re-solder it if you're "handy". theres 5 or 6 spots that u can easily see.

other than that...they are great cars with timeless style

BTW, Im a current 4Dr G2 owner. I only drive it in the winter but I love the car. Ive owned 2 others in the past.

good luck!!
Old 07-19-10, 11:34 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, the headgasket problem was taken care of. That was the first question i was going to ask, but over the phone, it was the first thing the owner said, so he knows his car haha. I say minus the rust, its a solid runner. What i may do it buy it, and end up selling it to a friend because the more i think about it, i just put 600 into my es300
Old 07-19-10, 11:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're on a $3,000 budget, avoid a luxury car. Any used car you buy for this value is going to need something done, regardless or how reliable it may be, and you're just better off with an economy box because parts and labor are fewer and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Legend