Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 10:13 AM
LexFather

I think CVTs might be costlier to produce unless a bunch of vehicles uses them. I have plenty of experience with CVTs now with an 07 Altima, 07 GS 450h and 06 400h. I remember driving the 400h years ago and it felt weird. However for driving around, it really is a great tranny and the power is always where it needs to be in regards to the tranny.

Manual shifting is funny since the CVT has to simulate gears to pretend you are downshifting. Oddly it works but it doesn't sound sexy at all

I think in the luxury realm "More" is better in regards to advertising as well. Its easier to say "my car has a 9 speed". Trust me, my 450h has a worlds first dual planetary CVT and its pretty impossible for me to explain it when people ask about the tranny.

Old 07-19-10, 10:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

While we're at it, might as well throw in a crawler gear for some serious torque. I might need that when I go off roading in my luxury sedan

I can't imagine paddle shifting with 9 gears. I'd lose track after 6th gear
Old 07-19-10, 10:33 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ lol 1SICK, you should just walk around with a diagram of how the CVT works so anytime someone asks you can just show them the pic.
Old 07-19-10, 11:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester
^ lol 1SICK, you should just walk around with a diagram of how the CVT works so anytime someone asks you can just show them the pic.
LOL....its one thing I like about BMW, Benz, Lexus, RR...it talks for you....however owning a hybrid GS is different.... good idea about the diagrams lol

Old 07-19-10, 12:54 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

BMW went with an 8 spd. auto because they found that 9 speeds was too many and proved to be less efficient.
Old 07-19-10, 04:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I came across an M56 owner who traded his LS460 in cause he said the trans spent too much time hunting for the right gear, Im sure the M56 is just a different car all together, not so much a trans issue for his trade, never have I driven an LS460, but having had a lot of time behind the wheel of an FX50, G37 and M56, I really can't feel the shifting, you can hear it, not so much feel it at all, super smooth, I test drove an LS460 (I don't think a test drive qualifies to write about ownership experience of owning and driving day to day) and it was super smooth, but the car felt like a vault, I liked it but not for me.
Old 07-19-10, 05:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short I will gladly and purposely select the advanced and proven currently available 6/7/8 speed trannys (and maybe a 9 speed in the future) over any CVT currently on the market. I think most premium car buyer agree and the leading automakers know it.

The latest advanced multispeed trannys have great performance and efficiency with more reliable designs and in some cases fewer parts than older 5 speed trannys.

In hybrids, I think the CVT is the best choice.

Regardless those are my personal preferences.
Old 07-19-10, 05:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Do they really need 9 gears?? seems a bit ridiculous
Old 07-19-10, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If they want to make 9 Gears, then by all means make 9 gears. Only a matter of time when someone tries to up the ante again
Old 07-19-10, 06:49 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Come on Lexus bring out the 12-speed!
Old 07-19-10, 07:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
BMW went with an 8 spd. auto because they found that 9 speeds was too many and proved to be less efficient.
There has to be some point of diminishing returns. I wouldn't doubt if 8 speeds is it.
Old 07-19-10, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I came across an M56 owner who traded his LS460 in cause he said the trans spent too much time hunting for the right gear, Im sure the M56 is just a different car all together, not so much a trans issue for his trade, never have I driven an LS460, but having had a lot of time behind the wheel of an FX50, G37 and M56, I really can't feel the shifting, you can hear it, not so much feel it at all, super smooth, I test drove an LS460 (I don't think a test drive qualifies to write about ownership experience of owning and driving day to day) and it was super smooth, but the car felt like a vault, I liked it but not for me.
Well good luck b/c their 7 speed ain't exactly class leading and glad they finally joined the fold. Not to mention all these cars have so many different transmission settings (sport, normal, etc etc)

Old 07-19-10, 10:02 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well good luck b/c their 7 speed ain't exactly class leading and glad they finally joined the fold. Not to mention all these cars have so many different transmission settings (sport, normal, etc etc)
interesting response, did your presentation not go over well
Old 07-19-10, 10:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care until two or three of those speeds are for Reverse...
Old 07-19-10, 10:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think CVTs might be costlier to produce unless a bunch of vehicles uses them. I have plenty of experience with CVTs now with an 07 Altima, 07 GS 450h and 06 400h. I remember driving the 400h years ago and it felt weird. However for driving around, it really is a great tranny and the power is always where it needs to be in regards to the tranny.
Maybe a little off-topic, but check out the Legacy 2.5L's CVT. I don't think you'll be disapponted. I can't honestly recommend the car, though, because of several defect/recall issues. But the Subaru units, IMO, outdo even the Nissan ones for driving/shifting feel.

Manual shifting is funny since the CVT has to simulate gears to pretend you are downshifting. Oddly it works but it doesn't sound sexy at all
In one sense, it is a downshift, but, of course, not like a conventional tranny with gears. With the Nissan/Subaru CVT's, the paddle-shifts simply move the drive belt up and down the 2 cones to 6 pre-programmed places. Instead of changing gears, the belt simply moves to a different drive ratio and "locks" in with the shift-paddle or auto-shift lever.

Quick Reply: Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?