Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, like that's some key to success (proof is the RL selling 170 units per month, hard to beat that pathetic low point in sales).

The fact is the best multispeed trannys shift so smooth and quiet that most people cannot even detect the upshifts and downshifts. Plus the ratios are so close that big jumps in ratios don't happen.
Exactly. Anyone arguing otherwise doesn't read. These new trannies allow the cars to be FASTER and get BETTER MPG and in some case they are LIGHTER and LESS COMPLICATED.

What the hell is there not to love? Luxury is about excess, not what someone "needs". Otherwise we'd all drive 20 year old Integras

Old 07-21-10, 08:14 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Are they trying to build a bike or a car??? 9 speeds is just lame.......so is the 8 speed in the Lexus
Lol!

Care to explain your point as it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about?

The 8 speeds in the Lexus' allow for gas mileage that just can't happen with the other trannys. Curious how many C63's and M3's are getting 25 mpg on the highway? In the F, the first 6 gears are the performance ones, with 7/8 being essentially overdrive for the great mileage we get. I can't comment on the LS but would assume it's similar.

We have the 7 speed in our ML and get about 4 miles to the gallon better than our X5 with the 6 speed. Granted, the X5 has a little bit more power, but with the new 8 speed BMW is offering I would expect that the mileage would be close. Why wouldn't you want a tranny that offers better performance and mileage?
Old 07-21-10, 08:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I think tractors had as much as 72 speeds using a conventional transmission :P.

Anyways
Since AMG Speedshift > G-TRONIC, then I guess MB is also preparing for a performance version of their upcoming 9-speed gearbox too for AMG Sport/Performance models.

Still, if you want more gears, then I believe that CVT and D-Drive IVT are the ways to go for this. I mean, if we are that hungry for more gears, then what's the point of 30 speed (like Shimano bikes) or 72 speed (tractors) or even gears that are OVVVVVEEERRRRR NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!! .

When CVT and D-Drive IVT will give you INFINITY
Old 07-21-10, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Lol!

Care to explain your point as it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about?

The 8 speeds in the Lexus' allow for gas mileage that just can't happen with the other trannys. Curious how many C63's and M3's are getting 25 mpg on the highway? In the F, the first 6 gears are the performance ones, with 7/8 being essentially overdrive for the great mileage we get. I can't comment on the LS but would assume it's similar.

We have the 7 speed in our ML and get about 4 miles to the gallon better than our X5 with the 6 speed. Granted, the X5 has a little bit more power, but with the new 8 speed BMW is offering I would expect that the mileage would be close. Why wouldn't you want a tranny that offers better performance and mileage?
Exactly. lol at people not wanting technological progress. I guess we should use halogens and not HIDs either, no ABS and no A/C and roll the windows down.

Hey everyone, lets all wish we had those great 5 speed autos only. LMFAO the Lexus GS/SC/LS gained a 5 speed in 1997 Lol at still offering a 5 speed in 2010.

Again, kudos to Benz for upping the ante. I'm sure they will beef it up to handle the power some engines offer as well.

Old 07-21-10, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The fact is the best multispeed trannys shift so smooth and quiet that most people cannot even detect the upshifts and downshifts. Plus the ratios are so close that big jumps in ratios don't happen.
All correct.......I won't deny that. Butter-smooth transmissions, though, where shifts are virtually undetectable, are nothing new...they go back to the magic-carpet Buick Dynaflow and Super-Turbine 300 automatics of the 50s and 60s, which were smoother even than their Cadillac brothers. Problem is...they didn't have any efficiency.

More gears, though, means more shifting, detectable or not...and more wear. Hopefully (?), advances in transmission quality/engineering/materials will offset the added-wear issue.
Old 07-21-10, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

manufacturers have a gun to their heads known as fuel economy mandates. more gears are one way to get there. it will be pushed as luxury, but that's not the reason, imo, they're doing it.
Old 07-21-10, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
manufacturers have a gun to their heads known as fuel economy mandates. more gears are one way to get there. it will be pushed as luxury, but that's not the reason, imo, they're doing it.
With smaller and lower-torque vehicles, CVTs are negating the need for multi-gear transmissions, though some newer CVTs can be used with 250-300 HP and equivalent torque.
Old 07-21-10, 10:04 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With smaller and lower-torque vehicles, CVTs are negating the need for multi-gear transmissions, though some newer CVTs can be used with 250-300 HP and equivalent torque.
Yeah, i think eventually, CVT's will be able to handle lots of power and will be replacing many of these 9+ gear trannies...
Old 07-21-10, 01:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

i'm all for it.
Old 07-21-10, 05:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

All correct.......I won't deny that. Butter-smooth transmissions, though, where shifts are virtually undetectable, are nothing new...they go back to the magic-carpet Buick Dynaflow and Super-Turbine 300 automatics of the 50s and 60s, which were smoother even than their Cadillac brothers. Problem is...they didn't have any efficiency.
Yes in the modern era you can have smoothness/performance/efficiency.
When I pay premium prices for a car, I want the best available.

Yes, I've listened carefully with my sharp ears to a 7 speed MB tranny shift quickly and effectively when accelerating hard. It reminds me of a high performance motrocycle. No complaints when it can deliver both perforance and fuel efficiency. Most people will never hear it or even feel it.

In contrast I'm driving a 2010 Prius CVT this week and listened to droning and motor boating for hundrids of miles through the Canadian mountains for comparison, lol. Blahhh but its cheap on gas for sure.

All that internet hearsay about more wear from more shifting is a joke when many of these trannys have fewer moving parts and are more reliable than the 3/4/5 speed trannys of the recent pass (usually bantered around by people with zero background in the automotive service business).

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-21-10 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 06:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
not enough.

needs 21 speed with Shimano shifters.
gotta be Dura Ace.
Old 07-21-10, 07:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
gotta be Dura Ace.
Yes, I used to enjoy the positive shifting action on Dura Ace setups.
Old 07-21-10, 07:32 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bring out the 24-speed, with a squeeze bubble horn and pink flairs for the side mirrors. At some point with gear ratioing, it just doesn't improve much and is just a means to say "hey, we got more gears !!!"
Old 07-21-10, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In contrast I'm driving a 2010 Prius CVT this week and listened to droning and motor boating for hundrids of miles through the Canadian mountains for comparison, lol. Blahhh but its cheap on gas for sure.
Not all CVTs motorboat or rubber-band these days; especially the ones from Subaru and Nissan.

Like you, I myself don't particularly like how the Prius transmissions work (or those on the Insight either)...and I've driven all three generations of them. But, like you say, they DO contribute to phenominal gas mileage.

All that internet hearsay about more wear from more shifting is a joke when many of these trannys have fewer moving parts and are more reliable than the 3/4/5 speed trannys of the recent pass (usually bantered around by people with zero background in the automotive service business).
All else equal (which it often isn't), more shifting does mean (potentially) more wear.....that isn't just hearsay; but I did mention in this thread, in an earlier post, essentially what you just said......that good engineering and materials in a transmission can hopefully overcome that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 09:16 PM
LexFather

The CVT in the Altima we had was responsive but loud and course. But it is a 20k car. In comparison our 400h and 450h CVT is much much better.

All sound as sexy as Betty White singing in a thong

Quick Reply: Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?