Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
None of the nitpicking changes the facts that it contributed to improved economy (for a dated iron block pushrod, 2 valve motor of the past back then when it was invented) and was very noticeable and very annoying to astute drivers, not a good compremise.

Again I'm sorry for allowing this to drift off topic, and the crappy feature is not how any of the top automakers chose to "up the ante", therefore not applicable.
I agree that it drifted off-topic, but my points were not "nitpicking". There is no need, though, to continue this line. So, OK then..............back to the Mercedes 9-speed.
Old 07-24-10, 08:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Reminds me of razor blade counts.
Twin blade,Mach 3,Schick Titanium 4 and now Fusion 5 blade.
Tried the others and still prefer the Mach 3.
6 speed trans are good.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-24-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-24-10, 10:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that it drifted off-topic, but my points were not "nitpicking". There is no need, though, to continue this line. So, OK then..............back to the Mercedes 9-speed.
Agreed/whatever/nobody cares/ok/back to "upping the ante".
Old 07-24-10, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's another reference to it. The code for the transmission will apparantly be 9G-Tronic.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11007192...on---9g-tronic

According to a recent report, Mercedes is developing a nine-speed automatic transmission.

Dubbed 9G-Tronic, the gearbox will offer improved fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions compared to the seven-speed 7G-Tronic. It will be used on large displacement engines and possibly debut on the redesigned 2012 S-Class.

Going forward, Mercedes apparently believes nine gears is the maximum number of ratios that are technically possible. More importantly, the company thinks consumers won't accept a ten-speed unit.

As you may recall, the 7G-Tronic was the first seven-speed automatic transmission when it was introduced in 2003. In recent years, it has been outclassed by the new 8-speed ZF transmission used by Audi and BMW.

More importantly, the company thinks consumers won't accept a ten-speed unit.
Quite interesting.
Old 07-24-10, 04:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good info coming out of Benz (^ thanks), nice to see significant improvement over the already very good and strong performing/smooth/efficient/reliable 7 speed version. I view the progress in premium car transmissions as important to the astute driver (not to mention the importance to the automakers in contributing to fleet fuel efficiency) and place little emphasis on the number (#) of forward gears itself.

Note: In my experience with salespeople in the premium car business the number of gears/speeds has rarely been mentioned to me.

Although interesting, none of this comes as any surprise to me. I would be more surprised if Mercedes was standing still with it's tranny technology (it's not).

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-24-10 at 04:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-24-10, 10:18 PM
LexFather

Here's another reference to it. The code for the transmission will apparantly be 9G-Tronic.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11007192...on---9g-tronic

According to a recent report, Mercedes is developing a nine-speed automatic transmission.

Dubbed 9G-Tronic, the gearbox will offer improved fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions compared to the seven-speed 7G-Tronic. It will be used on large displacement engines and possibly debut on the redesigned 2012 S-Class.

Going forward, Mercedes apparently believes nine gears is the maximum number of ratios that are technically possible. More importantly, the company thinks consumers won't accept a ten-speed unit.

As you may recall, the 7G-Tronic was the first seven-speed automatic transmission when it was introduced in 2003. In recent years, it has been outclassed by the new 8-speed ZF transmission used by Audi and BMW.

Quite interesting.
Funny they forget to mention the Lexus 8 speed which was first

I think a company might be scared to touch "10 speed" out of jokes....

Old 07-24-10, 11:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, "10 speed", not good, at least for those of us old enough to remember....
Old 07-24-10, 11:25 PM
LexFather

Pic

Old 07-25-10, 11:22 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Note: In my experience with salespeople in the premium car business the number of gears/speeds has rarely been mentioned to me.
That's likely due to the fact that, typically, they know less about the cars that we're shopping for than we do.
Old 07-25-10, 10:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
That's likely due to the fact that, typically, they know less about the cars that we're shopping for than we do.
For sure (regarding automotive knowledge) that is true 99.9% of the time, at least for people like us.
Old 07-26-10, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I find that salespeople, typically, are pretty good with things like how to operate complex features like NAV/I-Drive/Sync/I-Pod//MMI/Bluetooth/MP3, etc...., but often lack a basic understanding of the car's basic platform, mechanical features, layout, and marketing....and, of course, that of the competition. When I look at, test-drive, or review a car, they often have to show me the former while I show them the latter.
Old 07-26-10, 08:04 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I find that salespeople, typically, are pretty good with things like how to operate complex features like NAV/I-Drive/Sync/I-Pod//MMI/Bluetooth/MP3, etc...., but often lack a basic understanding of the car's basic platform, mechanical features, layout, and marketing....and, of course, that of the competition. When I look at, test-drive, or review a car, they often have to show me the former while I show them the latter.
Agreed Mike!
Old 07-26-10, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

really? the few times i were at bmw and mb, they had trouble really doing things right the first shot on the nav
Old 07-26-10, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
really? the few times i were at bmw and mb, they had trouble really doing things right the first shot on the nav
You're probably better at that kind of stuff than I am, Henry......maybe better than some of the salespeople. I tend to like simpler, old-school buttons/*****/controls.
Old 07-26-10, 02:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My wife is a pro at Nav systems for some reason, she can figure all of them out quickly (but she uses them frequently so practice makes perfect I guess).