Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:46 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html

When Mercedes introduced its 7-speed transmission, the German automaker launched a new era of multi-geared auto-boxes with all other luxury automakers taking part in a bid to offer increased performance and fuel economy. Lexus responded with an 8-speed automatic transmission, Infiniti developed a 7-speed box and both BMW and Audi now have 8-speed units as well. So what is Mercedes to do if it wants to stay at the top? Develop a 9-speed of course!

And that is just what engineers at the luxury automaker are doing, reports AutoCar. According to sources inside the company familiar with future engineering products, a new 9-speed automatic transmission is being developed that will drastically improve fuel economy.

According to those same sources, the new slushbox will be used on large displacement engines, meaning that it will most certainly come equipped on AMG models. Anything more than a 9-speed is unlikely though, as engineers believe that along with certain technical obstacles, consumers don’t want that much shifting.

The insider source gave no clues as to how far along in the development phase the new 9-speed unit is, or when we might first see it on a production model.
Old 07-19-10, 08:50 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

9 gears, wow... and just a few years ago, auto-6 was a lot!
Old 07-19-10, 08:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 787 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
9 gears, wow... and just a few years ago, auto-6 was a lot!
Seriously. I remember going from the 4AT in my Accord to the 6AT in the IS. I wouldn't mind a nice overdrive gear that will allow me to cruise at 70-75 and return great mileage though
Old 07-19-10, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Anything more than a 9-speed is unlikely though, as engineers believe that along with certain technical obstacles, consumers don’t want that much shifting.
More shifting, of course, also means more wear on the transmission's internal parts.

The ultimate answer, of course, is a CVT....with an infinite number.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 09:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting. So many Mercedes fans were saying that an 8AT was overkill and that their 7AT was perfect...
Old 07-19-10, 09:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ultimate answer, of course, is a CVT....with an infinite number.
I don't know that many people are ready to embrace CVTs with open arms. Those owning Nissans and hybrids have gotten used to them but I still know plenty of folks who don't like their "droning" nature or who prefer the feel of gears shifting.
Old 07-19-10, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know that many people are ready to embrace CVTs with open arms. Those owning Nissans and hybrids have gotten used to them but I still know plenty of folks who don't like their "droning" nature or who prefer the feel of gears shifting.
Subaru CVT's (and, I believe, also Nissan units as well) have 6 programmed selectable "Gears" with the paddle-shifters. What they really are is 6 programmable belt-drive ratios when the transmission is in the Sportshift mode. You can select each one acording to conditions.
Old 07-19-10, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol this is getting really "interesting". with 8 gears in my ls460l, i already thought if it's entirely necessary (first 3 gears go by really fast)... why not just cvt if they want efficiency and smoothness
Old 07-19-10, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

a new 9-speed automatic transmission is being developed that will drastically improve fuel economy.
It may improve fuel economy at very high German Autobahn speeds, but I see little use for it on most other roads. And at very high speeeds, aerodynamics/air-resistance also plays a big role in fuel economy, not just transmisison gearing.
Old 07-19-10, 09:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 787 Likes on 551 Posts

Are CVTs able to handle the high torque loads from the large displacement engines yet? If not, a 9AT (although I think 8 is still more than enough) might be a good stop gap to help with CAFE standards.
Old 07-19-10, 09:31 AM
LexFather

For most drivers it's a great thing as it allows a carmaker to add more power and also increase MPG and increase acceleration. It also allows for good advertising.

Remember the Lexus 8speed uses less parts than the 6speed and from what we have seen the 8 speed is bulletproof.

BMWand Audi have 8 speeds now with Lexus. We all know Benz was going to join or pass sooner or later and I applaud the effort.

Old 07-19-10, 09:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not just go with the CVT? It is often said that CVT can't handle a lot of torque, but in the LS600h it is handling more torque than the 8 speed in the LS460. I'm not 100% sure that the torque of the electric motors is transferred through the CVT, but even if its not, its still handling at least as much torque as the 8 speed with no issues.
Old 07-19-10, 09:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I appreciate the effort BUT

Will we ever be contented? If so when? When we reach 30 speed transmission (like those Shimano bicylces :P)?

IMHO, before breaking into double-digit gears.......we should look at any consequences (both positive and negative).

So in a hypothetical situation, do we expect that by year 2020, if these double-digit gear transmissions come along, I can't imagine how you'll shift in manual mode in this thing.

If you let's say have like a Shimano 30 speed transmission in let's say a MY 2020 Lexus LS 460 (for example), so if you run manual mode on this, do you upshift every 10 km/h . Not to mention that since you have double-digit number of gears, expect the gearbox to go gear-hunting.

Hence IMHO, instead of double digit gears (10-speed gear or more), FOCUS ON CVT!!!

I mean, if you're really desperate in having a transmission with 10 speeds, 20 speeds, 30 speeds or 500 speeds.........then, why bother with those when you can use CVT which gives you INFINITE

Just make the timing chain, belt or whatever components stronger.....so that they can run on V8 engines, 10 cylinder, 12 cylinder engines or more.

The existing products are already neat. Just improve on them and who knows, maybe in the future (hopefully), cutting-edge CVTs can handle power and torque of an MB S65 AMG or an Audi Q7 V12 Turbodiesel .
Old 07-19-10, 10:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm infinite cylinders + infinite gears = infinite possibilities
Old 07-19-10, 10:07 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In an auto (that isn't a truck) I think CVT is where it's at. Also, unless you're buying a sporty car, how much could you possibly care about hearing/feeling the gear change?

I think you still need gears in auto trucks because you might pull things and need a 1st or 2nd gear, or a low range etc; in something like an S-klasse I think CVT would probably go over just fine.

Quick Reply: Mercedes to Up The Ante in Transmission Wars With 9-speed?