Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10K what to buy?-fun,economical,drivers car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 07:25 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny735
Thanks everyone..Miata was never on the radar ..to be honest Im not a big fan of it...I am leaning towards the Cooper or Solstice...the Miata just looks and feels to cramped...Im 5"11 and 220 on a low carb day
One more vote for the Miata. Until last fall, I used one as a commuter for 4 or 5 years. (replaced it with the IS, only because I needed a back seat for the baby)

Mine was a 95 with about 70k on the OD, and I only paid $6k (US) for it in pristine condition. When I traded it in, it had 120k on it, and it was as trouble free as the day I bought it. Very reliable car. Consistently averaged ~35mpg as well, no matter how hard I flogged it.

Only two things I would suggest, if you consider one. First, invest in a good set of snows for it. With Blizzaks, surprisingly enough, I got through the worst of Pittsburgh winters. Second, if you can find one, invest in a hard-top. Like any older ragtop, the roofs tend to leak with age.

I'm 6'2", and 190 lbs, and fit just fine in the car. But if your very broad-of-shoulder (and gut ) it might be a little tight of a squeeze. Once you drive one though, you;ll forget all about that. It's more fun than most sportscars three times it's price!!
Old 07-20-10, 06:56 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife used to have a 92 Miata and good snow tires with some weight in the trunk drove better in the snow than my FWD 626 I had at the time. It is certainly a big difference from a LS.

Another car to consider is the mid-90s Honda Del Sol. While it is FWD, it has a more roomy cabin than the Miata, a big trunk, and a targa top that stores under the trunk lid (still leaving plenty of space in the trunk). Be sure to get the five speed and try to avoid the riced-out units. I bought one for one of my sons as a first car. Like many first cars, it sacrificed it's body and let him walk away from a one-car accident.
Old 07-20-10, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner

Another car to consider is the mid-90s Honda Del Sol. While it is FWD, it has a more roomy cabin than the Miata, a big trunk, and a targa top that stores under the trunk lid (still leaving plenty of space in the trunk). Be sure to get the five speed and try to avoid the riced-out units. I bought one for one of my sons as a first car. Like many first cars, it sacrificed it's body and let him walk away from a one-car accident.
The Del Sol had a number of body-integrity problems like cowl shake, rattles/squeaks/leaks, etc....(I hope that wasn't the case with your son's car). Honda, at the time, had little experience with that type of open-roof car with removable panels, even though it wasn't a full-convertible like the Miata. And today's computer-sourced structural enginnering, of course, has eliminated much of that.
Old 07-21-10, 06:28 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

I can't recommend the DelSol either. Have known a few people who had them, and the only ones who liked them were non-enthusiasts.

Like mmarshall said, lots of structural integrity issues. Everything from minor leaks and squeaks, to the body flexing enough under stress to pop the targa panel loose. Some even had the rear windows break from all the chassis flex.

Though it was the replacement for the CRX, it was (in my opinion) a very poor one. Now the CRX would be a great car for your needs - FWD, great on gas, and extremely fun to drive. But your also looking at a car that's gonna be 20 years old, and hard to find with under 100k miles.
Old 07-21-10, 07:21 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Scion tC isn't really a driver's car...
stock...definitely not the best

but i have driven a 1.5" lowered tC with upgraded sway bars and strut bars and it handles pretty well, definitely a good investment if he was to consider this route.

i had no issues or concerns when tossing it into the turns
Old 07-21-10, 08:39 AM
LexFather

According to the internet fanboy forum video either a Miata, RX-8 or E30 BMW

Old 07-21-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman

Though it was the replacement for the CRX, it was (in my opinion) a very poor one. Now the CRX would be a great car for your needs - FWD, great on gas, and extremely fun to drive. But your also looking at a car that's gonna be 20 years old, and hard to find with under 100k miles.
Agreed. And the CRX will do more than 100K if properly cared for. I've seen even neglected ones go the better part of 200K. But the Miata, IMO, is still probably a better choice.......it continued in production long after the CRX was dropped, and there is a much better pool to choose from.
Old 07-21-10, 11:32 AM
cliu92
Driver School Candidate

I would like to 2nd the 04+ impreza. I've been in my friends car with a vf-34 turbo upgrade. Thing is crazy fast. can't beat awd either
Old 07-21-10, 11:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn that 300c SRT8 woulda been fun.
Old 07-21-10, 11:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say go with the mini cooper. Its small, economical, tunable, fun to drive, fwd, and has German build quality. I would say the 350z would be my best choice but considering where you live AWD or FWD would be a safer bet
Old 07-21-10, 12:05 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Miata!!

Sways + Coils + Roll bar
Old 07-21-10, 12:22 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a early 2000's Honda prelude or even a S2000?

Both are fun, economical, and can be had relatively cheap depending on year & mileage. Trickiest part.....finding one not owned by some yahoo who put a shopping cart wing or stickers on it
Old 07-21-10, 10:25 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Toyota MR-S/Mazda Miata/BMW E36 3-er.
Old 07-21-10, 10:59 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manny735
Hey everyone..looking for some advice..I start a new job next week which requires me to commute 45 minutes each way...as of recently I was working 5 minutes from home so the commute was no issue...anyways...I dont want to drive my LS to work so am looking for a second car..want to spend 10K or under...looking for something fun,automatic,used ..max 60,000 miles...a trouble free car...nothing that needs or will need alot of repairs down the road....prefer AWD or FWD..but might settle for RWD...it can be a 2 seat or 4....I was thinking of a Mini,350z,Solstice,golf,jetta,...something along those lines...something that would put a smile to face when i rip corners etc...not looking for a civic.....thanks in advance....
I can't comprehend how you could possibly go from riding in your LS on a regular basis to driving something under $10K as a daily. (I LOVE the LS btw )

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would say go with the mini cooper. Its small, economical, tunable, fun to drive, fwd, and has German build quality. I would say the 350z would be my best choice but considering where you live AWD or FWD would be a safer bet
Sure, go from a super reliable vehicle, to just about the least reliable, worst rated brand available.
Old 07-21-10, 10:59 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m a bit scared there are so many of you like the Miata… I might have to shave my head, trim my eyebrow, and paint my finger nails before I put down the top of Miata… (excuse me from SF Bay Area) j/k

Back to topic, I highly recommend the Mazda 3!!!

Quick Reply: 10K what to buy?-fun,economical,drivers car