Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 05:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Which is probably why it doesn't sell much.
Z06's seem to sell pretty good....6 spd only; same with ZR1

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
With a manual you dont even need a lot of power to have fun. To bad its a dying breed.
yep, even my 2000 Honda Insight was a little fun with the manual tranny...I couldn't imagine driving that slow dog with the CVT.
Old 07-22-10, 07:00 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A proper MT requires RWD. You can't get a proper burnout with FWD without endangering those delicate little CV joints. Then there's the problem of torque steer with FWD and an engine that is capable of producing vast quantities of twist. Try powering hard out of a corner while hanging onto the steering wheel as the LSD and stability control vie for dominance, sawing the wheel for you. No, technology in general mitigates against the sporting experience at the wheel.

Then again comes practicality. Most American drivers spend an inordinate amount of time in commuter traffic. Had we stuck with manuals, we would have begun to evolve enormous left thighs. AT's are far and away more practical for at least three-quarters of our everyday driving, where we are either in slow stop-and-go traffic, or out on that super-slab droning along at a respectful and constant 70 mph, letting the cruise control handle the right pedal inputs.

At the same time, look at our roads. No one is building twisty, scenic two-lanes through hills and woods anymore. Downhill decreasing radius turns that used to challenge a driver have been legislated out of existence. Our blacktop experience is being homogenized into endless ribbons of flat, straight, concrete that extend to the horizon. Every year there are fewer reasons to own a sporting vehicle. For city dwellers, we are having to drive for an hour or two just to find an interesting road.

One day we will trailer our lithe 2-seat roadsters to a distant rural venue, or perhaps a two-lane blacktop park where for a fee you can experience the howl of Michelin against tarmac, the blat of an exhaust on overrun, and the sweet smell of Castrol (the real castor oil kind) in your nostrils. Lace up your stringback driving gloves, get involved with the road as you only can with a high-spirited, temperamental mount that defines the separation between "drive" and "ride".

I'm worried that our children's children may one day be asking, "What's an apex, daddy?"

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-22-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 07:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by oguitar
Manual transmissions are much funner to drive.
funner?

Europe loves manual transmissions as well.
being from europe, i can explain why... for decades, due to lack of disposable income, the cars predominantly built and bought there were REALLY CHEAP cars with TINY TINY gutless engines and an auto was a) too expensive, and b) would sap the tiny amount of power out of those lawnmower type engines. now auto trannies are much more efficient, and more popular in europe (especially given their foul traffic), but that's the reason why manual transmissions have been more common there, and because that's what's been more in use, of course they're more comfortable with them there. plus, you can't get a 'full' drivers license in the uk (well you couldn't years ago anyway) unless the car's a stick.

Personally I vow to always drive a manual transmission.
always is a long time.
Old 07-22-10, 07:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funner?

being from europe, i can explain why... For decades, due to lack of disposable income, the cars predominantly built and bought there were really cheap cars with tiny tiny gutless engines and an auto was a) too expensive, and b) would sap the tiny amount of power out of those lawnmower type engines. Now auto trannies are much more efficient, and more popular in europe (especially given their foul traffic), but that's the reason why manual transmissions have been more common there, and because that's what's been more in use, of course they're more comfortable with them there. Plus, you can't get a 'full' drivers license in the uk (well you couldn't years ago anyway) unless the car's a stick.

Always is a long time.
qftmft
Old 07-22-10, 08:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to agree, the MT still has a place with certain segments of cars. My preference is an MT in my weekend sports car.
Old 07-22-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A proper MT requires RWD. You can't get a proper burnout with FWD without endangering those delicate little CV joints.
Gotta disagree there, Lil. The FWD Honda Civic and Acura Integra have what I consider two of the crispest, easiest-to-use MT linkages on the planet. So, of course, does the RWD Miata. And you will tear up any car doing burnouts, though, of course, an old-fashioned live axle in back offers some resistance.

As for the Civic, its FWD linkage and clutch are so easy-to use that I've known people that couldn't drive any other MT on the road, but could handle Civics with little problem.

Then again comes practicality. Most American drivers spend an inordinate amount of time in commuter traffic. Had we stuck with manuals, we would have begun to evolve enormous left thighs. AT's are far and away more practical for at least three-quarters of our everyday driving, where we are either in slow stop-and-go traffic, or out on that super-slab droning along at a respectful and constant 70 mph, letting the cruise control handle the right pedal inputs.

At the same time, look at our roads. No one is building twisty, scenic two-lanes through hills and woods anymore. Downhill decreasing radius turns that used to challenge a driver have been legislated out of existence. Our blacktop experience is being homogenized into endless ribbons of flat, straight, concrete that extend to the horizon. Every year there are fewer reasons to own a sporting vehicle. For city dwellers, we are having to drive for an hour or two just to find an interesting road.

Yes, that is probably the #1 reason why MTs are dying out. Traffic congestion, in many areas, makes the use of a clutch pedal just too cumbersome. Under those conditions, the clutch itself wears out very rapidly, too.
Old 07-22-10, 09:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta disagree there, Lil. The FWD Honda Civic and Acura Integra have what I consider two of the crispest, easiest-to-use MT linkages on the planet. So, of course, does the RWD Miata. And you will tear up any car doing burnouts, though, of course, an old-fashioned live axle in back offers some resistance.

As for the Civic, its FWD linkage and clutch are so easy-to use that I've known people that couldn't drive any other MT on the road, but could handle Civics with little problem.
I put 80K on my '95 Civic EX, and I agree, it is an outstanding tranny for any car, but without reinforcement in the EX, with the additional horsepower available in that model, injudicious handling of the clutch can reduce it, the transmission, and the CV joints to scrap rather quickly.

There isn't much torque available from the 1.6 liter, 125 horsepower four, and trying to substitute "flywheel power" on launch isn't really productive, although you can burn off several thousand miles worth of rubber in addition to destroying the driveline downstream. It's a matter of knowing your limitations and respecting the hardware.

In normal driving, the clutch and shifter linkage is a delight - it should be the world standard. While I could complain about the clutch's long stroke, and typical hydraulic lack of "feel" is is plenty adequate for the type vehicle for which it was designed.

Yes, that is probably the #1 reason why MTs are dying out. Traffic congestion, in many areas, makes the use of a clutch pedal just too cumbersome. Under those conditions, the clutch itself wears out very rapidly, too.
That was why I finally traded for my first RX, the clutch, transmission synchronizers, and CV joints had just about enough of freeway commuting, and for an "economy" car, repairs by a fully competent shop were up there in the stratosphere with Lexus. Still, would I buy another Honda? They have a permanent spot on my short list.
Old 07-22-10, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Z06's seem to sell pretty good....6 spd only; same with ZR1

yep, even my 2000 Honda Insight was a little fun with the manual tranny...I couldn't imagine driving that slow dog with the CVT.
I totally agree. The funny thing is some people were wondering why the new CRZ would come with a short throw 6 speed manual.............uhh because its fun and it makes an anemic motor liveable and fun
Old 07-22-10, 10:38 AM
LexFather

I like manuals and hope they don't go away but just because its a manual does not mean its superior or some great car. I hate Lexus manuals, they suck, they are not fluid, its not fun and they should stick to automatics. In contrast Hondas have maybe the best manuals but its b/c their cars have 4 lbs of torque and it takes no effort to use the clutch and engage the gear.

If you want to be in tune with the car, yes buy a manual and I think everyone should know how to drive a manual. That said I don't think all manuals are great thus its not an automatic win.

With traffic increasing

Originally Posted by STIG
I hate C and D as much as you do, but this is for a good cause.

1Sick, please do your part.
I did back in 1996 with a manual ES 300 which is still here.

Well, Mike (1SICK), I'll ask CL's most well-known C&D-hater: Does this give the magazine any credibility in your view?
Nope, they are trying to seem cool but its a farce they could care less. Lets all be honest here, manuals are nearly dead and I think the only thing that will help their appeal is not really the benefits of a manual but the PERCEIVED benefits and image of owning one.

Own a manual= you are cool

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I totally agree. The funny thing is some people were wondering why the new CRZ would come with a short throw 6 speed manual.............uhh because its fun and it makes an anemic motor liveable and fun
The CRzzzzzz is a joke. It needs more power period.

Old 07-22-10, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The CRzzzzzz is a joke. It needs more power period.
I'll withold more comment on the CR-Z until I review it (it's on my list), but, right off the bat, perhaps the engineers/designers should have considered the RDX's turbo 4 as at least a non-hybid option.
Old 07-22-10, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In contrast Hondas have maybe the best manuals but its b/c their cars have 4 lbs of torque and it takes no effort to use the clutch and engage the gear.
LOL @ 4lbs of torque...
Old 07-22-10, 04:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

it would not surprise me if all cars were created in AT form. keeping an old MT could become very lucrative, as car enthusiasts will definitely enjoy the car-driver feedback. but it wont be like back in the muscle car days when MT ruled the roads. automatics are slightly more fuel efficient and provide the ease of driving that a manual might not (esp in urban traffic areas).
Old 07-22-10, 05:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had manuals from the first car I bought, I will never go back to one. I mean I have used the paddles on the "F" about 5 times total.
Old 07-22-10, 07:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mix and match, I like manuals and autos for variety.
Old 07-22-10, 08:06 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I like that attitude. Seven years and counting here. Then you marry someone who can't drive a stick and you have ditch your stick for an auto...that's what happened to my sister anyway.
gf knows how to drive stick and actually has been driving longer than i have.
woohoo!

Quick Reply: Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]