Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 12:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/21/c...mpaign-w-vide/
The minds at Car and Driver have anointed themselves the champions of the manual transmission. In order to defend the three-pedal way of life from the onslaught of apathetic automatics out there, the magazine has initiated a new awareness campaign under the "Save the Manuals" banner. The plan is more of an awareness movement than anything else, complete with PSA videos, stickers and buttons. Watch out slush boxes, this is a no-holds barred assault.

We've heard all of the arguments about why the age of the manual transmission is coming to a close – more efficient automatics, the rise of the double-clutch cog box, etc – but we still love rowing our own gears. Car and Driver has brought up an interesting point by saying that manuals can actually help cut down on distracted driving. How? It's bound to be quite a bit more difficult to text while driving something with a third pedal.

Whether that's true or not, we'll let you decide, but if you want to get in on the campaign to save the manual transmissions from the icy claw of extinction, you can hop over to Car and Driver to see what you can do. You may just get your very own sticker to announce your pride.

VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAe6...layer_embedded
Attached Thumbnails Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]-save-the-manuals-630.jpg  
Old 07-21-10, 01:15 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Survival of the fittest, I say.

They're fun, but I'm enjoying the move forward.
Old 07-21-10, 01:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no way I would own a sporty car without a manual.

I've owned a Boxster, 2 Vettes and presently Mini Cooper S and ALL have been manuals!
I like the direct link to the motor.
Old 07-21-10, 01:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

they're not going away. cars like miatas and minis and all cars made in europe are likely to always have the option. they're just too popular, even if less so in the u.s.
Old 07-21-10, 01:47 PM
LexFather

C&D, desperation tactics at work....

Old 07-21-10, 02:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they're not going away. cars like miatas and minis and all cars made in europe are likely to always have the option. they're just too popular, even if less so in the u.s.
I know its sad but they will eventually fade to nothing. The sports car manufacturers have already shown better performance with the paddle shifters and launch control. The rev matching feature of many of the new transmissions also enhances chassis stability on corner entrance. Yes you can heel and toe but 99% of people don't know how to do it properly( or their feet are way to large to do it)

I have always driven a manual and wanted one for my G35 sedan but they were not available for 2003 model. I have fond memories of manuals and even enjoyed driving my dads old beater 1988 accord 5 speed. Even with no power and massive mileage I feel like that old beater was more fun to drive then my 50 k fat *** luxury car.
Old 07-21-10, 04:14 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For every enthusiast who's never experienced a manual: until you try it, you have no idea what you're missing out on.
Old 07-21-10, 07:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will admit I miss popping the clutch and laying rubber. I also enjoyed the occasional quick u turn with a little pop of the clutch. With a manual you dont even need a lot of power to have fun. To bad its a dying breed.
Old 07-21-10, 07:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Integra is not dying any time soon... so it's probably going to be my last stick that I'll ever buy new. If I want any after it dies, it'll probably have to be a used one.

I don't see the manual surviving beyond nitch vehicles that honestly, at this point in my life, don't fit the family demographics.

We all constantly talk speed speed speed...but with advancements in auto technology, the autos are faster to 60 mph and more fuel efficient than the sticks, so where does this leave the manual... for old dudes that "love the stick" and just want to continue to own one?

RIP manual transmission... I loved ye when ye was good...
Old 07-21-10, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I tend to agree they will not all go away. But soon, in America, only some pure sports cars and maybe some cheaper pickup trucks will have them. Still, there are a number of them left even now. The new Subaru Legacy GT, for example, comes ONLY with a 6-speed manual....there is no automatic option at all.
Old 07-21-10, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The minds at Car and Driver have anointed themselves the champions of the manual transmission. In order to defend the three-pedal way of life from the onslaught of apathetic automatics out there, the magazine has initiated a new awareness campaign under the "Save the Manuals" banner.
Well, Mike (1SICK), I'll ask CL's most well-known C&D-hater: Does this give the magazine any credibility in your view?
Old 07-21-10, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new Subaru Legacy GT, for example, comes ONLY with a 6-speed manual....there is no automatic option at all.
Which is probably why it doesn't sell much.
Old 07-21-10, 11:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
C&D, desperation tactics at work....
I hate C and D as much as you do, but this is for a good cause.

1Sick, please do your part.
Old 07-21-10, 11:43 PM
oguitar
Driver School Candidate

I am not a fan of automatic transmissions. All you do is push the gas and brake pedals. Manual transmissions are much funner to drive. Europe loves manual transmissions as well. You just can't get that feeling of being in control of your vehicle with an auto. In the Subaru world automatics are highly frowned upon.

I know Lexus is a luxury brand so I can understand how the majority on this site would frown upon manual transmissions. Personally I vow to always drive a manual transmission.
Old 07-22-10, 05:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oguitar
Personally I vow to always drive a manual transmission.
I like that attitude. Seven years and counting here. Then you marry someone who can't drive a stick and you have ditch your stick for an auto...that's what happened to my sister anyway.

I am lucky that Subaru is my brand. As MMarshall pointed out, the Legacy GT, as well as the Impreza WRX and STi models are only available in a stick. Perhaps Subaru only wishes to cater to the true enthusiast or perhaps their 5 speed auto isn't prepared for heavy duty work. Either way, it is a big risk for them and I do see alot of these vehicles around, their sales numbers are high for the company so they must be doing something right.

I often lament around here about Lexus not having any MTs. I don't want an IS 250. But I would be interested in buying a pre-owned GS if it were availablie in a stick. Sadly, I don't think that this will ever materialize.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver launches Save the Manuals campaign [w/video]