Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Incoming twins, need a vehicle for 6 comfortably

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 10:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with the 3rd row up (which are pretty respectable seat space btw), there are still some space in the back for luggage. that's why i think it's pretty good, considering that both the highlander and 4runner, i don't think they have as much space (negligible by comparison)

also on the pilot, if you put 2 car seats in the middle row (on both ends), you can still sit a person in the middle. that shows how wide the space is
Might be tight with the infant car seats, but I agree. The 4Runner's 3rd row does not fold flat into the floor, which is not as convenient. The Highlander and Pilot should ride a lot better than the 4Runner (assuming you don't plan to go off road).
Old 07-23-10, 11:05 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volvo xc90 w/ TV's om headrest that's our next suv
Old 07-23-10, 11:10 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 737 Likes on 508 Posts

Does your friend have the stroller yet? If the mother of the children isn't too far along yet, try to get her to lift the stroller into a SUV to see if she's comfortable with it. If not, she might have to resign to the idea of a minivan
Old 07-23-10, 11:12 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Does your friend have the stroller yet? If the mother of the children isn't too far along yet, try to get her to lift the stroller into a SUV to see if she's comfortable with it. If not, she might have to resign to the idea of a minivan
that is a great idea. However, I think the loading height on a minivan is much lower than a crossover like the pilot.

I also second the ford flex, looks like a great family hauler. Or im sure they can get a great deal on an Merc R class
Old 07-23-10, 11:14 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Sienna all the way... ease of the doors w/ two toddlers will make life MUCH better!!!

We just passed 73K miles on our 2005 and have 6 WI winters behind us, plus pulled a 18-ft Crownline with it and most of my basement when I finished it... still rides and looks like new (knock on wood )
Old 07-23-10, 11:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Sienna all the way... ease of the doors w/ two toddlers will make life MUCH better!!!

We just passed 73K miles on our 2005 and have 6 WI winters behind us, plus pulled a 18-ft Crownline with it and most of my basement when I finished it... still rides and looks like new (knock on wood )
I totally forgot about the power sliding doors--nice touch when hands are full.
Old 07-23-10, 11:31 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Land Cruiser.
Old 07-23-10, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Might be tight with the infant car seats, but I agree. The 4Runner's 3rd row does not fold flat into the floor, which is not as convenient. The Highlander and Pilot should ride a lot better than the 4Runner (assuming you don't plan to go off road).
yes, i am talking about normal car seat, now the infant seat. with infant seat it takes up more space.

so in terms of 3rd row you actually prefer highlander over 4runner?

Originally Posted by Allen K
good idea, too bad my wife is too far along the way to try lift that now. but then she's so against minivan, she says it's suv no matter what
Old 07-23-10, 11:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

yes, i am talking about normal car seat, now the infant seat. with infant seat it takes up more space.

so in terms of 3rd row you actually prefer highlander over 4runner?

good idea, too bad my wife is too far along the way to try lift that now. but then she's so against minivan, she says it's suv no matter what
I like the fact that the Highlander seat folds flat. I have a Pilot, and most of the time, I am not using the 3rd row. So I have a flat and highly usable cargo space, much like the Highlander. To get a flat floor in the 4Runner, you need to remove the rear seat, or have them flip up to the side, taking away cargo room (at least that's the way it was in the prior Gen 4Runner). That said, 95% of my 3rd row passengers are under the age of 8, so a roomy 3rd row is not something I've had to worry about.

I do not like the fact that the Highlander 3rd seat doesn't split. And I don't need the off road capability, and additional weight of the better 4WD system, that the 4Runner offers.

At this point, I think the Mazda CX9 would be my top choice, with a pretty useable 3rd row--but my kids are now in booster seats, so I can flip the middle row seats to access the rear, and I don't need to worry about captain's seating.
Old 07-23-10, 11:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

acura mdx, highlander,or any big *** american suv should suffice. It will depend on budget........and wether or not you like American cars
Old 07-23-10, 11:40 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Really can't beat the Sienna for space, utility and ride I just helped a friend with a purchase who didn't want to go the minivan route but needed to have tons of space and room for 6. We looked at everything escalade's, land cruisers, Pilot and the list went on. When the dust settled he bought a Ford Flex Limited and loves it!

Congrat's to your friend on his 'twin blessing' Good luck in your search.
Old 07-23-10, 11:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 737 Likes on 508 Posts

She says SUV, but she means Miata Narrow it down to a brand yet?
Old 07-23-10, 12:59 PM
LexFather

I'm on the move so I'll chime in more later but what about the Ford Flex?

I'd rather get shot 5 times than ride in a Honda Pilot let alone have my kids ride in it. It's like a traveling future ricer trailer

Last edited by LexFather; 07-23-10 at 01:03 PM.

Old 07-23-10, 01:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You mentioned price of $30K, so you really can't go BIG SUV (Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia) so you're really looking at a minivan for that sort of hauling. You can do a "small" SUV like Highlander or Pilot, but then with the 3rd row up, you can't get any luggage behind it.

Someone mentioned CX7, I did not think the CX7 had a 3rd row, I thought only the CX9 had the 3rd row. As for the CX9, it has a small 3rd row, but like all in same class, not much space behind 3rd row.

I really can't recommend any particular minivan, but all have plenty of space behind the 3rd row for twins and two adults.
Old 07-23-10, 01:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

If your friend likes the Odyssey, better tell him to hurry up and get a 2010 before those god ugly 2011s roll out.

Quick Reply: Incoming twins, need a vehicle for 6 comfortably