Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Incoming twins, need a vehicle for 6 comfortably

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I like the fact that the Highlander seat folds flat. I have a Pilot, and most of the time, I am not using the 3rd row. So I have a flat and highly usable cargo space, much like the Highlander. To get a flat floor in the 4Runner, you need to remove the rear seat, or have them flip up to the side, taking away cargo room (at least that's the way it was in the prior Gen 4Runner). That said, 95% of my 3rd row passengers are under the age of 8, so a roomy 3rd row is not something I've had to worry about.

I do not like the fact that the Highlander 3rd seat doesn't split. And I don't need the off road capability, and additional weight of the better 4WD system, that the 4Runner offers.

At this point, I think the Mazda CX9 would be my top choice, with a pretty useable 3rd row--but my kids are now in booster seats, so I can flip the middle row seats to access the rear, and I don't need to worry about captain's seating.
thanks for the great insight, these are definitely some useful good points for consideration!

Originally Posted by Allen K
She says SUV, but she means Miata Narrow it down to a brand yet?
lol, or nsx / 911 nop, didn't really narrow down anything yet at this point. we are thinking about keeping the gs350 for this coming year and get suv next year when the m3 lease is up
Old 07-23-10, 03:05 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks for the great insight, these are definitely some useful good points for consideration!

lol, or nsx / 911 nop, didn't really narrow down anything yet at this point. we are thinking about keeping the gs350 for this coming year and get suv next year when the m3 lease is up
Hey Henry, you know what you should get. I'll be happy to help you find one when you're ready.
Old 07-23-10, 03:07 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Also, another vote for the Pilot. MDX isn't bad either. Sure they aren't pretty, but they're good utility vehicles.
Old 07-23-10, 03:09 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the minivan route is the way to go, unless you go full size SUV. My mom just recently got the 2010 Odyssey, she was planning on getting the new Sienna but the Honda dealer beat the Toyota dealer in incentives and in the trade in value of her car...a 97 Town and Country for $800 vs $2,000
Old 07-23-10, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Hey Henry, you know what you should get. I'll be happy to help you find one when you're ready.
when kids are older and m3 gone, umm....
Old 07-23-10, 04:21 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am the father of six, with one set of twins. (My youngest child turns 22 next month.) We had a number of vehicles:

- Used 76 VW van in the early-mid 80s. We had 1-5 kids during this time. It worked OK for our needs, but had no power.

- 86 Chrysler-Mitsu 6 passenger wagon. About the size of a Mazda5. Too small and too slow. We had 5 kids during this time.

- 88 8 passenger Ford Club Wagon. Awesome amount of room for passengers and equipment. Our sixth child arrived at this time.

- 90 regular wheelbase Dodge caravan. My spouse (later ex) began spending lots of time away from home. We really didn't need to worry about having room for more than 7 passengers. Worked well for 7, but needed the extended wheelbase to carry much cargo along with passengers.

- 93 8 passenger Chevy Surburban. Worked well for 7, so long as there were two small kids in the rear seat. Good amount of storage behind the 3rd row.

- 90-something used Ford Aerostar. My three youngest lived with my new wife and I at this time. It worked fairly well.

Basically, a nice Honda or Toyota minivan would be the most logical solution. Other options:

- Mid-size van like the Sprinter

- MB R-class. One of my buddies has one of these and loves it. He carries his elderly parents and two grandkids with no problems. However, I think his grandkids are big enough to put themselves in the 3rd row seats.

- Fullsize Ford, Chevy, or GMC passenger van. Chevy and/or GMC had an upscale version a few years ago.

- Fullsize conversion van. Some of these are very nice and can hold 6-7 passengers when set up right.
Old 07-23-10, 04:22 PM
LexFather

Ford Flex....Used MDX current gen is a good move to

Old 07-23-10, 04:43 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If he's interested in the Flex, make sure there is enough room behind the 3rd row for their needs when traveling with more than 4-5. The space is deep, but fairly narrow (front-to-back). Also be sure access to the 3rd row is OK.
Old 07-26-10, 06:05 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

My buddy went and test drove the 2010 Honda Odessey and he preferred it over the Sienna. He quickly got over his "last year of the model" once he found out he can get 6000 or so (or was it 5000) off MSRP. He's picking it up tonight. The car also comes with full leather and Navi, when his packaged Sienna did not. Unfortunately with the Sport package, it comes with leather/cloth seats. It was not something the wife was found with due to the idea of wiping baby food/spills off cloth is not a good idea.

He's a big Honda guy so I was surprised he didn't like them from the beginning. We also prefer the Acura Navi by far. As you may know, I'm not a fan of Toyota's Navi.

Edit: Thanks everyone for their informative replies, we learned a lot.