Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

after 7 years of owning my accord, i realize the dealer was not totally honest...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 10:03 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 7 years of owning my accord, i realize the dealer was not totally honest...

Recently i am in search of a new lexus rx450h. just for ****s i took my 2003 accord into a local dealer and ask them how much they would offer me to trade it in towards the purchase of a new car from them. i know there is no way i am trading it in because they will rip me off and is best to sell privately. so the appraiser takes this scanner and scans every single metal panel on the body. he told me that its a paint scanner. his concluded that the coat of paint on the hood was thicker than the other panels and asked if i have damaged and repainted it. i know that i have not. he said that the dealer that sold it to me must've repainted it to cover up some minor damages before selling to me. why would the paint be thicker on the hood? also, if the dealer did repaint it, wouldn't he have to tell me? i dont know how to react.
Old 07-23-10, 10:18 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does one damage only the hood of their car? Sounds fishy to me.

It may have been repainted, sure, but damaged? Unlikely, unless the front bumper was damaged as well.
Old 07-23-10, 10:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

after 7 years? I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

how many miles BTW?
any issues with the car?

just curious
Old 07-23-10, 10:47 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
Are you serious? there are numerous ways to damage a hood, and it could have just been a simple repaint due to deep scratches or paint correction from dings.
Old 07-23-10, 10:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

What was the difference between the side and the hood?
Old 07-23-10, 10:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra

It may have been repainted, sure, but damaged? Unlikely, unless the front bumper was damaged as well.
Easy--it's in the dealer's bay for prep and something falls on the hood. Unfortunately, I've done that in my garage getting something down from the shelf, and being too lazy to back the car out.
Old 07-23-10, 11:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
after 7 years? I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

how many miles BTW?
any issues with the car?

just curious
That was my thought--how much are they really going to nail you for on a 7 year old car??
Old 07-23-10, 11:03 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

out of curiosity as well, I have conflicting thoughts on buying a car with trade in. Do you go in telling them you are trading a car in, or is it better to figure out the price of the new car and then work in the trade in after?
Old 07-23-10, 11:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
What was the difference between the side and the hood?
Exactly, how do you know the guy with the scanner is the one trying to rip you off via the estimate by pointing out some miniscule difference to devalue the price on the trade in?
Old 07-23-10, 11:13 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by RXSF
out of curiosity as well, I have conflicting thoughts on buying a car with trade in. Do you go in telling them you are trading a car in, or is it better to figure out the price of the new car and then work in the trade in after?
Do it both ways. Be honest with them and tell them you are going to sell it privately, unless they can offer you what you think is a fair price for the car. Not what they think is a fair price, but what you think is a fair price. Understand that they need to make money on the car if they buy it, too, so you're not going to get KBB for it.

My entire family and many of my friends take me with them or let me negotiate for them straight up because I like to do the research and walk in fully loaded with the information that is available. I know the interest rates, credit ratings, what type of special financing is available, what to expect for payments, invoice, warranty extensions, pretty much everything. I politely let the salesperson know that there will be no shenanigans or there will be no deal. Keep me waiting? I walk. Come to me with a payment or term longer than I told you was acceptable? We are done. Do not call me incessantly. I make purchases on my time, not yours. I am not readily available at all times, nor am I at your beck and call. If you want my business, you will earn it or someone else will. It's very simple. I have had many pleasant experiences buying vehicles, and rarely have I needed to walk out.

The worst technique I've seen is disparaging another brand versus touting what yours does better. Don't tell me that they use a 10 year old engine design - tell me that AND that the design you use is less than 3 years old and has 10000K hours of testing with all the vehicles using it. It's not about what I'm not buying, it's about what I AM buying!

/end rant

Oh, and as for the paint on the hood, it's not dishonest if it was simply a respray for something cosmetic (like a scratch, which is not uncommon). If there was collision damage, then you bought what most would consider a used vehicle.

Big Mack
Old 07-23-10, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Always get a cash price first!Then hit them with the trade and work that number up and and/or get some free or discounted accesories you want...
I love the action.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-23-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 11:19 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

man I can just tell im going to get screwed when I go into a dealership. I have no backbone on me and the salesman is probably going to walk all over me. I paid MSRP on my 04 RX. lol But I am determined this time to get a good price. Already done as much research as possible on the new RX
Old 07-23-10, 11:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Always get a cash price first!Then hit them with the trade and work that number up and and/or get some free or discounted accesories you want...
I love the action.
DING!! DING!! DING!!! The Game

And besides.... OP"s getting a LEXUS!!!!
Old 07-23-10, 11:38 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Exactly, how do you know the guy with the scanner is the one trying to rip you off via the estimate by pointing out some miniscule difference to devalue the price on the trade in?
+1

New cars are sometimes damaged in transport, and a contracted body shop here in the U.S. will repair the damage. It's still considered new and accident free.
Old 07-23-10, 11:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Unless there is a HUGE difference between the thickness, they are making a big deal out of it.

Quick Reply: after 7 years of owning my accord, i realize the dealer was not totally honest...