Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus in danger of losing US luxury crown to Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 06:42 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
What issues would that be?
Well, I should put it as what issues would that be that Benz does not have ?
unintended acceleration.
Old 07-25-10, 11:48 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

and floor mats(IS, ES) and "roll over risk" (GX) and fuel tank leaking (HS), and steering wheel alignment (LS) and engine valves (IS, GS, LS)
Old 07-25-10, 01:03 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
unintended acceleration.
this issue or rumor (maybe?) as already been put to rest.
Old 07-25-10, 01:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus show room looks the same as it did in the fall of 2005. It is time for some fresh & exciting products.. Mercedes & BMW are developing fresh new products, right before our internet eyes, that will be heading to a showroom &/or home near you.
Old 07-25-10, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Lexus show room looks the same as it did in the fall of 2005. It is time for some fresh & exciting products.. Mercedes & BMW are developing fresh new products, right before our internet eyes, that will be heading to a showroom &/or home near you.

lmfao

Yes the RX 350 and 450h existed as the HS.
So did the GS 350, 460, 450h and LS 600hL.
Also the ES 350 existed.
The IS F existed as well as the GS 460 and LX 570.
The IS C and now IS 350 AWD also existed.
So did the LS sport and LS AWD.

Yup all those models existed in fall 2005...

lol, what a post. All the brands go through their generation cycles. You are acting like Benz, BMW never have old models and OMG EVERYONE LOOK they are the only ones developing NEW vehicles and Lexus sells a bunch of nothing. All the brands have old models for crying out loud.

Hilarious

Last edited by LexFather; 07-25-10 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-25-10, 02:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lmfao

Yes the RX 350 and 450h existed as the HS.
So did the GS 350, 460, 450h and LS 600hL.
Also the ES 350 existed.
The IS F existed as well as the GS 460 and LX 570.
The IS C and now IS 350 AWD also existed.
So did the LS sport and LS AWD.

Yup all those models existed in fall 2005...

lol, what a post. All the brands go through their generation cycles. You are acting like Benz, BMW never have old models and OMG EVERYONE LOOK they are the only ones developing NEW vehicles and Lexus sells a bunch of nothing. All the brands have old models for crying out loud.

Hilarious
Why do you even waste your time man.
Old 07-25-10, 04:27 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I think another reason for the changing sales positions of automakers, particularly manufacturers of luxury cars, are simple consumer tastes. Perhaps Americans are a bit tired of Lexus or want to try something new? A decade ago nobody could have foreseen how Audi's popularity would rise in Europe, globally and in the US. With changing times, many other aspects change, including automotive tastes. The recent bad press regarding Toyota/Lexus probably also had a hand in this.

It doesn't help that Lexus doesn't have an E class coupe competitor. That niche is very lucrative and profitable. We know that Mercedes can make a comfortable cruiser coupe/convertible, which is exactly what the E class coupe/convertible are all about. And we also know that Lexus can do the same. So where is the potential GS coupe/convertible? Lexus has always been a bit slow, in my opinion, when it comes to introducing lifestyle cars. The IS-C is a step in the right direction, if you can live with the design.

They're also missing out on the Z4, SLK niche, which, again, is very profitable and also opens up the brand to younger buyers.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me who is at the top or bottom in terms of sales.
Old 07-25-10, 04:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
It doesn't help that Lexus doesn't have an E class coupe competitor. That niche is very lucrative and profitable. We know that Mercedes can make a comfortable cruiser coupe/convertible, which is exactly what the E class coupe/convertible are all about. And we also know that Lexus can do the same. So where is the potential GS coupe/convertible? Lexus has always been a bit slow, in my opinion, when it comes to introducing lifestyle cars. The IS-C is a step in the right direction, if you can live with the design.

They're also missing out on the Z4, SLK niche, which, again, is very profitable and also opens up the brand to younger buyers.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me who is at the top or bottom in terms of sales.
Good points Dustin, I too hope Lexus expands their line up and offers move variety of models. But at the same time I hope they don't rush models, and make QUALITY their top priority. I'm not very impressed with the build quality of some new Lexus models. Perhaps its a sign that they have been growing too fast. I'd rather they take their time and bring out better quality models.
Old 07-25-10, 04:34 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
and floor mats(IS, ES) and "roll over risk" (GX) and fuel tank leaking (HS), and steering wheel alignment (LS) and engine valves (IS, GS, LS)
I see, so Benz don't have any leaking parts, faulty parts or anything else that will require you to get them fixed?

Glad to see Benz is trouble free...

Last edited by Dave600hL; 07-25-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 04:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Autoblog has picked up the story...cue the usual "nice Camry, euros hate it, Americans woke up" BS...similar to last year...it may happen, but being #1 means more than PR, they need to focus on customer satisfaction first. So many proposed new models
could help with sales though.
Old 07-25-10, 04:44 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Good points Dustin, I too hope Lexus expands their line up and offers move variety of models. But at the same time I hope they don't rush models, and make QUALITY their top priority. I'm not very impressed with the build quality of some new Lexus models. Perhaps its a sign that they have been growing too fast. I'd rather they take their time and bring out better quality models.
My experience with Lexus is limited to my sisters IS250. It's a great little car, though. Just incredibly cramped I'm afraid to say.

Here in Europe, I hardly see any Lexus products on the road. It doesn't help that I am in Mercedes/Porsche territory, where people tend to be pro-Mercedes/Porsche. I've visited a few Lexus dealerships though and I must say I find nothing really wrong with the visual build quality of their products. There might be a few attention to detail factors which might not be to my liking, but other than that, their products make a superb impression on me.

I think Lexus will eventually enter the A5/E class coupe niche and perhaps the Z4/SLK/TT niche as well. Given their way of moving forward, it wouldn't surprise me if they studied these particular markets with care to ensure that their offering will be successful in the long-term. Come to think of it, I believe Lexus will need to actually handle such a move very carefully since their competitors have been offering their products in these niche markets for decades and know exactly what their customers want. It's difficult to say what a Lexus customer may want in such a car. Do they want an extremely sporty car like the 3er coupe/A5 or perhaps and even softer cruiser version than the E class coupe? It's difficult to answer such a question. I don't think we should we should be worried, though. Lexus has the resources to conduct careful and revealing market research, which will tell them all they need to know.
Old 07-25-10, 04:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

My experience with Lexus is limited to my sisters IS250. It's a great little car, though. Just incredibly cramped I'm afraid to say.
The regular IS is pretty good, but the IS-C is clearly a rushed out job to me. Materials and craftsmanship in the rear of the car are poor, some exterior gaps are unacceptable, and when the roof is down, the plastic covers in the rear are a plusterfluck. I wasn't terrible impressed with this car at all.

Here in Europe, I hardly see any Lexus products on the road. It doesn't help that I am in Mercedes/Porsche territory, where people tend to be pro-Mercedes/Porsche. I've visited a few Lexus dealerships though and I must say I find nothing really wrong with the visual build quality of their products. There might be a few attention to detail factors which might not be to my liking, but other than that, their products make a superb impression on me.

I think Lexus will eventually enter the A5/E class coupe niche and perhaps the Z4/SLK/TT niche as well. Given their way of moving forward, it wouldn't surprise me if they studied these particular markets with care to ensure that their offering will be successful in the long-term. Come to think of it, I believe Lexus will need to actually handle such a move very carefully since their competitors have been offering their products in these niche markets for decades and know exactly what their customers want. It's difficult to say what a Lexus customer may want in such a car. Do they want an extremely sporty car like the 3er coupe/A5 or perhaps and even softer cruiser version than the E class coupe? It's difficult to answer such a question. I don't think we should we should be worried, though. Lexus has the resources to conduct careful and revealing market research, which will tell them all they need to know.
I don't know about Europe, but here in the US they desperately need a Coupe. Any Coupe. I'm one of the most dieheart Lexus fans and BMW haters, and still I had to go with a BMW because Lexus does not offer a single coupe.
Old 07-25-10, 07:03 PM
LexFather

The bottom line is Lexus hasn't gotten the increase in sales due to all the bad news real or not. Perception is reality and right now Lexus is getting pummeled.

I think another reason for the changing sales positions of automakers, particularly manufacturers of luxury cars, are simple consumer tastes. Perhaps Americans are a bit tired of Lexus or want to try something new? A decade ago nobody could have foreseen how Audi's popularity would rise in Europe, globally and in the US. With changing times, many other aspects change, including automotive tastes. The recent bad press regarding Toyota/Lexus probably also had a hand in this.

No its not b/c even with Audi increasing in sales Lexus has been #1. Also looking at figures its not like Lexus has fallen off a cliff and Benz is way ahead they are very close.

Coupes don't sell. I post the results every month, all those Benz coupes add very little to the sales tally. (I have no idea bout the E-class since they no longer seperate it). Most of their sales are C/E class then ML. Lexus is ES/RX and then IS. So as much as I would love to see more LExus coupes, coupes don't add much volume.

Old 07-25-10, 11:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are acting like Benz, BMW never have old models and OMG EVERYONE LOOK they are the only ones developing NEW vehicles and Lexus sells a bunch of nothing. All the brands have old models for crying out loud.

Hilarious
BMW was too busy being the Honda for the bourgeois, while Benz was having some nasty Chrysler traits working their way across the pond.
Old 07-25-10, 11:26 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I see, so Benz don't have any leaking parts, faulty parts or anything else that will require you to get them fixed?

Glad to see Benz is trouble free...
I guess some people can take solace in knowing a Hertz-special 300 or Charger shares parts and trannies(for Hemi-equipped ones) with their $50,000 E-Class.

Quick Reply: Lexus in danger of losing US luxury crown to Mercedes