Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus in danger of losing US luxury crown to Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 11:40 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I guess some people can take solace in knowing a Hertz-special 300 or Charger shares parts and trannies(for Hemi-equipped ones) with their $50,000 E-Class.
umm actually, new the E-Class which has the W212 chassis never shared any connections to any Chrysler product. Merc gave Chrysler old platforms that were outdated from the 90s i.e. the 300 and Charger uses some parts from the W212 E-Class (1995-2002).
Old 07-26-10, 12:01 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't Mercedes join forces with Nissan and Renault here recently?

Wouldn't you think that would degrade their image like the Chrysler fiasco?

I could be wrong because Renault and Nissan or both strong and competitive manufacturers.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 07-26-10 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:08 AM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Didn't Mercedes join forces with Nissan and Renault here recently?

Wouldn't you think that would degrade their image like the Chrysler fiasco?

I could be wrong because Renault and Nissan or both strong and competitive manufacturers.
true, Mercedes will be lending engines to Nissan/Infiniti....so future Nissan/Infiniti products will probably have Mercedes 4 cylinders and diesels....while each company equally share electronics.
Old 07-26-10, 12:38 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

dave: to my knowledge, Merc hasnt had a recall in more than a few years and all their products made after 2007 have been rock solid.
Old 07-26-10, 01:06 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All car manufacturers have recalls, and they are rising as regulations become tighter. But the publicity and the nature of recalls differ, for instance a quick google news search finds such recalls, using MB as an example:

01-2008 9,000 E, GL, ML and R sensor could cause power failure (2007 MY)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany

03-2008 SLR McLaren for faulty windshield installation which may detach in crash (2007 MY)
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...r-mclaren.html

06-2008 52,700 GL, ML tow trailer hitch could separate from body frame (2006, 2007, 2008 MY)
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/06/nhtsa-1303.html

03-2009 16,000 ML for faulty light seals could cause fire (2009 MY)
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/03/nhtsa-4646.html

Rest assured, had Daimler been caught up in an unintended acceleration Audi/Toyota fiasco, the media would breathlessly report each minor recall. Now are all these recalls and issues truly worse for Toyota or Lexus? Everyone can make their own judgment. Thus far, I think the main serious quality issue has to do with the valve springs, that was a clear factory error. As for floor mats, it's largely due to operator error, mat stacking and design, etc. The GX stability control/HS fuel tank are organizational tests of possible risks, which has to do with the organization's standards being different (better safe though). And it's more of an operator comfort issue with the steering and brake software. Clearly more testing is needed to prevent more recalls due to outside tests (Mercedes learned this with the A-Class "moose test" by a magazine), and more driver education/response to deal with the 'sudden acceleration' cases.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Coupes don't sell. I post the results every month, all those Benz coupes add very little to the sales tally. (I have no idea bout the E-class since they no longer seperate it). Most of their sales are C/E class then ML. Lexus is ES/RX and then IS. So as much as I would love to see more LExus coupes, coupes don't add much volume.
Agreed that coupes are a hard business case, and the data doesn't lie. However, possible exceptions include the G37 coupe...plus coupes could be (as in Lexus' internal documents) 'image leader vehicles'. I do think that they are a bit more conservative than the competition in bringing out new models, preferring to study and build a compelling case most times, so perhaps a more staggered rollout schedule would help keep things fresh.

Coupes aside, an ES hybrid could pad the ES order book, while perhaps untapped potential lies in returning the GS to the solid 3rd position in mid-market sales.

Last edited by encore888; 07-26-10 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 01:41 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by encore888
All car manufacturers have recalls, and they are rising as regulations become tighter. But the publicity and the nature of recalls differ, for instance a quick google news search finds such recalls, using MB as an example:

01-2008 9,000 E, GL, ML and R sensor could cause power failure (2007 MY)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany

03-2008 SLR McLaren for faulty windshield installation which may detach in crash (2007 MY)
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...r-mclaren.html

06-2008 52,700 GL, ML tow trailer hitch could separate from body frame (2006, 2007, 2008 MY)
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/06/nhtsa-1303.html

03-2009 16,000 ML for faulty light seals could cause fire (2009 MY)
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/03/nhtsa-4646.html

Rest assured, had Daimler been caught up in an unintended acceleration Audi/Toyota fiasco, the media would breathlessly report each minor recall. Now are all these recalls and issues truly worse for Toyota or Lexus? Everyone can make their own judgment. Thus far, I think the main serious quality issue has to do with the valve springs, that was a clear factory error. As for floor mats, it's largely due to operator error, mat stacking and design, etc. The GX stability control/HS fuel tank are organizational tests of possible risks, which has to do with the organization's standards being different (better safe though). And it's more of an operator comfort issue with the steering and brake software. Clearly more testing is needed to prevent more recalls due to outside tests (Mercedes learned this with the A-Class "moose test" by a magazine), and more driver education/response to deal with the 'sudden acceleration' cases.

To be fair Mercedes never try to hide their problems, they issue recalls as soon as they found a problem. Toyota knew about their problems but tries to hide it and bury it, feds investigated it and found out. Nobody likes to be lie upon so they dig deeper and found even more dirt and the media jumped on and pounded them some more.

Had Toyota been honest about their issues and fix it the media wouldn't become so hostile towards them and the feds surely wouldn't have to dig up all those dirt.
Old 07-26-10, 07:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly who cares!! I care about who makes the best product for my taste. 1SICKLEX it really doesn't matter if a coupe sale or doesn't. Lexus needs a coupe badly. It's about apperarance. When I think coupe or style Lexus name never comes up. But to me like I stated early I really don't care who sale the most cars.

But let me say this my ex is driving a honda accord at the moment just last week she told me her next car will be a E coupe.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-26-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:45 AM
jason60050
Driver

MB is crap I have owned several. Horrible resale value and reliability is know where near the imports.
Old 07-26-10, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
To be fair Mercedes never try to hide their problems, they issue recalls as soon as they found a problem. Toyota knew about their problems but tries to hide it and bury it, feds investigated it and found out. Nobody likes to be lie upon so they dig deeper and found even more dirt and the media jumped on and pounded them some more.

Had Toyota been honest about their issues and fix it the media wouldn't become so hostile towards them and the feds surely wouldn't have to dig up all those dirt.
lol you just love to read into media without thinking deeper about what's going on. i didn't recall feds "looking into" mb and bmw. i won't go deeper into why, people can draw their own conclusions
Old 07-26-10, 12:56 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jason60050
MB is crap I have owned several. Horrible resale value and reliability is know where near the imports.
MB is not an import?
Old 07-26-10, 01:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy the crown when I buy luxury cars personally.
Old 07-26-10, 01:20 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I was already wondering what you were doing with a 335i...

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about Europe, but here in the US they desperately need a Coupe. Any Coupe. I'm one of the most dieheart Lexus fans and BMW haters, and still I had to go with a BMW because Lexus does not offer a single coupe.

This might be a reason why former Lexus owners are taking a trip down to their local Mercedes-Benz dealership: E class coupe / convertible.
Old 07-26-10, 01:25 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Coupes don't sell. I post the results every month, all those Benz coupes add very little to the sales tally. (I have no idea bout the E-class since they no longer seperate it). Most of their sales are C/E class then ML. Lexus is ES/RX and then IS. So as much as I would love to see more LExus coupes, coupes don't add much volume.
Luxury coupes might not be a smash hit back home, but here in Europe they're very successful. The A5, 3er and E coupes/convertibles are categorized as lifestyle products, which means they represent style, fun, sport and a number of other positive attributes that their target market is looking for (or expect).

Stylish or sporty coupes can add allure, style (lifestyle), fun and other well-regarded attributes to a brand. It is my sincere belief that Lexus is missing out, particularly in the US. They could use a competitor to the E class coupe/convertible if you ask me. The long-term benefits can only make Lexus a more appealing brand to people who may have never even given Lexus a second glance because of their lack of halo/"fun" cars.
Old 07-26-10, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Lol at people happy Lexus losing the sales crown and making jabs at people

Originally Posted by DustinV
I was already wondering what you were doing with a 335i...

This might be a reason why former Lexus owners are taking a trip down to their local Mercedes-Benz dealership: E class coupe / convertible.
\

And former Benz dealers buy Lexus vehicles.

Originally Posted by DustinV
Luxury coupes might not be a smash hit back home, but here in Europe they're very successful. The A5, 3er and E coupes/convertibles are categorized as lifestyle products, which means they represent style, fun, sport and a number of other positive attributes that their target market is looking for (or expect).

Stylish or sporty coupes can add allure, style (lifestyle), fun and other well-regarded attributes to a brand. It is my sincere belief that Lexus is missing out, particularly in the US. They could use a competitor to the E class coupe/convertible if you ask me. The long-term benefits can only make Lexus a more appealing brand to people who may have never even given Lexus a second glance because of their lack of halo/"fun" cars.
Originally Posted by rogers2
Honestly who cares!! I care about who makes the best product for my taste. 1SICKLEX it really doesn't matter if a coupe sale or doesn't. Lexus needs a coupe badly. It's about apperarance. When I think coupe or style Lexus name never comes up. But to me like I stated early I really don't care who sale the most cars.

But let me say this my ex is driving a honda accord at the moment just last week she told me her next car will be a E coupe.
I do not disagree with either of you that Lexus needs a coupe(s). I've started threads on the matter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ghlight=coupes

I've derided Lexus for not having coupes. So trust me I am with you. That said the business case (accountants/beancounters) case is strong as they don't add much to the bottom line. I hope Mr. Toyoda demands them in the future.

Old 07-26-10, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Wow, interesting part of the article left out....

The German brands are also benefiting from a higher rate of leasing among U.S. customers than Lexus, Truecar.com’s Toprak said. More than 60 percent of Mercedes-Benz vehicles are leased, compared with less than 30 percent of Lexus vehicles, he said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-mercedes.html

Last edited by LexFather; 07-26-10 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus in danger of losing US luxury crown to Mercedes