Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Long-term loans go bye-bye ... but that's a good thing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No kidding (like really), that's why the interest rates for those with low credit scores are extremely high, rates that are double-digit.

Built into the extremely high rates are the costs associated with the high rate of default for that kind of borrower.
But the problem is, often those "risky borrowers" live up to their name, and stop making their payments, resultion in their cars being reposessed months later. And then these costs are passed onto the honest paying borrowers.

And even if you dont borrow at all, the costs are still passed onto you as a taxpayer in the form of recent bailouts
Old 07-27-10, 11:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
But the problem is, often those "risky borrowers" live up to their name, and stop making their payments, resultion in their cars being reposessed months later. And then these costs are passed onto the honest paying borrowers.

And even if you dont borrow at all, the costs are still passed onto you as a taxpayer in the form of recent bailouts
No doubt since some is passed on, but not all, but your point is valid of course.

As a "A paper" type, I know what rates are available to me and the margins are slim.
Old 07-27-10, 01:58 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm getting 0% interest I want the longest term I can get. If I'm paying interest I want the shortest term I can afford.
Old 07-27-10, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No kidding (like really), that's why the interest rates for those with low credit scores are extremely high, rates that are double-digit.

Built into those extremely high rates paid by subprime borrowers are the costs associated with the high rate of default for that kind of borrower.
I agree that that's the way the car-loan system is usually set up, but I sometimes question the wisdom of it. Socking those bad-credit people (and those with the least amount of cash in the bank) with the highest interest rates and the stiffest loan-terms only increases the likelihood that they will default even more. It's like taking a crippled person and giving him or her two heavy bags of rocks to carry up a mountain instead of one......it only increases the chances he or she will collapse halfway up from exhaustion.

Of course, it is true that no one is forced to sign for a car loan or accept its terms, but a lot of people with little available cash to spend don't have many other choices. And, of course, (not to get too far off-topic because this may be better-suited for the DEBATE section), it was too many car and home-loans nationwide, at too-stiff interest rates, that started the whole economic mess and collapse of lending institutions two years ago that we're mess we are sill in today.
Old 07-27-10, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
If I'm getting 0% interest I want the longest term I can get. If I'm paying interest I want the shortest term I can afford.
Well, of course......don't we all? (or, at least, those not paying cash). Sure, it's great to have free money for 5, 6, or 7 years with no interest. But you can, of course, forget that from any reputable bank....they hedge themselves against projected inflation. And, though we sometimes see short-term 0% loans from auto manufacturers like GMAC or Ford Credit, you are not likely to see 0% for longer-term loans unless the manufacturer is really desperate to sell a certain car model. I have seen 0% for 5-6 years, but it is rare. The Cash-for-Clunkers program last year, of course, greatly aided those financing their new cars with one-time Government block-payments of $3500-4500, but programs like that are also rare.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 08:32 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, of course......don't we all? (or, at least, those not paying cash). Sure, it's great to have free money for 5, 6, or 7 years with no interest. But you can, of course, forget that from any reputable bank....they hedge themselves against projected inflation. And, though we sometimes see short-term 0% loans from auto manufacturers like GMAC or Ford Credit, you are not likely to see 0% for longer-term loans unless the manufacturer is really desperate to sell a certain car model. I have seen 0% for 5-6 years, but it is rare. The Cash-for-Clunkers program last year, of course, greatly aided those financing their new cars with one-time Government block-payments of $3500-4500, but programs like that are also rare.
Currently I have 3 vehicles with 0%, the Tahoe (GMAC) is 48 months, the Colorado (GMAC) is 60, and my daughters Mazda 3 (Chase) is 60 months. I guess I'm a sucker for 0% financing

I'm so spoiled with it I complain that I'm paying 2.9% on my boat, but I only have 9 more payments on it.
Old 07-28-10, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Currently I have 3 vehicles with 0%, the Tahoe (GMAC) is 48 months, the Colorado (GMAC) is 60, and my daughters Mazda 3 (Chase) is 60 months. I guess I'm a sucker for 0% financing
That shows you basically what I said in my post.....that GM was desperate to sell those vehicles. that's why GMAC gave you 0% for 48-60 months. Now, of course, getting it on the Mazda3 (and from Chase) is not quite as easily explained.
Old 07-28-10, 12:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

0% rates are factory subsidized rates, just another incentive/discount.
Old 07-28-10, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

0% rates are factory subsidized rates, just another incentive/discount.
I haven't seen many long-term 0% factory-rates, though......most are for short-term (3 years or less). I think SCRUFFDOG got that good deal because GM wanted to move those vehicles quickly and had trouble doing so any other way.
Old 07-29-10, 09:52 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

All of you saying that "loans should never be longer than 60 months" are failing in basic economics.

I'd take a 20 year note on a car if it was offered. Why? Because cash is king. If you are choosing the longer term because it's all you can afford, you are probably buying too expensive of a car. However, the opportunity cost of a 24-36 month loan often is more than if you had invested that money. It's not very difficult to receive a 10% ROR even on a conservative investment.

Could I pay off all or a large portion of a car note if I wanted to? Sure, but I'd be losing money by doing so, not to mention having no short term cash - which, if you were paying attention, is the exact reason you are getting 0% offers on cars in the first place. And sometimes, that manufacturer is making more off of you with that 0% 24 month note than if you had chosen traditional financing.