Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I agree completely.

These "attack advertisements" are just plain silly and banned in certain markets, such as Germany for example, because it goes against the fair competition law in that country. The legal way to do this advertisement in Germany would be for Nissan to claim that their 370Z performs better than many "competitors" and for much less money. This means that it is up to the buyers to decide which cars compete with the 370Z based on their own needs (for example: whoever is interested in a Nissan 370Z will doubtless look at other performance cars in its class).

I believe the agency that did this also provided the manufacturer claims for all performance data in the advertisements. Manufacturer claims tend to be underrated for legal reasons (nobody wants a lawsuit).

Lastly, since when does the Nissan 370Z compete with premium sports cars like the Audi TT or Porsche Cayman? From a status point of view, the 370Z trails both German cars simply because it's a "Nissan". Furthermore, there have always been cheaper mainstream cars that outperformed more expensive premium cars for as long as cars existed. Do the words BIG DEAL mean anything?

I've never found the 350Z/370Z attractive at all. Its performance credentials and qualities are unquestioned, but to me the design is also important and the 370Z is just aesthetically terrible to look at, in my opinion of course. From this bunch, I'd go with the Audi TT. Sleek design, a good mix between sport and comfort and probably a bit more spacious than the Cayman.
Ahhhh, the Euro double standard. They can attack other brands but no one else. Got it. Forgot these already? Just a handful of them

Old 07-26-10, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LMAO, this is epic!!! I love it. Not everyone might realize it right now, but this is a declaration of war.

Look for 400hp+ Z, TT and Cayman in the nearmost future.
Not just for these companies, but the whole industry. All are now switching into high gear and making competitive, relevant(and not so ie "segment busters") vehicles. This spark on all automotive fronts is great for the consumer

Originally Posted by whoster
Top Gear has proven that the fastest thing through London is a man.
If anything they proved that anything but a car is faster
Old 07-26-10, 06:11 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ahhhh, the Euro double standard. They can attack other brands but no one else. Got it. Forgot these already? Just a handful of them

Touché and well played!
Old 07-26-10, 08:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe, I can remember my little brother was laughing hilariously during our first trip to America. He loled at how all those TV commercials mention competitors brands blatantly (like many of the car commercials there)

@DustinV

I guess we're the same as you guys then in Germany. Doing these attack commercials (without censoring name of competition or using substitute naming) will land you eight-twelve month jail term and 100,000 peso fine. :P
Old 07-26-10, 08:43 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can so see BMW jumping into this with a 370z with a decal saying...'Faster than Boxster and TT, but not quite an M3"
Old 07-27-10, 05:30 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Excuse me?

Attacking a competitor in advertising is legal in United States, where those advertisements you posted were released. It's not legal in other markets, such as Germany and apparently the Philippines, as Blackraven has mentioned.

Furthermore, I am not a fan of this type of marketing. To some people it might seem brilliant or funny, but to many others it comes across as plain silly, childish and immature - and perhaps they may very well not buy an Audi or Nissan etc. because of this as they perceive the company to act in this immature fashion.

I don't care who do this: Nissan, BMW, Audi and so forth - I don't like it because I don't find it effective in the long run.
Old 07-27-10, 05:31 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@DustinV

I guess we're the same as you guys then in Germany. Doing these attack commercials (without censoring name of competition or using substitute naming) will land you eight-twelve month jail term and 100,000 peso fine. :P
I don't make the rules. I just follow them. The market here is all about fair competition and it's illegal to name a direct competitor and make them look bad.

Are these fines also enforced in the Philippines?
Old 07-27-10, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Excuse me?

Attacking a competitor in advertising is legal in United States, where those advertisements you posted were released. It's not legal in other markets, such as Germany and apparently the Philippines, as Blackraven has mentioned.

Furthermore, I am not a fan of this type of marketing. To some people it might seem brilliant or funny, but to many others it comes across as plain silly, childish and immature - and perhaps they may very well not buy an Audi or Nissan etc. because of this as they perceive the company to act in this immature fashion.

I don't care who do this: Nissan, BMW, Audi and so forth - I don't like it because I don't find it effective in the long run.
Its bold and makes the point. Of course some wont' like it but I find it beyond hilarious when a Euro brand does it "oh thats funny and so cool" but if Nissan or a Japanese brand does it well its "immature and silly".

Europe is a super brand snob continent. Nissan wont' be considered by most based on badge anyway so they might as well take some jabs at the competition.

FYI the reviews in Europe are very positive for the Zed there and many feel its nearly on par with the Cayman S for thousdands less. The TT never was really well received anywhere.

Old 07-27-10, 10:30 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
When all of them are put together, 370Z looks so much better. Is it the black color effect?
The photos are overexposed. It washes out all the details in the white cars, while elucidating the details in the black car that would normally be lost due to too little contrast.

Also, the image is an obvious photoshop. Look at the 370z banner on the building in the background. Also how the Porsche has one of its wheels on up the curb.

Last edited by Infra; 07-27-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 11:42 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the campaign is effective once you consider who Nissan is targeting with these ads. I doubt someone who is in the market for an Audi or a Porsche is cross-shopping against Nissan. However, a young guy with a little bit of cash and a lot of bravado is going to love thinking that he can stand toe-to-toe against the luxury brands while spending less.

Nissan vs. Honda? Boring.
Nissan vs. German Luxury? How dare they! Let me read some more about this 370z...
Old 07-29-10, 03:18 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know where Nissan gets there performance numbers but a 370Z is not quicker than a Audi TTS or Porsche Cayman!! WTF are they smoking over there. I have Motortrend tests to prove it..

Audi TTS test : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

Cayman S test : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

And tell me again, how can a 370Z can be in the same sentence with a Audi TTS and a Cayman, very poor marketing ploy, it only means Nissan is getting desperate again, no new news..
Old 07-29-10, 12:39 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Are these fines also enforced in the Philippines?
Haha you bet ya. Even if our country is corrupt and ridden with crime, I can say that AFAIK, doing something like this on Philippine soil will not allow you to get away with such an act that easily

Take instance this one

In America, it's alright to do that.

However, in the Philippines, the moment Audi/PGA Cars mentions the word 'BMW' in any of their ads be it TV, print, non-print, etc., then your ad will not get approved.

You can be sued and under fair trade laws and local advertising regulations, any violator can be fined and prosecuted
Old 07-29-10, 01:25 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

On one hand, I think it's very effective marketing and something that will draw attention. On the other hand, the Z has such rich history and strong tradition that I feel that this campaign cheapens it a little bit. The Z can stand on its own, and doesn't need the whole fallible cheaper/faster argument to win people over.
Old 07-29-10, 06:10 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I don't know where Nissan gets there performance numbers but a 370Z is not quicker than a Audi TTS or Porsche Cayman!! WTF are they smoking over there. I have Motortrend tests to prove it..

Audi TTS test : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

Cayman S test : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

And tell me again, how can a 370Z can be in the same sentence with a Audi TTS and a Cayman, very poor marketing ploy, it only means Nissan is getting desperate again, no new news..
The real question is what are YOU smoking? Using the same source, the Z is faster than the TTS or Cayman S:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
Old 07-30-10, 03:24 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
The real question is what are YOU smoking? Using the same source, the Z is faster than the TTS or Cayman S:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
I don't smoke at all but maybe you do as you don't pay attention well. The AD posted by Nissan has the performance numbers 0-62 mph and the test you post is 0-60, heck yeah the Audi has better numbers to 0-60 too.. On the Porsche Cayman 0-62mph Read it and weep... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...-3.4-S/236352/

Let me simplify for you: Nissan states 0-62 mph is 5.5 secs
== Sources i have say Audi TTS does 0-62 mph in 5.2 secs
== Most updated Test, Cayman does 0-62 mph in 4.9 secs

Its always convenient for manufacturers to mislead the public during advertisements - mostly done by desperate companies, i'm not trying to down Nissan, heck i've owned 3 Infiniti's in the last 5 years. I just don't agree with their in-accurate test numbers..

Please READ next time..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 07-30-10 at 03:38 AM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets