Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 02:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like it. Stick it to them Nissan
Old 07-30-10, 03:28 PM
fatddyslam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I can so see BMW jumping into this with a 370z with a decal saying...'Faster than Boxster and TT, but not quite an M3"
Does that rhyme on purpose? Cute.

370Z vs. M3 is not an apples-to-apples comparison. The M3 better damn well be faster than a 370Z. Hell, the car should jack you off given the price you pay for one. BMW would lose all credibility to compare a 370Z to an M3---they just wouldnt.

As for this thread--it's hilarious. Everyone takes things so personally.

370Z, Cayman, Z4, and TT-S performance figures are subjective. With so many variables that can affect the performance of a vehicle (by as little as a tenth of a second), it's hard to maintain consistency from test-to-test.

If Nissan's posting figures that are better than the TT-S, Cayman, and Z4, who knows if they're any more accurate than that of Motortrend, Car & Driver, etc.

The bottom line is this: The Z offers performance, design (subjective), and reliability for THOUSANDS less than its closest competition. Whether or not it's a tenth of a second slower/faster than the competition doesnt change the fact that the car's a GREAT performer.

As for Nissan's method of marketing: More power to them. Audi, for one, is constantly attacking BMW and Lexus with its ads---the same way paper towel companies attack one another (dont ask me why I thought of paper towels).

Nissan's trying to shift public perception of its vehicles by being blunt and to the point. Why pay so much more when you can have equal [or better] performance, style, and quality for less? Oh, right, because you're badge trolls the lot of you

I will agree with a previous post, however, that the Z has enough history whereas this type of marketing may detract from it. Otherwise, war is war--have at it.

Last edited by fatddyslam; 07-30-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-31-10, 03:38 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fatddyslam
Does that rhyme on purpose? Cute.

370Z vs. M3 is not an apples-to-apples comparison. The M3 better damn well be faster than a 370Z. Hell, the car should jack you off given the price you pay for one. BMW would lose all credibility to compare a 370Z to an M3---they just wouldnt.

As for this thread--it's hilarious. Everyone takes things so personally.

370Z, Cayman, Z4, and TT-S performance figures are subjective. With so many variables that can affect the performance of a vehicle (by as little as a tenth of a second), it's hard to maintain consistency from test-to-test.

If Nissan's posting figures that are better than the TT-S, Cayman, and Z4, who knows if they're any more accurate than that of Motortrend, Car & Driver, etc.

The bottom line is this: The Z offers performance, design (subjective), and reliability for THOUSANDS less than its closest competition. Whether or not it's a tenth of a second slower/faster than the competition doesnt change the fact that the car's a GREAT performer.

As for Nissan's method of marketing: More power to them. Audi, for one, is constantly attacking BMW and Lexus with its ads---the same way paper towel companies attack one another (dont ask me why I thought of paper towels).

Nissan's trying to shift public perception of its vehicles by being blunt and to the point. Why pay so much more when you can have equal [or better] performance, style, and quality for less? Oh, right, because you're badge trolls the lot of you

I will agree with a previous post, however, that the Z has enough history whereas this type of marketing may detract from it. Otherwise, war is war--have at it.
Very well put.. I like the way you think..

Going on your logic, The 2011 Mustang GT is just as fast and capable as an M3 but I don't see Ford (yet) attacking anyone.. I think they just let the cars sell themselves but I think these days car companies (most of them) are too desperate and feel they have to put down another car to gain respect, to me when i see that I lose respect for the Antagonized company.
Old 07-31-10, 03:49 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its bold and makes the point. Of course some wont' like it but I find it beyond hilarious when a Euro brand does it "oh thats funny and so cool" but if Nissan or a Japanese brand does it well its "immature and silly".
Not at all. If Porsche or some other European brand took this route, I'd be critical of it. You seem to have defined me as some sort of "Euro fanboy".

Europe is a super brand snob continent. Nissan wont' be considered by most based on badge anyway so they might as well take some jabs at the competition.
The 370Z is most likely not selling well here because of its massive engine (for European standards) - and those with money would rather get something from Porsche etc. If the Z came with a couple of smaller engine choices, I suspect it sales would be healthier.

Europeans don't seem to go for mainstream cars with big engines like we Americans do. Cars like the Honda Legend (Acura RL), Kia Opirus (Amanti) and Hyundai Grandeur (Azera), all available with a "big V6" are sales failures in Europe. Their European rivals, the Passat, Laguna, C5, Superb etc. are healthy sellers with their smaller engines. The big V6 motors in these cars, though available, seem to be at the bottom of the desirability scale.

If the Legend, Amanti etc. came with smaller engine options, "realistic engine options" in the eyes of the Europeans, I would think their sales would be more successful.

FYI the reviews in Europe are very positive for the Zed there and many feel its nearly on par with the Cayman S for thousdands less. The TT never was really well received anywhere.
Nobody is denying the 370Z is an impressive performer, but some people also want a "badge/status" and the Nissan badge, for all its impressiveness, just doesn't deliver on that the way the Porsche or Audi badge does.

The Nissan GT-R is an incredible machine, right? Yet, most people would probably prefer the simple Porsche 911 Carrera standing next to it in the parking lot because "it's a Porsche" (or the recognizable shape etc.).
Old 07-31-10, 03:51 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Haha you bet ya. Even if our country is corrupt and ridden with crime, I can say that AFAIK, doing something like this on Philippine soil will not allow you to get away with such an act that easily

Take instance this one

In America, it's alright to do that.

However, in the Philippines, the moment Audi/PGA Cars mentions the word 'BMW' in any of their ads be it TV, print, non-print, etc., then your ad will not get approved.

You can be sued and under fair trade laws and local advertising regulations, any violator can be fined and prosecuted

Thank you for this information.

With the exception of Japan, I've never been to any other Asian country.
Old 07-31-10, 02:20 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I don't smoke at all but maybe you do as you don't pay attention well. The AD posted by Nissan has the performance numbers 0-62 mph and the test you post is 0-60, heck yeah the Audi has better numbers to 0-60 too.. On the Porsche Cayman 0-62mph Read it and weep... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...-3.4-S/236352/

Let me simplify for you: Nissan states 0-62 mph is 5.5 secs
== Sources i have say Audi TTS does 0-62 mph in 5.2 secs
== Most updated Test, Cayman does 0-62 mph in 4.9 secs

Its always convenient for manufacturers to mislead the public during advertisements - mostly done by desperate companies, i'm not trying to down Nissan, heck i've owned 3 Infiniti's in the last 5 years. I just don't agree with their in-accurate test numbers..

Please READ next time..
Nissan can state whatever they want but going by MotorTrend's numbers, the Z is faster than the other two cars. And the link you posted is for the Cayman S not the regular Cayman. Use some logical reasoning next time.
Old 08-01-10, 06:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the ads are funny, but I'd still rather drive the slower more expensive mid engine sports car. The Nissan 350/370 is a cool car, but the Cayman is the better all around sports car IMHO.