Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Post Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets

Pretty bold!

A new and rather aggressive advertising campaign regarding the Nissan 370Z and GT-R sports cars has kicked off in Britain. The company launched a series of poster and print adverts highlighting the fact that both sports cars are better in terms of performance yet cost less than their equivalent German rivals.

And mind you, Nissan isn't being polite as the automaker is using tongue-in-cheek phrases in the ads such as "The Winner Hans Down," "The Germans Came Off Wurst," "Kaisers Chiefed" and "Deutschland Deutschland Über-Rated".

To further frustrate its German adversaries, the Japanese company took an Audi TTS bearing the slogan "More expensive, slower and less powerful than a Nissan 370Z" around the streets of London. It was joined by a Porsche Cayman adorned with the words "I dream of being as fast as a Nissan 370Z". Ouch...

"It simply challenges the convention of German sportscars being the only benchmark for performance and quality," says Steve McLennan, Nissan Marketing Director.

"Nissan is confident in the ability of 370Z and GT-R to eclipse our comparable German rivals in terms of outright performance and accessibility and it's now time to shout about it."

We still haven't seen the ads on the GT-R, but the 370Z print campaign, which will appear in key men's lifestyle and motoring magazines, plus outdoor poster sites across the UK over the next six months, includes other cars as well such as the BMW Z4 and the Porsche Boxster.

The first outdoor poster concerning the 370Z went on display on the huge 360-degree 47ft tall BFI IMAX billboard at Waterloo, London.

And just in case you're not aware of the 370Z's performance specs and how it compares against the German competition, below are two charts with the basic details, courtesy of Nissan.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/07...poke-some.html

The 370Z can only dream of having a manual transmission as nice as the TT. And that's not even taking into account the aesthetics.

What petty advertising. :thumbdown:

Old 07-25-10, 07:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LMAO, this is epic!!! I love it. Not everyone might realize it right now, but this is a declaration of war.

Look for 400hp+ Z, TT and Cayman in the nearmost future.
Old 07-25-10, 08:35 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When all of them are put together, 370Z looks so much better. Is it the black color effect?
Old 07-25-10, 09:57 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
When all of them are put together, 370Z looks so much better. Is it the black color effect?
Possibly, but the 370Z looks good regardless. I for one prefer the Audi TTS styling.
Old 07-25-10, 10:16 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I recently drove a 370Z ... I absolutely do not want it.
Old 07-25-10, 10:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the slickest marketing approach IMO.
Old 07-25-10, 10:59 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Really lame marketing if you ask me. Effective marketing doesn't need to involve talking badly about your competitors.

It's not creative or original. The ad agency who came up with this idea should be slapped silly.
Old 07-25-10, 11:05 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Lol!

I'm sure there are a ton of people cross shopping Caymans with 370's.
Old 07-26-10, 12:14 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's funny for a minute.

then you look at the performance figures......
50 more hp than a TT, and it's still neck n neck.

and das germans or brits won't consider a nissan.
Old 07-26-10, 04:36 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen the 370Z attack billboards here in London. They're all over the place on the motorways.
Old 07-26-10, 04:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Which car would your kidneys and spine hate more?????
Old 07-26-10, 05:19 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Top Gear has proven that the fastest thing through London is a man.
Old 07-26-10, 09:35 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

The car is a blast to drive. Great bang for your buck.
Old 07-26-10, 09:59 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't the first time Nissan has taken aim at Porsche so I don't really think it's that big of a deal. If Porsche is their benchmark then I have no issues with them calling Porsche out as long as it's factual.

The first time I can remember seeing Nissan take a jab at Porsche was with a banner of a Le Mans Sunset (orange/copper color) Z33 with the caption reading something like "Things to do, places to see, Porsches to pass"
Old 07-26-10, 01:36 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not the slickest marketing approach IMO.
I agree completely.

These "attack advertisements" are just plain silly and banned in certain markets, such as Germany for example, because it goes against the fair competition law in that country. The legal way to do this advertisement in Germany would be for Nissan to claim that their 370Z performs better than many "competitors" and for much less money. This means that it is up to the buyers to decide which cars compete with the 370Z based on their own needs (for example: whoever is interested in a Nissan 370Z will doubtless look at other performance cars in its class).

I believe the agency that did this also provided the manufacturer claims for all performance data in the advertisements. Manufacturer claims tend to be underrated for legal reasons (nobody wants a lawsuit).

Lastly, since when does the Nissan 370Z compete with premium sports cars like the Audi TT or Porsche Cayman? From a status point of view, the 370Z trails both German cars simply because it's a "Nissan". Furthermore, there have always been cheaper mainstream cars that outperformed more expensive premium cars for as long as cars existed. Do the words BIG DEAL mean anything?

I've never found the 350Z/370Z attractive at all. Its performance credentials and qualities are unquestioned, but to me the design is also important and the 370Z is just aesthetically terrible to look at, in my opinion of course. From this bunch, I'd go with the Audi TT. Sleek design, a good mix between sport and comfort and probably a bit more spacious than the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Nissan attacks Audi TTS and Porsche Cayman on London streets