Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

World's first exclusive BMW M Division Dealership Opens!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 09:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I assume that car in the showroom is brand-new) you would expect a underhood pad, at least new from the factory.

I doubt it because of the lifts underneath the car and that car and the black one are the only two inside the shop with windows I can see are clearly tinted I'm thinking they are in for repair/service and are owned. lol maybe they are getting oil changes.
Old 07-27-10, 10:11 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I can understand that for owners who like loud engine noise. Some mega-priced exotics like Ferraris, Lambos, etc.....deliberately lack insulaton.....they are expected to be noisy. But, for an expensive sport-luxury sedan like the BMW M3 ( I assume that car in the showroom is brand-new) you would expect a underhood pad, at least new from the factory.
BMW is not Lexus.

The sound of the v8 sounds quite nice and not obnoxious at all. I have borrowed 2 different M3s, each 2 weeks at a time. I'm sure RominL will attest that the car is not really loud at all. One of the M3s I borrowed had the Vanguard exhaust and it was not loud at all. I am not a fan of loud exhausts fwiw.
Old 07-27-10, 10:31 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pure unadulterated WIN!!!
Old 07-27-10, 11:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335i
BMW is not Lexus.

The sound of the v8 sounds quite nice and not obnoxious at all. I have borrowed 2 different M3s, each 2 weeks at a time. I'm sure RominL will attest that the car is not really loud at all. One of the M3s I borrowed had the Vanguard exhaust and it was not loud at all. I am not a fan of loud exhausts fwiw.
You are right as the IS F is louder and has a dual intake system. The M3 is much quieter.

Old 07-27-10, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks, Henry, for the thread.

Are you kidding me? Look at the underside of that hood. A 65-70K vehicle with no insulation pad?

err... like others said, having the pads would be stupid. this is a performance car, so they didn't bother putting that in to save weight. just like why the front fenders are plastic to get the weight balance.

when you are outside, the car does sound loud (and raw), but inside the cabin, honestly, i don't think it's bad at all for a car like this (and my expectation).
Old 07-27-10, 11:30 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are right as the IS F is louder and has a dual intake system. The M3 is much quieter.
Touche!

I need to sit in one again then. Perhaps the M3 was louder because I hit the clutch and revved it.
Old 07-27-10, 01:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Yes, I can understand that for owners who like loud engine noise. Some mega-priced exotics like Ferraris, Lambos, etc.....deliberately lack insulaton.....they are expected to be noisy. But, for an expensive sport-luxury sedan like the BMW M3 ( I assume that car in the showroom is brand-new) you would expect a underhood pad, at least new from the factory.
Originally Posted by rominl
err... like others said, having the pads would be stupid. this is a performance car, so they didn't bother putting that in to save weight. just like why the front fenders are plastic to get the weight balance.

when you are outside, the car does sound loud (and raw), but inside the cabin, honestly, i don't think it's bad at all for a car like this (and my expectation).

^ wut he said.
Old 07-27-10, 01:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
M3 V8 sounds whimpy compares to C63 and RS4. Not so sure about IS-F because I forget how IS-F sounds like already.
Old 07-27-10, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by STIG
M3 V8 sounds whimpy compares to C63 and RS4. Not so sure about IS-F because I forget how IS-F sounds like already.
isf is loud, louder than m3 for sure, very deep roar
Old 07-28-10, 07:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

uh oh....what's the lowly 135i doing there!?!??

Old 07-28-10, 07:54 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

1M maybe?????
Old 07-28-10, 09:45 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
The M3's smaller displacement V8 was made to be more rev happy than that of the large displacement C63 (and likely RS4) which probably is part of why the two sound so different. C63 sports a lot more torque than the M3 but doesn't rev as high... Kind of like how a Ferrari V8 sounds nothing like Chevy/Ford V8.
Old 07-28-10, 09:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Are you kidding me? Look at the underside of that hood. A 65-70K vehicle with no insulation pad?
The pad "dresses up visually" the engine compartment more than it actually suppresses noise. Noise suppression (for driver and passenger sitting in passenger compartment, which is where they normally sit) is largely achieved via advanced designs including good firewall designs, engine mounting systems, accessory (AC, alternator, etc.) mounting and belt systems, and obviously intake and exhaust systems.
Old 07-28-10, 10:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The M3's smaller displacement V8 was made to be more rev happy than that of the large displacement C63 (and likely RS4) which probably is part of why the two sound so different. C63 sports a lot more torque than the M3 but doesn't rev as high... Kind of like how a Ferrari V8 sounds nothing like Chevy/Ford V8.
yup, that's correct. same with isf as well (together with c63), they are all big displacement engines, lower rev, much deeper engine sound.

the v8 in the m3 (similarly the v10 in m5/6) revs much higher and the pitch is higher. though i have to say, when idling or lower rev, my m3 doesn't sound that good compared to the competition. but when it's past 4000rpm and to redline, it picks up
Old 07-28-10, 10:34 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't knock the M3's exhaust note potential.... Especially with the correct exhaust.
This is absolute bliss! And what I would want mine to have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQ06...layer_embedded

Quick Reply: World's first exclusive BMW M Division Dealership Opens!