Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra to Live On; Sequoia Will live on as well

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyAlder
. Toyota is the only manufacturer with two Toyota badged body on frame full size SUVs.
Chevy markets both the Tahoe and Suburban full-size body-on-frame, truck-based SUVs. So does GMC, with the Yukon and Yukon XL....essentially rebadged Tahoe/Suburban twins. Of course, the Suburban/Yukon XL, Silverado-based, is simply a stretched version of the smaller (but still full-size) Tahoe/Yukon platform.

(I'm not sure, though, about the Ford Expedition and Expedition L.......the Expedition may be going from the truck-based F-150 platform to a unitized frame soon)

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 12:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm hearing this rumor is false. The Sequoia will continue.
This makes sense. It's extremely rare for Toyota to discontinue a model, and it usually does so when that model is replaced with another model.

The market may be smaller now for full-size SUVs, but there is still a market and always will be a market.
Old 10-07-10, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This makes sense. It's extremely rare for Toyota to discontinue a model, and it usually does so when that model is replaced with another model.
Toyota dropped both the Celica and MR-2 (at least from the American market) in 2006.......and has not replaced them (unless you consider the Scion tC, technically, to be a Celica replacement).

The market may be smaller now for full-size SUVs, but there is still a market and always will be a market.
There will be, as long as people have boats, horses, Live-in-trailers, and other heavy items to tow....and unlike pickup trucks, a big family inside, too.
Old 10-07-10, 09:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

JUST returned from Toyota dealer... the Sequoia lives on
Old 10-07-10, 12:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
JUST returned from Toyota dealer... the Sequoia lives on
Did you talk a deal on one?

(Just Kidding)
Old 10-07-10, 12:24 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you talk a deal on one?

(Just Kidding)
As a matter of fact... ... in negotiations... trying to find one to my specs or custom order, but even if custom I'm already working discount... INVOICE baby!!!!
Old 10-07-10, 12:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get saddle interior!!
Old 10-07-10, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho as long as separate from tundra platform. previous one, great. current one, whatever
Old 11-18-10, 03:22 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I'll tell you that I really enjoy my new Tundra. I think that they did a great job with the overall look of the truck. Is it THE perfect truck? probably not, but it sure does get a lot o compliments and I would actually say that the interior isn't as bad as some make it sound. It is actually quite nice. I do miss my GS though.
Old 11-18-10, 04:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

From my sources, this rumor is FALSE. Sequoia is living strong for 2011 model year.
Old 11-18-10, 07:55 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's also true with the Sequoia, which is Tundra-derived, and, to a lesser extent, with the present-generation Camry (especially the interior). But it is not, IMO, characteristic of all newer Toyotas. The Corolla and Yaris still remain well-built small cars (though the latest Corolla got some slightly cheaper interior parts), and the new Highlander, especially the top-level Limited version, shows good asembly quality and fit/finish.
i sat in the tundra in the ny auto show and was embarrassed for toyota for putting that interior in there.
the dash and shifter had the flimsiest plastics i've ever seen in a car.

the best toyota interior these days is the RAV4.
Old 11-18-10, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i sat in the tundra in the ny auto show and was embarrassed for toyota for putting that interior in there.

Not as bad as the last G35 which was a supposed luxury car. That was a true embarrassment.

Old 11-19-10, 06:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Tundra would be my clear choice if I were to buy a pickup.

I can't even believe that the Tundra's continued existence was a debate.

IMO, it's the best looking truck as well.

I do like the latest Dodge Ram just as well but long term Chrysler quality continues to be a problem.

I sat in the tundra in the NY auto show and was embarrassed for Toyota for putting that interior in there.
the dash and shifter had the flimsiest plastics I've ever seen in a car.
You haven't sat in many cars then. Compared to only the very latest truck interiors, the Tundra materials quality begins to fall short, but not awful.

Have you sat in a Titan? THAT is awful. Thin plastics everywhere and parts ready to fall off. Or the last generation Ram? The Tundra's interior, IMO has very functional and durable even though it is a bit overly plastic. At least they are thick, sturdy, quality plastics.
Old 11-19-10, 06:30 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As a matter of fact... ... in negotiations... trying to find one to my specs or custom order, but even if custom I'm already working discount... INVOICE baby!!!!
Did you get it?
Old 11-19-10, 10:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I sat in the Tundra too at a auto show and agree the interior was pretty bad. My uncle just got a GMC full size pickup and the interior seemed better done with better quality, Fords full size pickup interiors are nice too.

I think exterior wise the Tundra is the nicest looking pickup. I don't think their was anything wrong with the exterior design nor was it the reason it sold well below expectations. The full sized pickup segment is very tough to break into with strong buyer loyalty, perhaps the strongest of any segment. With some disappointments with quality, publicized issues with Tundras, and modern American pickups from Ford and GM being very well done it is no surprise the Tundra struggled.

I have to disagree with the RAV4 having the best toyota interior, it is pretty bad and stands out as being cheap, plasticky, with a underwhelming design. I think the 2008+ Highlander and latest Avalon have the nicest interiors recently in the Toyota lineup.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Tundra to Live On; Sequoia Will live on as well-2008_toyota_highlander_hybrid-interior.jpg