Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Announces 2011 Sportage Prices/Specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Kia Announces 2011 Sportage Prices/Specs

The all-new Sportage, as the last one was, appears to be quite a bargain, starting at only 18K, and including a fair amount of equipment for the price. It competes with vehicles like the RAV4, CR-V, Outlander, Forester, Escape, etc....that generally run a few thousand more....even Hyundai's own sister Tuscon can't beat its price.

My brother, just last week, bought a new Soul (FWD, and one step down from the Sportage) and is just delighted with it. Kia, though, even with the respect I have for it (and for Hyundai), has not yet converted me.....I'm still a Subaru man.

One feature, though, where Kia is still behind the times is that, unlike many manufacturers, they still have not made DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) standard on their U.S.-market models...the 2011 Sportage may be the first model to do so. DRLs, of course, can burn the bulbs out a little quicker, but they are nice to have in states (like my own) that have the lights-on-with-wiper laws for rain and low visibility. With the DRLs, you can never forget to turn the lights on and off with the wipers.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-at-18295.html

Kia has priced its newly redesigned and reengineered 2011 Kia Sportage at $18,295. The new Sportage is $1,600 more expensive than the outgoing 2010 base model, though it’s still a good deal compared with its competitors such as the Hyundai Tucson and Nissan Rouge.

The Sportage comes in three trim levels: base, LX and EX. All Sportages come with a new 176-horsepower, 2.4-liter inline-four cylinder mated either to a six-speed manual transmission (available only on the base model) or a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is optional on all trims. An SX trim will get a 270-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, but that model won’t be available when the Sportage arrives at dealerships later this month.

The base model comes with a similar level of standard features as its predecessor: cruise control, Bluetooth, air conditioning, 16-inch alloy wheels and power windows, locks and mirrors.

The LX costs $20,295 and comes with all of the above options and adds an automatic transmission, exterior mirrors with LED turn signals, keyless entry and tinted windows. The LX also has several options — such as 17-inch wheels, navigation system, rear backup sensors, rearview backup camera, heated side mirrors and an air-conditioned glove box — but the automaker did not reveal the pricing.

The EX starts at $23,295 and includes 18-inch alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****, automatic folding rear seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, air-conditioned glove box and UVO, which is similar to Ford’s Sync. Options on the EX include leather seats, heated/cooled front seats, push-button start, rearview backup camera and a panoramic sunroof.

You need to tack on another $695 in destination fees on all the above prices.

The Sportage competes against the more affordable entries in the compact crossover segment. The Sportage is cheaper than its corporate cousin, the Tucson ($18,745), and $2,165 cheaper than the Rogue, a well regarded bargain.