Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Full-Review: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 04:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Well but some of us have kids. My daughter for instance just got her permit last week, and the time will soon come when I'll have to get her a car, and it would have to be an inexpensive one.

Cars like the Fiesta, Focus, Civic, Golf and so on are great inexpensive choices. Although in my case, I'd rather get her a base Accord/Camry, just out of the safety concerns.
Doesn't change the reality as I stated,"The reality is that most of us here (CL being a premium car/Lexus forum) are more likely to rent this car than end up owning it." And doesn't mean I'm suggesting there is no interest either. I for one happen to be interested in a broad spectrum of vehicles including this one.

Well some of us have kids, family members and friends shopping in this range of cars and I'm frequently asked to assist in the decision process. For instance my wife's daughter needed a car while in college because her Acura was getting very old. I bought and paid for a new Xb for her at that time.

My personal preferences too are geared to safer cars.

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-29-10 at 05:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-29-10, 06:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once again, an awesome review Mike!!!

But I have to admit, Clarkson sells this car very well.

After watching this video, I ****ing want a Fiesta!!!
Old 07-29-10, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My personal preferences too are geared to safer cars.
In that case, there are two companies that would probably be glad to accomodate you.

Among small, inexpensive cars not un the upmarket M-B/Volvo class, the VW Beetle is arguably the best-performer in the safety-area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Once again, an awesome review Mike!!!
Thanks, Phil.

But I have to admit, Clarkson sells this car very well.

After watching this video, I ****ing want a Fiesta!!!
Clarkson, of course, like some other auto-enthusiast publications, drives his test cars under more grueling circumstances than I do. He can give a better description of their track performance, and of their behavior at the limits, than I can. My reviews, in contrast, try and describe the car as completely, from stem to stern, as possible, and to tell you, in general, what you get for your money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-10 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 07:23 PM
LexFather

Nice review.
I've seen a couple on the road in nice bright colors. Its cute and looks cool. The giant tall hood is pretty well giant and tall

Old 07-29-10, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review.
Thanks.

I've seen a couple on the road in nice bright colors. Its cute and looks cool. The giant tall hood is pretty well giant and tall
So they have the bright blue, yellow, red, and magenta (pink-purple) ones there in Atlanta now? The only ones I've seen here in the D.C. area in dealer-stock have been black or white, though I did see one lime-green hatchback on the road. The lime-green seems to be the feature color for many Fiesta ads.

Either way, I'm glad, as I stated in the review, that the paint-marketers have finally started to wake up and give us (on a non-sports car) real colors......and more than just funeral shades.

That "tall" hood, BTW, is not as tall as it seems. One of the Fiesta's outward-vision weaknesses is that, because of the way the dash is designed and the way the front hood slopes down, you can't see the front edge of the car when parking...so some care is required when pulling into a parking space with an obstacle or wall in front.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 10:52 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good Lord, that car of Clarkson's is green - and not in a good way. That's the same sickening green that came on early Pintos. We had a couple of Pinto wagons in this nauseating shade, and they were always the last cars checked out. Both were '74 models with 4-speeds, and it was amazing how no one remembered how to drive a stick on Friday afternoons. I think it wasn't the stick, but the color no one wanted in their driveway.
Old 07-30-10, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Good Lord, that car of Clarkson's is green - and not in a good way. That's the same sickening green that came on early Pintos. We had a couple of Pinto wagons in this nauseating shade, and they were always the last cars checked out. Both were '74 models with 4-speeds, and it was amazing how no one remembered how to drive a stick on Friday afternoons. I think it wasn't the stick, but the color no one wanted in their driveway.
I don't find it sickening at all. In fact, that's the feature color that Ford uses in most of its Fiesta ads. You will also find a similiar (but slightly brighter) color on mega-dollar Lamborghini exotics.

Old 07-30-10, 10:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In that case, there are two companies that would probably be glad to accomodate you.

Among small, inexpensive cars not un the upmarket M-B/Volvo class, the VW Beetle is arguably the best-performer in the safety-area.
Fortunately in 2010 (today) there are many more premium brand choices with top rankings in safety in addition to Mercedes and Volvo (including cars made by Lexus, BMW, Audi). And several inexpensive cars have safety ratings as high as the VW Beetle combined with higher side impact safety and higher quality too.

I do agree, Mercedes has accomodated the consumers desire for safety very consistently over the years.

Refer to IIHS for more specifics on vehicles available in the US.

But in terms of general safety of the better small/light cars versus the better larger/heavier cars, we know that answer which is what I was referring to originally.

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-30-10 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-30-10, 10:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My eyes hurt after looking at that green car, can't imagine owning one that color, lol.
Old 07-30-10, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fortunately in 2010 (today) there are many more premium brand choices with top rankings in safety in addition to Mercedes and Volvo (including cars made by Lexus, BMW, Audi).
Yes, that's true, but M-B and Volvo wrote the book on crash-protection. They were the ones that developed many of the systems that those other companies now use.

And several inexpensive cars have safety ratings as high than the VW Beetle combined with higher side impact safety and higher quality too.

Refer to IIHS for more specifics on vehicles available in the US.

But in terms of general safety of the better small cars versus the better larger cars, we know that answer which is what I was referring to originally.
That's why I said the Beetle was (arguably) the safest small-car....others have begun to catch up. The Beetle's reliability has indeed been poor, according to Consumer Reports.....interesting, considering that its sister Golf, done on the same platform, has been better-than-average.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 10:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not a car I would buy but still love reading the reviews from you and 1SickLex and others..
Keep 'em coming,Mike.
Old 07-30-10, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My eyes hurt after looking at that green car, can't imagine owning one that color, lol.
You're not alone with that complaint.....a number of people don't seem to like lime-green. I myself, though, am a fan of stand-out, Look-At-Me colors.....including that one.
Old 07-30-10, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

That's why I said the Beetle was arguably the safest small-car....others have begun to catch up. The Beetle's reliability has indeed been poor, according to Consumer Reports.....interesting, considering that its sister Golf, done on the same platform, has been better-then-average.
Yes, I saw the disclaimer or "arguably".

Others have both caught up and exceeded the safety of the VW new Beetle, especially in the area of side impact safety.

Good luck when it comes to selecting a VW and expecting reliability, the history in the US is consistently mediocre at best.
Old 07-30-10, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Not a car I would buy but still love reading the reviews from you and 1SickLex and others..
Keep 'em coming,Mike.
Thanks, Joeb. I've got several others planned, depending on availability. And 1SICK said he wants to drive the IS350AWD. I also plan to review it.

Quick Reply: Full-Review: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback