Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question on IS-F price. Any input appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:49 PM
LexFather

My post is what most reasonable people will think. Anything outside that is their opinion.
M3 handles better and is the standard in class
IS F handles damn good but misses some of the intimacy of the M3 (this is true about 2008/2009 models. 2010 models have the LSD which does wonders but hasn't had a full test. No info on what the 2011 revised suspension drives like)
M3 interior is spartan and less luxurious
IS F interior is superior and a selling point
Google maps on your cell>either NAV system (thanks Stig lol). IS F touchscreen more intuitive than iDrive (which is improved)
Acceleration is a wash and delivered differently. M3 likes to rev, IS F has more low end torque
M3 more common than the IS F (both are still rare)
IS F comes loaded. M3 needs to have options added
M3 has (gasp) a folding rear seat which is what the majority of performance buyers look at
M3 offers stick. IS F offers 8 speed only
IS F sound system is superior to the M3
IS F is more and will be more reliable
M3 holds the edge with panache and prestige

Having recently been giving hot laps in M3s at Skip Barber and having sufficient experience in the IS F I think what it comes down to is personal preferences. Neither car blows the other out in most categories. The IS F is simply an amazing first effort. The M3 continues to set the handling bar in class.

Originally Posted by tofu_house
hey guys, thank you all for your input and help.

sorry i haven't responded. i've been busy and haven't had the chance to look through all of the replies.

i'll definitely be looking at both the cars thoroughly before the purchase (int/ext, testdrive) before i make my decision. i had the chance to look at the interior of my friend's e92 m3 (sedan) this afternoon and i definitely see what you guys mean when you say the F's interior is significantly better.

thank you all for your input. i'll update you guys when i make my decision and possible purchase.
Excellent.

Old 08-01-10, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Please elaborate on the features, details, and usage as I do not see how the Lexus system is better when comparing our IS to my 335D. For the record, I owned a 335i for 3 years, and now am on an 2010 335D (improved I-Drive).

The Lexus is an IS250 that I have probably driven for more than 10,000 miles, since 2007.
lol everyone reads your signature and knows what cars you have had. it's just far simpler to input addresses and destinations and search on lexus nav. i think so, my wife most definitely thinks so (she's always frustrated how hard it is to go up and down and look for information). bmw nav is noticeably slower than lexus nav. when you are on the map screen, it's very hard to scroll through the map (you have to go to the side and select + and then move up and down, vs one touch on the screen to re-center).

sorry, but no matter what the bmw nav (even the new one) is just harder to use for me. maybe i am dumb, but apparently a lot of owners out there agree with me (vs how many lexus owners i have heard saying their nav is hard to use).
Old 08-01-10, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My post is what most reasonable people will think. Anything outside that is their opinion.
M3 handles better and is the standard in class
IS F handles damn good but misses some of the intimacy of the M3 (this is true about 2008/2009 models. 2010 models have the LSD which does wonders but hasn't had a full test. No info on what the 2011 revised suspension drives like)
M3 interior is spartan and less luxurious
IS F interior is superior and a selling point
Google maps on your cell>either NAV system (thanks Stig lol). IS F touchscreen more intuitive than iDrive (which is improved)
Acceleration is a wash and delivered differently. M3 likes to rev, IS F has more low end torque
M3 more common than the IS F (both are still rare)
IS F comes loaded. M3 needs to have options added
M3 has (gasp) a folding rear seat which is what the majority of performance buyers look at
M3 offers stick. IS F offers 8 speed only
IS F sound system is superior to the M3
IS F is more and will be more reliable
M3 holds the edge with panache and prestige
I agree with virtually all of this except for two minor points. First, you didn't mention the IS-F's very harsh ride...if you are not on a glass-smooth road, you'll know it. Second, the IS-F, as you note, does have different torque characteristics from the M3, but it is not necessarily low-end. You and I both noticed (remember?) in our test-drives that the IS-F's torque was rather flat below 3500, but came on like a slingshot between 3600-4000 as the secondary EFI kicks in and gives it more fuel.
Old 08-02-10, 04:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol everyone reads your signature and knows what cars you have had. it's just far simpler to input addresses and destinations and search on lexus nav. i think so, my wife most definitely thinks so (she's always frustrated how hard it is to go up and down and look for information). bmw nav is noticeably slower than lexus nav. when you are on the map screen, it's very hard to scroll through the map (you have to go to the side and select + and then move up and down, vs one touch on the screen to re-center).

sorry, but no matter what the bmw nav (even the new one) is just harder to use for me. maybe i am dumb, but apparently a lot of owners out there agree with me (vs how many lexus owners i have heard saying their nav is hard to use).
The new idrive is easy to operate and works very well and doesn't have the silly Lexus/Toyota lockout while in motion.
Old 08-02-10, 08:04 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
both navi system are garbage compare to the google map on my Driod.
Funny that you mention that, but this was brought up as one of my complaints about the Nav in my feedback to Lexus, so far as improvements go (in more words, of course).
Old 08-02-10, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The new idrive is easy to operate and works very well and doesn't have the silly Lexus/Toyota lockout while in motion.
easier? yes. but to me, i wouldn't say it's easier than the touch screen and setup on lexus. of course, like i said before, the lexus lockout is a big bummer
Old 08-02-10, 08:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

easier? yes. but to me, i wouldn't say it's easier than the touch screen and setup on lexus. of course, like i said before, the lexus lockout is a big bummer
I like the mouse setup on my RX so much more than the touch screen I had.
Another plus is the NAV screen is higher on the dash because of the mouse.
No fingerprints too.
Old 08-02-10, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I like the mouse setup on my RX so much more than the touch screen I had.
Another plus is the NAV screen is higher on the dash because of the mouse.
No fingerprints too.
totally understand you, i like the remote touch a lot too. to me that's intuitive. idrive, not so much

sorry to OP, i think we have drifted so much away from the topic
Old 08-02-10, 09:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

totally understand you, i like the remote touch a lot too. to me that's intuitive. idrive, not so much

sorry to OP, i think we have drifted so much away from the topic
Yes,weve drifted a bit but if the OP is on the fence with both cars and NAV is important,the Lexus lockout may be an issue.
Old 08-02-10, 10:11 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but there's plenty who don't read.

My last post on the subject...

BMW Navi is not slower anymore since it is HD based. I do agree it is faster to type it in on the touch screen. But BMW's design is to use it while driving and it is safer rather than having to look at a screen and touch an area. If Lexus' system wasn't locked, then it would be more unsafe (like Acura). It is faster to scroll thru the map by moving the side/side/up/down on Lexus, I agree. However it's faster/easier to zoom in and zoom out on the BMW.

I still prefer BMW's other navi features, most importantly, the route list/route information feature you have on your BMW.

BMW's maps look better now though.

Anyways, we can agree to disagree on the differences. A combination of the two would be the best.
Old 08-02-10, 10:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ISF vs M3...two high performing vehicles that can blow your socks off and all we can talk about is...

Old 08-02-10, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Hahhaahahahahahahahaha!

Drop down seats, door lights and navigation

Old 08-02-10, 12:32 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahhaahahahahahahahaha!

The evolution of this thread is pretty epic.

Honestly though...

It's all about drop-down-seats VS. navigation right now.
Old 08-03-10, 03:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, when comparing these (virtually even).... is how much time to you want to spend at the service shop? Regardless of maintenance covered 4yrs/50K miles, I've got MUCH better things to do than sit in a service shop on a BMW. Go talk to a service manager who's worked for multiple high-end manufacturers, then you'll get a good feel for what you'll be dealing with on true ownership.

As for the IS-F's ride, was equal to a Z06 on WI roads... so it was not an issue for me.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-03-10, 06:40 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahhaahahahahahahahaha!

The 2ng Gen IS line has pretty odd cup holder locations, too. They get in the way of the arm rest/shifter.

Quick Reply: Question on IS-F price. Any input appreciated!