Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Even the Pontiac Aztek had its fans.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 05:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'A beautiful car is like a beautiful woman~'... Aztek is neither~
Old 07-29-10, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Again my point is the Aztek AT LEAST had the utility portion correct. I even believe you could make a tent with the rear.

A lot of these ugly SUVs, crossovers etc today have NO NO NO Utility. They should not even have the "U" in their names.

My other point has always been easy. Slap a Honda or BMW badge on it and it would have sold better and people would have went nuts. Since this was a Pontiac, it had no chance.

Old 07-29-10, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

My other point has always been easy. Slap a Honda or BMW badge on it and it would have sold better and people would have went nuts. Since this was a Pontiac, it had no chance.
I don't think it was the Pontiac nameplate so much as its looks. Its sister Buick Rondevous, done on the same platform but with much more conventional styling/looks, actually sold pretty well. A co-worker of mine, at the time, bought a new Rondevous for his wife and kids.
Old 07-29-10, 08:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

perfect example of how sexy sells, and ugly doesn't.

looks like acura and nissan didn't get the memo. neither did Lexus with the HS250

americans are superficial
Old 07-29-10, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
perfect example of how sexy sells, and ugly doesn't.

looks like acura and nissan didn't get the memo. neither did Lexus with the HS250

americans are superficial
Europe and Japan sells some pretty ungainly cars we don't get fyi

Old 07-29-10, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Europe and Japan sells some pretty ungainly cars we don't get fyi
............like Renaults.
Old 07-29-10, 09:20 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Again my point is the Aztek AT LEAST had the utility portion correct. I even believe you could make a tent with the rear.

A lot of these ugly SUVs, crossovers etc today have NO NO NO Utility. They should not even have the "U" in their names.

Aztek did have a optional tent attachment to the tailgate & rear glass. This idea no doubt came from the 1974 Ventura/GTO hatchback tent option. I was somewhat impressed with the Aztec interior which utilized a nice durable pebblegrain vinyl inspired by skindiving equipment. The tailgate was designed for "tailgating" with 2 reliefs in the tailgate for seating & speakers & stereo controls at the rear. The center console was a quick release detachable six-pack size cooler. I was paid to demonstrate preproduction Azteks & I liked the interior. I think if people saw the interior before the exterior it would have helped sales alot.
Old 07-30-10, 12:28 PM
LFeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Aztek did have a optional tent attachment to the tailgate & rear glass. This idea no doubt came from the 1974 Ventura/GTO hatchback tent option. I was somewhat impressed with the Aztec interior which utilized a nice durable pebblegrain vinyl inspired by skindiving equipment. The tailgate was designed for "tailgating" with 2 reliefs in the tailgate for seating & speakers & stereo controls at the rear. The center console was a quick release detachable six-pack size cooler. I was paid to demonstrate preproduction Azteks & I liked the interior. I think if people saw the interior before the exterior it would have helped sales alot.
The Vega also was available with a tent attachment...

Woodward Dream Cruise 2000, next to the Phoenix Center in beautiful downtown Pontiac. A soon-to-be-in-showrooms-everywhere Aztek sat with the tent attached. A bubbly young gal, working at the Pontiac Display, came bouncing over as I looked at it. "What do you think?!" she asked excitedly. "Interesting vehicle, except for one thing. Don't you think the tent will affect highway fuel consumption?" I deadpanned, and walked slowly away...
Old 07-30-10, 12:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
............like Renaults.
Yes, don't get, don't want.
Old 07-30-10, 09:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those tents are available for just about any van or SUV.

http://www.tentsontrucks.com/suvtent.html
Old 07-31-10, 06:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I agree.

Originally Posted by LFeh
The Vega also was available with a tent attachment...

Woodward Dream Cruise 2000, next to the Phoenix Center in beautiful downtown Pontiac. A soon-to-be-in-showrooms-everywhere Aztek sat with the tent attached. A bubbly young gal, working at the Pontiac Display, came bouncing over as I looked at it. "What do you think?!" she asked excitedly. "Interesting vehicle, except for one thing. Don't you think the tent will affect highway fuel consumption?" I deadpanned, and walked slowly away...
lol!!!!

Last edited by LexFather; 07-31-10 at 08:10 PM.

Old 07-31-10, 10:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I'm curious as to how many people that hate on the Aztek have actually been in one?

While I certainly agree that it looks like azz, it was/is actually quite a capable, spacious and comfortable vehicle. A buddy of mine was the sales manager at a GM dealership and drove one for several months. While I disliked the exterior looks, I'd have driven an Aztek long before I'd have thought about any of the crappy minivans that GM was producing at the time if that was what I needed.
Old 07-31-10, 10:51 PM
mybablex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u dun the look why would u want you to sit in one lol
Old 08-02-10, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

They should make a tent for the entire Aztek, to be used for camo.