Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

'11 IS350 awd

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 01:23 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure...anytime. But what was the problem with the 250AWD...just not enough power with the added weight/drag of AWD? Traction-wise, it would have been fine in the snow with winter tires. Of course, the low ground clearance will not give you as much deep-snow prowess as a Forester, Outback, or SUV.
POWER... that's why I got rid of my IS250AWD (which was fine in WI snow)... now a 350 w/ AWD=
Old 07-30-10, 01:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
POWER... that's why I got rid of my IS250AWD (which was fine in WI snow)... now a 350 w/ AWD=
Yeah,I felt the IS250AWD was pretty weak when it came to power.The car definitely needs at least another 30-40 HP and more torque.You won't see that now with a IS350AWD available now.
Old 07-30-10, 01:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The rear seat on the IS350 is so small that when my wife looked at it she said she might as well just get a G35 coupe because the back seats are useless. Its like the rear doors are to simply reduce insurance rates
Old 07-30-10, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The rear seat on the IS350 is so small that when my wife looked at it she said she might as well just get a G35 coupe because the back seats are useless. Its like the rear doors are to simply reduce insurance rates
My '06 IS250AWD was actually my daughter's car.
However,when she had our granddaughter,she had a very hard time dealing with the car seat in back.I bought the IS and she bought a 4Runner at that time.
Old 07-30-10, 02:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Back seat is small, but nothing compared to the usefulness of the coupe backseats. I use the IS as a 2+2 only (therefore backseat is used rarely).

I've actually tried getting in/out of the G37 coupe/335 coupe versus IS350, like night and day difference crawling into the coupes.

In short having the 2 extra doors makes a big difference in gymnastics required to enter/exit the backseat (less headbumping, back-bending, knee-bending, crawling over driver and front passenger). For those that actually use the backseat in this class of car, the current gen C-class and current gen A4 are best (I've checked both out extensively, I've had the C for over 2 years and just returned from Edmonton where I spent 2 days touring city in a new A4).

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-30-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Back seat is small, but nothing compared to the usefulness of the coupe backseats. I use the IS as a 2+2 only (therefore backseat is used rarely).
Agreed. It really wasn't designed as a car for families. There are other, better-suited Lexus sedans for that.

In short having the 2 extra doors makes a big difference in gymnastics required to enter/exit the backseat (less headbumping, back-bending, knee-bending, crawling over driver and front passenger). For those that actually use the backseat in this class of car, the current gen C-class and current gen A4 are best (I've checked both out extensively).
Agreed. And even if you don't use the back seat for passengers, having even small rear doors makes it a lot easier to do things as simple as hanging/draping your jacket on the back of the drivers' seat if you're not wearing it...or to use the small rear seat and rear floor as a package-shelf. I really liked my 1995 Celica, but that's one thing about it that I admit I don't miss.

I suspect that was behind their thinking when Mazda designed the RX-8 and Saturn did their half-rear-door coupes.
Old 07-30-10, 02:59 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure...anytime. But what was the problem with the 250AWD...just not enough power with the added weight/drag of AWD? Traction-wise, it would have been fine in the snow with winter tires. Of course, the low ground clearance will not give you as much deep-snow prowess as a Forester, Outback, or SUV.
The 250AWD was just not fast enough for me The 350 is so much more fun to drive and FAST! The 250 had all seasons while our 350 in the winter has Blizzaks and honestly, the rwd with winter tires might almost be just as good if not better
Old 07-30-10, 03:01 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
^^^^^^

Exactly. US WI folk sometimes have to compromise, but this time around I went all out, IS350 with winter tires/rims = All season bliss
Old 07-30-10, 03:03 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
The 250AWD was just not fast enough for me The 350 is so much more fun to drive and FAST! The 250 had all seasons while our 350 in the winter has Blizzaks and honestly, the rwd with winter tires might almost be just as good if not better
I'd take a 350 RWD with Blizzaks over a 250AWD with ANY set-up anyday!!!
Old 07-30-10, 03:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the feeling the 350 AWD will be a a huge seller and hard to find
Old 07-30-10, 03:58 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm excited for the 350AWD! I always thought the 250 was a seriously underpowered car, but it was there to compete against the 328 (325?)i. Are they going to continue the IS250 AWD or are they dropping it completely? Living in Sunny SoCal, I don't see 250AWD very often (go figure) but wouldn't this overshadow the 250? If they continue it, to them, more options!
Old 07-30-10, 04:16 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

I have a feeling the 250AWD will continue to sell very well. Here in WI, the dealers rarely even carry anything but the 250AWD due to the winters. Even when the 350AWD comes, I anticipate most sales to be the 250's simply because to most, the 250 is adequate power wise. I see lexus following BMW here by offering AWD in several configurations.
Old 07-30-10, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb

I had a feeling that power was the issue. Though with 2 more cylinders, the IS250AWD has essentially the same displacement, with AWD, that many N/A 2.5L Subarus do.....and those Subies are not known for being powerhouses.

As rdgdawg (who also lives in WI) has also pointed out, in the type of very cold, dry, powdery snows typical of WI and the upper Midwest in the wintertime, RWD with a good set of Blizzaks, as you note, probably would do OK. But that setup wouldn't hack it in the slushy, icy, sleety, half-rain/half-snow storms typical of further south...and here in the D.C. area. I've done FWD, RWD with snow tires and all-seasons, and AWD with all-seasons in this area, and there is simply no substitute for AWD here.

Back to the 350...are you going to keep your RWD model or consider the AWD? If, as you say, you are doing OK with the RWD/Blizzak setup, there's probably no reason to get the 350AWD model, as it will be more expensive, have more-complex service, and use more fuel.
Old 07-31-10, 07:15 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

I had a feeling that power was the issue. Though with 2 more cylinders, the IS250AWD has essentially the same displacement, with AWD, that many N/A 2.5L Subarus do.....and those Subies are not known for being powerhouses.

As rdgdawg (who also lives in WI) has also pointed out, in the type of very cold, dry, powdery snows typical of WI and the upper Midwest in the wintertime, RWD with a good set of Blizzaks, as you note, probably would do OK. But that setup wouldn't hack it in the slushy, icy, sleety, half-rain/half-snow storms typical of further south...and here in the D.C. area. I've done FWD, RWD with snow tires and all-seasons, and AWD with all-seasons in this area, and there is simply no substitute for AWD here.

Back to the 350...are you going to keep your RWD model or consider the AWD? If, as you say, you are doing OK with the RWD/Blizzak setup, there's probably no reason to get the 350AWD model, as it will be more expensive, have more-complex service, and use more fuel.
Here in WI I must say they get the roads plowed and salted relatively quickly making a RWD car with winter tires suitable for most.

As for my next car, I will always continue to get the 350 and might get the AWD version just for more piece of mind when my wife is driving(with kids someday too) After driving one and I feel both handling and acceleration are too compromised, then I may stick to what I have. Mines an '08, so I am waiting until the next gen IS comes out anyway.

I also have the sport pkg, which I feel really brings the feel of my 350 closer to the 3 series I have driven through the years. Obviously I cannot get this pkg in AWD either.
Old 07-31-10, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

According to this site (this is not an official Lexus source), the IS350AWD will start at $41,905.

http://www.allaboutauto.us/2010/07/2...ular-fuel.html

Lexus has expelled the really long list of updates and cost changes to the lineup of vehicles for 2011, with the couple of important changes tucked divided in the extensive press releases. The biggest headlines is the key of a new IS350 AWD model. Previously Lexus usually offering an all-wheel drive 250 chronicle of a IS, though right away clientele can enjoy the energy and traction. No 0-60 mph times were expelled (it’s Lexus after all) as well as its not transparent if a added traction will yield any increase in speed improvement over a RWD model’s 5.3 second time, generally deliberation it will supplement weight. Still, it’s good to have the choice of the more powerful 3.5-liter engine with a combined hold. Pricing for the IS350 AWD starts during $41,905, the bump of $2460 over the rear-drive IS350.

(DURING $41,905?)...that's a good one.

All 2011 IS models get brand new grilles and alternative cosmetic tweaks which embody LED using lights as well as brand new 17- as well as 18-inch wheels.

As for the IS-F, it gets updated energy steering as well as cessation for 2011. The “Sport mode” symbol is additionally now found upon the steering wheel, rather than upon the center console.

Also of note is a strange shift for a 2011 ES350, that gets the revised engine mapping setup to run 87 octane fuel, rather than than a premium stuff. Engine outlay is downgraded slightly as good, rom 272-hp as well as 254 ft-lbs of torque, to 268-hp and 248 ft-lbs of torque. The advertised 0-60 mph time has additionally risen, from 6.8 seconds to 7.0 seconds, whilst fuel economy remains constant during 19/27-mpg (city/highway).

On the reserve note, for 2011 all non-hybrid Lexus models will include the brake overrule complement which cuts energy if a gas as well as stop pedals have been press simultaneously.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-10 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: '11 IS350 awd