Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari drops new photos of 458 Challenge test session at Vallelunga

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ferrari drops new photos of 458 Challenge test session at Vallelunga

Ferrari drops new photos of 458 Challenge test session at Vallelunga

A few weeks ago, Ferrari officially debuted its latest Challenge race car, based on the 458 Italia. Now they've released new photos of the car during its test session at the Vallelunga race circuit. Factory test drivers Maurizio Mediani and Jaime Melo were on hand to provide feedback on the 458 Challenge, and predictably, both seem impressed with the car's capabilities. Mediani described his drive as "very quick and extremely good fun," while his counterpart commented, "I am sure that Prancing Horse competition owners will be very pleased with the car."

Using the standard roadgoing 458 Italia as a base, Ferrari creates the Challenge version by increasing output of the 4.5-liter V8 to 570 horsepower, cutting weight via thinner and lighter body panels, adding a race-specific suspension setup, fitting 19-inch BBS wheels with Pirelli racing slicks, installing a set of carbon ceramic Brembo brakes and more.

So equipped, Ferrari claims the 458 Challenge can lap Fiorano over two seconds per lap quicker than its predecessor, the F430 Challenge, while pulling a cornea-yanking 1.6g's worth of lateral acceleration. You can check out the new photos below, and we'll be sure to bring you any more if Ferrari sends them our way.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ferra...racer/#3172460

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/31/f...sion-at-valle/
Old 08-01-10, 03:20 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man it almost seem like modern day Ferrari are created with added inefficiencies in mind that can be quickly turned into the more expensive "sports" model.

Whatever happened to making the best car it can be, and making it even better.

Thinner body panel, racing suspension, why can't the original came with that? What about the upgrades that made it impossible to put on the original?
Old 08-01-10, 03:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is why you never buy a Ferrari until the swan song. They are always going to out do themselves. When the head of Ferrari was asked what was his favorite Ferrari he said " it is always the next one"
Old 08-02-10, 01:43 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Challenge is a race car, not a street car.
Old 08-02-10, 07:17 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Man it almost seem like modern day Ferrari are created with added inefficiencies in mind that can be quickly turned into the more expensive "sports" model.

Whatever happened to making the best car it can be, and making it even better.

Thinner body panel, racing suspension, why can't the original came with that? What about the upgrades that made it impossible to put on the original?
Originally Posted by gengar
The Challenge is a race car, not a street car.

I agree with GENGAR, there are different Ferraris for different customers. Agreed that many Ferrari owners know the race history behind the car, but few want the the raw power of the Stradale, Challenge, or GTO cars. So they make the "base" car (I use that term loosely) for the average consumer, but the real hardcore enthusiats get the upgrades they want, just takes some waiting.

It is a sick car though! Wish I could!
Old 08-02-10, 07:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
...pulling a cornea-yanking 1.6g's worth of lateral acceleration...
I would love to experience that!
Old 08-02-10, 11:44 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I think the F430 Scuderia (which is a street car) is quite popular even among non-track enthusiasts. I think I read in some article a while back that quoted a dealership rep as saying that they routinely sell more Scuderia models than base models of the F430.

Of course, I do agree that there will always be demand for the base vehicles. Which reviewer was it that criticized the Scuderia for having exposed metal including welding everywhere? Similarly, I'm not going for the Nurburgring Edition of the LFA, nor did I choose any of the many "delete" options on my order.

Anyway, my point was that the 458 Challenge is not the successor to the 360 Stradale and 430 Scuderia line of vehicles. The 458 Challenge is the race car variant, the successor to the 430 Challenge and the 360 Challenge. I think some of the earlier responders were mistaking the Challenge for a street car.
Old 08-02-10, 06:48 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Anyway, my point was that the 458 Challenge is not the successor to the 360 Stradale and 430 Scuderia line of vehicles. The 458 Challenge is the race car variant, the successor to the 430 Challenge and the 360 Challenge. I think some of the earlier responders were mistaking the Challenge for a street car.

That makes sense. Kind of like making an M3 and then making an M3 Competition. An M buyer wants the competition to begin with. If he didn't he would have just bought a regular 3 series.
Old 08-02-10, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Gengar is correct here. This is for race only but usually a preview of the street special edition (Stradale, Scuderia)

Saw my first 458 in the flesh this weekend. It was low to the ground, it was very curvaceous but it really didn't make me fall in love. Blame the busy front end. I loved the way the body did sweep into the rear engine bay.

Old 08-03-10, 02:34 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Saw my first 458 in the flesh this weekend. It was low to the ground, it was very curvaceous but it really didn't make me fall in love. Blame the busy front end. I loved the way the body did sweep into the rear engine bay.
Amazingly, I saw three in one day in Zürich a few weeks ago (I'd never seen one in person before... and haven't seen one since). I will say it looks better in person than in pictures, which of course is not saying a lot since it looks rather atrocious in pictures.
Old 08-03-10, 06:24 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really don't know which Ferrari I saw last week in downtown DC. But I almost broke my neck staring at the car. All I could see is money and ask myself what am I doing wrong. I need to step my game up.