Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Alphard Left-Hand Drive Version (Made In Japan; Philippine-Spec Version Debut)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 05:31 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Blackraven Thanks for the shots. Though I have reservations at 2.6 million pesos is still pretty hefty price though, I would expect that the implementation of the JPEPA would lower the prices of imported Japanese CBU's.
Old 08-08-10, 06:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsantiago
@Blackraven Thanks for the shots. Though I have reservations at 2.6 million pesos is still pretty hefty price though, I would expect that the implementation of the JPEPA would lower the prices of imported Japanese CBU's.
AFAIK, from what they mentioned on JPEPA, the agreement only mentions that vehicles greater than 3000 cc displacement get a discount (i.e. in the form of exemptions from customs duties).

For instance, they slashed the price of the LC 200 here (the one sold my official TMP dealers) by 500k pesos........cause it has a 4.5 liter V8 diesel which means the requirement.

The Land Cruiser Prado (LC 150/J150) could've made it but it didn't. Remember it has to be greater 3000 cubic centimeters of engine size/displacement.

From what I can say though, the 3.5 V6 version (which they're eyeing for an October launch here) WILL qualify for under JPEPA rules so it will get a discount . Heck, I think they're eyeing to price under 3.0 million pesos which is a steal IMHO (for the V6 version of premium high-end vehicle like this one).

I don't know though if they will drop the price of the 2.4 liter version a bit (to help distance it from its six-cylinder sibling)........but I guess we'll just have to see it.

Nevertheless, even in 2.4 liter guise, this car really packs a punch. With that, I hope that other car manufacturers out there (operating in the country) would release their offerings as well.
Old 08-08-10, 07:06 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Nevertheless, even in 2.4 liter guise, this car really packs a punch. With that, I hope that other car manufacturers out there (operating in the country) would release their offerings as well.
With the traffic conditions of Metro Manila, the 2.4 is more than enough, I'm surprised though this van doesn't have a diesel variant, I think this van would haul if it had the 3.0L diesel from the Hilux/Fortuner variant as I love the 2.5 D4D on my Innova already
Old 08-08-10, 08:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

With the traffic conditions of Metro Manila, the 2.4 is more than enough, I'm surprised though this van doesn't have a diesel variant, I think this van would haul if it had the 3.0L diesel from the Hilux/Fortuner variant as I love the 2.5 D4D on my Innova already
We have that one as well (my dad uses an Innova G 2.5 D-4D auto) and its quite good.

I doubt the Alphard will have a diesel version........unless there is really big demand for it to warrant one (i.e. if they sell it in Europe or launch a diesel version for Japan market).

Anyways, still in its current form, I like it. As what Ewan Mcgregor said: "The Grand Suite: New Alphard Debut!" .
Old 08-08-10, 09:03 AM
LexFather

Blackraven thanks for all the info and pics.

Maybe its just me but I think its nice but I wouldn't buy it and I don't fap over everything JDM tight . Honestly give me a Ford Flex.

Old 08-08-10, 09:55 AM
lex-phil
Driver

Agreed. Alphard needs a diesel variant. Even though they're not direct competitors (Alphard being much more luxurious), the Hyundai Starex Limo will continue to eat this alive because of their diesels. Would be great to get the Fortuner's diesels engines, but i doubt that ever happens since the Alphard is JDM while Fortuner/Innova/Hilux are all IMVs.

As you say, 2.4 is enough for Metro Manila's roads. They have proven popular in Jakarta, which has even worse traffic conditions than Manila. The 3.5 would be great for highway runs out of the city though.

One more thing... those 16s, are ridiculously small! Its a common complaint in Indonesia as well, as coupled with the Alphard's high center of gravity, it is highly susceptible to rolling over! I've heard stories of it actually happening in Jakarta, and some people switching over to the Nissan Elgrand.
Old 08-08-10, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

wow, great pics and info, thanks!
Old 08-09-10, 12:41 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Perhaps if Toyota decided to build this van in ASEAN countries on in Toyota plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna instead of Japan I'm sure the price can go down maybe we might see a diesel variant. A bit of work to convince certain buyers who are pretty content with the top of the line Hiace variant already
Old 08-09-10, 07:16 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Perhaps if Toyota decided to build this van in ASEAN countries on in Toyota plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna instead of Japan I'm sure the price can go down maybe we might see a diesel variant. A bit of work to convince certain buyers who are pretty content with the top of the line Hiace variant already
Personally, I'd disagree.

The ones built in Santa Rosa are mostly mass-market vehicles (which obviously make up majority of Toyota vehicle sales in the country). Then you have the ones made in Thailand (led by our Asian Camry).

However, for premium vehicles, I'd still prefer that these be MADE IN JAPAN. Heck, the new ALPHARD serves as Toyota's flagship people-mover (a notch higher than the Previa and definitely way higher than those below it like the Innova).

It would be a disgrace if their bread-and-butter offering will not be built in the homeland.

Hence, IMHO, it only makes sense that ALPHARD will be 100% JAPAN-MADE.

Manufactured at:
Inabe Plant, Toyota Auto Body Co. Limited
Old 08-09-10, 12:23 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

BUMP:

To 1SICKLEX (the top Toyota/Lexus fan enthusiast and supporter IMHO ) and to mmarshall (our resident automotive guru, expert, analyst and reviewer)

What do you think of the new Toyota Alphard LHD version??? (the newest flagship people-mover from Toyota)

Old 08-09-10, 06:29 PM
lex-phil
Driver

However, for premium vehicles, I'd still prefer that these be MADE IN JAPAN. Heck, the new ALPHARD serves as Toyota's flagship people-mover (a notch higher than the Previa and definitely way higher than those below it like the Innova).

It would be a disgrace if their bread-and-butter offering will not be built in the homeland.

Hence, IMHO, it only makes sense that ALPHARD will be 100% JAPAN-MADE.

Manufactured at:
Inabe Plant, Toyota Auto Body Co. Limited
I agree. And there's no way Toyota will stop building the Alphard in Japan and shift it elsewhere. Its their flagship right now, above the Asian Camry and probably above the LC.
Old 08-09-10, 11:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
OMG, can they bring the damn car here!!!!!!???????
Seriously man. I'd start popping out babies just to get an excuse to buy this damn car.

My parents bought an Alphard back in 07 and paid over 200k US$ in Asia due to import tax etc. Crazy expensive mini van.
Old 08-10-10, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Seriously man. I'd start popping out babies just to get an excuse to buy this damn car.

My parents bought an Alphard back in 07 and paid over 200k US$ in Asia due to import tax etc. Crazy expensive mini van.
our baby is coming in 3 months. toyota can still make it right!
Old 09-19-10, 11:23 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Anyways
Slightly related:

Toyota Alphard Left Hand Drive Version now available in Taiwan (vehicle launching and press conference)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8CB7Aafww

Sources:
Engadget Chinese
Chinese Autoblog
Old 09-19-10, 12:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

We have that one as well (my dad uses an Innova G 2.5 D-4D auto) and its quite good.

I doubt the Alphard will have a diesel version........unless there is really big demand for it to warrant one (i.e. if they sell it in Europe or launch a diesel version for Japan market).

Anyways, still in its current form, I like it. As what Ewan Mcgregor said: "The Grand Suite: New Alphard Debut!" .
Heh, all they would need is 2.2 D4D 150hp engine, but it would be too expensive to both engineer and sell.

Quick Reply: Toyota Alphard Left-Hand Drive Version (Made In Japan; Philippine-Spec Version Debut)