Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Sonata on BBS LM's...SiCk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 01:38 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

The deal is off!!! Again!!!

Christ brother... my life's story the last 21 months!!!!
Old 08-04-10, 02:42 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddis es
majority of this board modify their car to make it stand out, or personalize it to their standard. do you say the same about any modified vehicle or just to this segment alone?
Why would you ever spend 1/3 of the price of the car (an entry level one at that) just on the wheels?

Besides it looking terrible, the price invested is ridiculous. Why not just upgrade to a better/nicer/different class of car???

Originally Posted by Benwilliam
Agreed, but in my opinion all "rice" modding of Asian cars is ridiculous and ugly.
Old 08-04-10, 03:15 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

thats nothing new, people spend 4000 dollars on a 8000 dollar car! no big deal!

but the sonata seems to have very strong following in korea, just look at some of these pics from korea at sonata meets! it's pretty strong.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Why would you ever spend 1/3 of the price of the car (an entry level one at that) just on the wheels?

Besides it looking terrible, the price invested is ridiculous. Why not just upgrade to a better/nicer/different class of car???

Old 08-04-10, 03:35 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

the same can be said about someone putting HRE's on an IS350 or C350...your point is? and I dont think it's 1/3 the price...that's a big stretch

besides, people mod their cars because they can and do so beucase they want to. whatever options they/you/me choose is personal preference, so long as they can afford it...who are we to quarrel with them, especially if it's done tastefully. which IMO, this sonata was
Old 08-04-10, 04:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting old. I just don't like modified cars anymore, and this one is a prime example why I don't like modified cars.

There's nothing sporty about a Sonata or VIPish about it. It's no M3 and no LS460. Just leave it alone and the car looks great in a stock form already.
Old 08-04-10, 05:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I am getting old. I just don't like modified cars anymore, and this one is a prime example why I don't like modified cars.

There's nothing sporty about a Sonata or VIPish about it. It's no M3 and no LS460. Just leave it alone and the car looks great in a stock form already.
i'm the complete opposite of you i suppose. the older i get, the more i want to modify cars (my income allows for it). it's the one luxury where i get to express my creativity.

the whole point of modifying one's car is to not be the same as all the other cars on the road. it is freedom of expression. and that's good (even if the cars look horrible) because who wants to see thousands upon thousands of stock (and bland) cars everywhere you turn your head? at the very least, a horribly modded car provides amusement ("it's ugly, it's ricey", etc); a well modified car will get people saying "it's sick".
Old 08-04-10, 05:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Amusing car to look at, but really can't be driven properly at that ride height. I'm not a big fan of stepped lip wheels.
Old 08-04-10, 05:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the same can be said about someone putting HRE's on an IS350 or C350...your point is? and I dont think it's 1/3 the price...that's a big stretch

besides, people mod their cars because they can and do so beucase they want to. whatever options they/you/me choose is personal preference, so long as they can afford it...who are we to quarrel with them, especially if it's done tastefully. which IMO, this sonata was
I don't see anything tasteful about this Sonata. Huge, ugly oversized rims, stretched tires, slammed suspension, and ugly applied body parts.

There's no way this car can be driven properly or safely, its a hazard to other drivers on the road. Hit a decent size pothole, and it's stretched out tire will pop, or a ball joint will break because there's no travel in the suspension. If that happens on a highway, its a guaranteed accident.
Old 08-04-10, 06:12 PM
LexFather

Guys knock off the personal comments and forum blanket statements or this will be another Hyundai thread locked.

This is a Lexus forum. So if you love Hyundai, it might be slightly mature to expect some people not to be as enthralled with the brand as you are. Don't ignore all the positive comments being made here to only focus on negative ones.

Lets also not beat a dead horse if you don't like it.

Thanks

Old 08-04-10, 08:58 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I don't see anything tasteful about this Sonata. Huge, ugly oversized rims, stretched tires, slammed suspension, and ugly applied body parts.
to each, his own...everything you mentioned is what makes me like this vehicle even more

There's no way this car can be driven properly or safely, its a hazard to other drivers on the road. Hit a decent size pothole, and it's stretched out tire will pop, or a ball joint will break because there's no travel in the suspension. If that happens on a highway, its a guaranteed accident.
any descent sized pothole can cause everything you just mentioned to a non-modified vehicle...so saying a lowered car will be more prone to failure because of the pothole is kind of a stretch

besides, if driving a lowered car was increasingly hazardous...there would be more strict regulations against them and on manufacturers as well for making production vehicles low (porsche, m3, Ferrari, etc.). when a car is lowered the right way, it is probably less hazardous due to the increased handling you obtain from it.

this Sonata on BBS LM's = FTW!!! lol...

Last edited by baddis es; 08-04-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 06:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

any descent sized pothole can cause everything you just mentioned to a non-modified vehicle...so saying a lowered car will be more prone to failure because of the pothole is kind of a stretch
Sorry, but you're wrong. Stretched out low profile tires are far more prone to blow out on impact. Supension parts are a lot more likely to break on impact when they are at the limit of their travel range.

besides, if driving a lowered car was increasingly hazardous...there would be more strict regulations against them and on manufacturers as well for making production vehicles low (porsche, m3, Ferrari, etc.).
First of all there are states that do not allow suspensions mods, so that goes for strict regulation. As far as manufacturers making cars that are low, they actually engineer the suspension like that. There's quite a bit for difference between a properly engineered low suspension and suspension that is simply slamed with springs/coilovers with no regard for anything else.

when a car is lowered the right way, it is probably less hazardous due to the increased handling you obtain from it.
It is not lowered the right way, theres no such thing as being lowered the right way. The suspension geometry and travel is all out of whack, and handling is actually hurt, not improved.
Old 08-05-10, 08:31 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

BBS LMs ugly wheels? Blasphemy.
Old 08-05-10, 09:08 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but you're wrong. Stretched out low profile tires are far more prone to blow out on impact. Supension parts are a lot more likely to break on impact when they are at the limit of their travel range.
I’ll give in to this and retract my statement that low profiles cant me more hazardous. rims are definitely more easier to bend due to lower profiled tires…but there are benefits, plenty of which I rather, to the lower profile tires. you get a lot more response due to it’s shorter sidewall and a lot more feedback to the steering wheel. I’d give up the soft cushiony ride for a better reaction time from my vehicle any day.

maybe when I become older, this may change…thankfully, Lexus along with some great aftermarket companies helps keep a great balance between the two.

First of all there are states that do not allow suspensions mods, so that goes for strict regulation. As far as manufacturers making cars that are low, they actually engineer the suspension like that. There's quite a bit for difference between a properly engineered low suspension and suspension that is simply slamed with springs/coilovers with no regard for anything else.
which states are you referring?

as far as I’m aware, there is no ban on lowering your vehicle…only on the amount it can be lowered. same goes for lifting, you can lift the vehicle to a certain height.

It is not lowered the right way, theres no such thing as being lowered the right way. The suspension geometry and travel is all out of whack, and handling is actually hurt, not improved.
a vehicle can be lowered properly…when I used to track my Integra back in the day, there was no way I could of pulled times I had without a modified suspension.

my susp mods were lowering springs, shocks, camber correction, sways, bushings and strut bars (IIRC)…these modifications IMPROVED my times by far, along with lower profile tires on my 15” wheels.

vehicles come set with a certain suspension for it’s given ride height…sure I’d agree with that. it’s produced to be sold that way, but that’s not to say the handling can’t be enhanced.

when you properly lower a vehicle with certain parts, whatever you gave up in ride height is offset by the upgraded performance parts to help cope with the change.

I drove many vehicles daily (years at times) without any complaints from my suspension, after making the proper mods to them…handling was never hurt, as you claim
Old 08-05-10, 04:37 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Reminds me of this,

Old 08-05-10, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ sorry, not seeing the similarity...

Quick Reply: New Sonata on BBS LM's...SiCk!!!