Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suzuki Struggling

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Default Suzuki Struggling

Well MMarhsall, myself and others have said this for years now...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308029971/1018

Suzuki will give Kizashi flagship a sporty look

Ryan Beene

Automotive News -- August 2, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

Suzuki's Kizashi sedan will get a face-lift this fall that includes a new front fascia and interior upgrade.

Also, the suspension of the struggling brand's flagship sedan has been lowered 10 millimeters to allow for sportier driving.

The changes apply to the GLS and SLS versions of the Kizashi. They will not be available on the SE base model, which will be unchanged from the 2010 model year.

The Kizashi's top trim levels will be renamed Sport SLS and Sport GLS, spokesman Jeff Holland says.

A hybrid powertrain and a V-6 engine using borrowed technology from General Motors were scheduled to be introduced as Kizashi options in 2011 or 2012, but those plans were canceled this year. GM sold its 20 percent stake in Suzuki in 2008.

Also vanishing as a result of the sale of GM's stake is the V-6 engine that powers the Grand Vitara SUV. The 2011 Grand Vitara's only engine will be a 2.4-liter four-cylinder producing 166 hp and 162 pounds-feet of torque.

Meanwhile, Suzuki says it will shave more than $1,000 from the sticker price of its 2011 SX4 Sportback, a five-door compact. The 2011 Sportback will start in the mid-$16,000 range, with pricing to be announced this fall. That's down from $17,999 plus shipping for the 2010 model.

The Sportback is also getting a new 150-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to either a six-speed manual or continuously variable transmission.

Suzuki's sales plunged 49 percent in the first half of the year to 11,549 vehicles. That followed a 54 percent drop for all of 2009.

Old 08-03-10, 09:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

you don't say???

I never understood suzuki. There's nothing in their line-up that I find interesting-worst was their vehicross
Old 08-03-10, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Meanwhile, Suzuki says it will shave more than $1,000 from the sticker price of its 2011 SX4 Sportback, a five-door compact. The 2011 Sportback will start in the mid-$16,000 range, with pricing to be announced this fall. That's down from $17,999 plus shipping for the 2010 model.
That will make it even more of a bargain. It's already, along wth the Subaru Impreza, one of the cheapest AWD vehicles available in America.
Old 08-03-10, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
you don't say???

I never understood suzuki. There's nothing in their line-up that I find interesting-worst was their vehicross
Wrong company, friend.....the Vehicross was an Isuzu product.
Old 08-03-10, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well MMarshall, myself and others have said this for years now...
Suzuki's main problem is actually not their products, but the lack of U.S. auto dealerships. Yes, that's what I've been saying for some time now.
Old 08-03-10, 10:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Yup, you can't sell cars without dealerships. I live right by Suzuki's Southern California HQ and the nearest dealer is at least 15 miles away.
Old 08-03-10, 10:24 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wrong company, friend.....the Vehicross was an Isuzu product.
Thank you Mmarshall.
I was too hasty-I'm thinking that's the next company to join suzuki
Old 08-03-10, 10:31 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suzuki's main problem is actually not their products, but the lack of U.S. auto dealerships. Yes, that's what I've been saying for some time now.
I think they are in the middle of a fatal death spiral. I know where the Land Rover, Mitsu, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Lotus dealers are in my area. But I have no idea where any Suzuki dealers are. With no visibility to their products and no where to service them, fewer people will buy them. When fewer people buy them, the dealerships eventually close. And the vicious cycle continues.
Old 08-03-10, 11:20 PM
LexFather

I honestly didn't know either, had to look it up (where Suzuki dealers are)

Old 08-04-10, 01:11 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

suzuki only has nice motorcycles going for them. the suzuki hayabusa.

one of the suzuki dealerships in the vancouver area is closing down.
Old 08-04-10, 06:33 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two Suzuki dealers here and they have a ton of used luxury cars on their lots vs new Suzukis.
Old 08-04-10, 08:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only one truly viable/competive model in the US Suzuki product line doesn't help. I only know of one dealership in San Jose, CA.
Old 08-04-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Only one truly viable/competive model in the US Suzuki product line doesn't help.
I assume you're referring to the Kizashi? That car, of course, got some hype in the auto press....much of it, IMO, deserved.

But that doesn't mean that the rest of the Suzuki line is necessarily second-rate. I do agree that they are presently uncompetitive, but that is not necessarily because of the product........it's simply because few people are going to the very spare dealer-network to actually look at them. The AWD SX-4, for example, undercuts the AWD Subaru Impreza in price, and, unlike the Impreza, offers a 3-position FWD/AWD/AWD Lock switch. And the Vitara, unlike most of its Cute-Ute competition, offers a more-rugged frame for true off-roading.

I only know of one dealership in San Jose, CA.
Have you gone there to see any of its products first-hand?

I do agree, though, that, in the past, part of it was Suzuki's fault. The rather mediocre Esteem, years ago, did not compete well against Corollas and Civics because its road manners (I test-drove one) couldn't compare, though it had a good price. The Swift, also rebadged as the Chevy/Geo Metro, was super-economical, but its structure was flimsy/lightweight and, in a crash, it was a rolling coffin. The Samurai was crude and a joke.....a rollover just waiting to happen. The Sidekick/Tracker was only a moderate improvement over the Samurai. Earlier Vitaras were rugged off-road, but had an overly-bouncy ride like a Jeep Wrangler (that has been tamed in the latest versions). And, for a while, in the years between the Esteem and the new Kizashi, Suzuki neglected the design of its own American market sedans/couple, using Korean-Daewoo designs like the Verona, Forenza, and Reno instead. Even the bargain SX-4 is a joint Suzuki-Fiat design. But that, of course, is the Suzuki of the past, not the present.
Old 08-04-10, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I assume you're referring to the Kizashi? That car, of course, got some hype in the auto press....much of it, IMO, deserved.

Have you gone there to see any of its products first-hand?

Yes, I am referring to the Kizashi as the only competitive offering. The SX-4 is too ugly and too slow to sell well, therefore it sells poorly. As I said, only one competitive product in product line, sadly. See the CAR SALES thread for updates on Suzuki US sales, with Kizashi as the only bright spot, despite dealer network.

Yes, I've seen the products first hand at car shows and at the SJ dealership, snoozers except for Kizashi.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-04-10 at 01:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-04-10, 10:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

In our side of the fence, the Swift is doing quite well. Celerio seems to be holding against the Hyundai i10 in the budget car category. Grand Vitara is quite strong too

Then when they brought the SX-4 Aero (the sedan version), a lot of my countrymen thought it was boring and ugly-***. I thought that it looked okay but yeah, most people I know thought otherwise.

Then just a few weeks ago, the crossover hatchback version was launched here which caused excitement for local Suzuki fans until........it was revealed that our version only comes in 1.6 liter engine and FWD with 4-speed auto.

I do hope though that we get a CVT gearbox with paddle shift when the facelift version gets released here.

Quick Reply: Suzuki Struggling