Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 3SC Rumor/Gypsies/Witchcraft/Guesses/Facts/Goats/thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10 | 01:17 PM
LexFather

Arrow Official 3SC Rumor/Gypsies/Witchcraft/Guesses/Facts/Goats/thread

Alright in this thread we will chat about the next SC, the 3SC which will likely debut in 2012 as a 2013 model.

Okay....well we know that Lexus will have the SC sit out a year before the new one debuts again, like they did with the 1SC to 2SC.

I am hearing rumors that Lexus wants a piece of the 4 door coupe pie and that there is a chance the next SC maybe offered as a 2 door and 4 door. Think Benz CL and CLS competitor. Thanks MP.

Also strong rumors of it having a hybrid powertrain as an option or maybe even standard. Lexus will continue to lead with hybrids and the next generation of Lexus hybrid tech is around the corner, expect a significant break through for them to get more MPG.

Now what is confusing is I also am hearing that a sub LFA type car may come in the 100-150kso range using some of the tech form the LFA. No idea on engines or anything yet. Will this be a version of the SC (SC F) or an entirely new car?
Old 08-03-10 | 01:25 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

It'd be interesting to have the 3SC possibly compete with the CL/CLS. An SC-F would also be really nice too to compete against MB's AMG. But what is truly the SC's competitor? I always thought it was against the SL, even though it was severely underpowered compared to it.
Old 08-03-10 | 01:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

The only thing I heard was that it's gonna be released as a MY2013 model.

My interpretation: Lexus will sell all LFA in 2012/2013, then trickle design cues from it to the MY2013 3SC.

As far as engine choices, I doubt that Lexus will use any current engines. Perhaps something new will be made; the V8 engines (both the 4.6L 1UR-FSE and 5.0L 2UR-GSE) will be "obsolete" by 2013. I see the possibility of reviving an available V6, and creating an F-Sport V10 (or turbo V8, or V8+hybrid?).

Body style? The 3IS will have a hardtop convertible V6 and V8 F-Sport. I would rather have the 3SC go with a fixed coupe version (like the 1SC generation), and have a softtop option similar to the Jaguar XK or BMW 6-Series. Keep it light and svelte, rather than bloating it once more and losing its performance capacity.
Old 08-03-10 | 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

please, no softtop. it won't even meet lexus simplest "requirement" on noise insulation. and i still think it's a stupid idea when the entry level has a hard top. talking about weight saving in convertible is kind of moot point, plus soft top doesn't save much. looking at the e46 m3, coupe 3415lb vs convertible 3781lb (366lb difference). e92 3704lb vs e93 4145lb (441lb difference), that's not even 80lb difference. most of the weight goes into the structure, not the top/motor.

back to the car itself. i hope it's going to be mainly coupe, with another convertible version (design it from beginning, not like the isc awkward shape). i still think it's probably around 80-100k mark, and my hope (or the least bit of info i heard) is they have a 150k car, not necessarily sc related, that uses more of the lfa technologies
Old 08-03-10 | 02:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by rominl
please, no softtop. it won't even meet lexus simplest "requirement" on noise insulation.
But if engineered to be sportier, wouldn't engine noise and exhaust note be welcomed? It does for the LF-A.

I think the 3SC should break away from the stodgy persona of the 2SC. It should be aggressive like the IS-F.
Old 08-03-10 | 02:38 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

3SC... should be more on the line of the 1SC. A proper 2+2.

Drop in a IS-F engine and call it a day

OT: I just hope in the next decade Lexus comes out with an MB SLK / Audi TT / Porsche Cayman competitor
Old 08-03-10 | 02:48 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

wow a strong mercedes CLS competitor that's japanese reliable and 30mpg fuel efficient would be so nice but i don't know how they going to up it, the CLS is just absolutely wicked.
Old 08-03-10 | 02:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
OT: I just hope in the next decade Lexus comes out with an MB SLK / Audi TT / Porsche Cayman competitor
I'd like to see Lexus release a mainstream 2-seater as well, whether in the entry level or GT category. I'd also like them to introduce a coupe variant, not just hardtop convertible.
Old 08-03-10 | 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
But if engineered to be sportier, wouldn't engine noise and exhaust note be welcomed? It does for the LF-A.

I think the 3SC should break away from the stodgy persona of the 2SC. It should be aggressive like the IS-F.
with soft top, what you get more is called wind noise, not exhaust and engine sound. isf and lfa, those are exhaust and engine. having been in a few soft top, the big problem is it has too much unwantd noise when driving
Old 08-03-10 | 04:00 PM
GS3Tek

Great thread. Been meaning to do a "what do you want for the next SC" thread.

1. I would like it less pudgy so this CL/CLS is sounding sweet so far
2. Semi usable back seat that can fit a human with 2 legs, not amputees
3. Hard top convert or fixed top

Originally Posted by rominl
please, no softtop. it won't even meet lexus simplest "requirement" on noise insulation. and i still think it's a stupid idea when the entry level has a hard top. talking about weight saving in convertible is kind of moot point, plus soft top doesn't save much. looking at the e46 m3, coupe 3415lb vs convertible 3781lb (366lb difference). e92 3704lb vs e93 4145lb (441lb difference), that's not even 80lb difference. most of the weight goes into the structure, not the top/motor.

back to the car itself. i hope it's going to be mainly coupe, with another convertible version (design it from beginning, not like the isc awkward shape). i still think it's probably around 80-100k mark, and my hope (or the least bit of info i heard) is they have a 150k car, not necessarily sc related, that uses more of the lfa technologies
I totally agree Henry.

For the love of car god, please, NO SOFT TOP convertible. Again, this is why I hate the jag xk/6 series.
Old 08-03-10 | 04:37 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I'm thinking this all takes place because of a rumored new supra. If it's not the sc, then it's the new 150K car sicklex is hearing of. It could be true if they share chassis'. Anyone agree? The ft-86 wont share a chassis its been said, so to keep costs of construction lower, why not share the new SC platform with a Supra? Make the supra lower cost, sc higher more luxurious. Corvette/XLR anyone?
Old 08-03-10 | 04:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting rumors. I think Lexus next-gen hybrid tech will use li-ion batteries. Toyota is supposed to have its 1st hybrid using li-ion batteries next year.
Old 08-03-10 | 05:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

If Lexus wants to make a real statement, there will be a hybrid and F marque'd SC. You don't want that? I do, if Lexus makes it.
Old 08-03-10 | 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i think somewhat in line with the 4gs is the v8. 3gs already has a lot of rumor saying that there will be no v8 but instead hybrid (to compete with e550 and 550i). of course, i am not talking about the f version (gsf), just the normal v8).

personally i still don't think it's a good move, not one that will be easily received by most people. but if that's the case, then i think the same concept will land on the 3sc as well.
Old 08-03-10 | 05:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I can see an SC-F going for $150K...now as for the regular SC, probably above the LS base pricing like how the SC 430 was vs. LS 430.

Now as for what form or powerplants, who knows. But from history, we see that the SC line is the exception which proves the rule (Lexus models tend to build on the prior generation). The 2SC was a big departure in design and configuration from the 1SC.

Now what have we heard? C&D rumors of softtop, MT rumors of hybrid 600h, recent rumors of V6 hybrid. Hardtop, softtop, regular coupe, 4 door coupe, they're all over the place. One thing that has been repeated, that there will be a gap between 2SC and 3SC. 2013 seems to be the earliest model year. Maybe because the SC is a niche model, it has to wait this time for the model cycle to start over. As for hybrid? Sort of like the 4GS V6-hybrid/no V8 rumors. Given that the SC is a flagship product, I'm inclined to think it will share the V8 with the LS as before; 4GS not so sure. However at the same time there were all these LFA reports claiming hybrid powerplant, and it turned out that the chief engineer said hybrid was not even considered. However for next SC it's more possible IMO.

The prior SC 430 was however a Lexus benchmark next to the LS 430 for quality and reliability. There's a lot of potential here for Lexus to make a statement again, like how the 1SC 'The Lexus Coupe' and 2SC 'Jewel of Lexus' did.

Quick Reply: Official 3SC Rumor/Gypsies/Witchcraft/Guesses/Facts/Goats/thread