Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW releases Japan-only 120i Performance Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 08:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW releases Japan-only 120i Performance Unlimited

BMW releases Japan-only 120i Performance Unlimited

Typically, JDM-only models are made by Japanese automakers. Someone apparently forgot to tell BMW, however, as the German automaker has just launched the third in a recent line of Nippon-specific special editions.

Following in the footsteps of the X6 Performance Unlimited and the Mini Savile Row comes the new 120i Performance Unlimited. The special 1-Series comes equipped with the 170-horsepower 2.0-liter four with a six-speed automatic and a variety of M-Sport components, from bumper caps and and a blacked-out grille to a set of 18-inch split-five-spoke alloys and carbon fiber spoiler and mirror housings.

The cabin is similarly decked out in M-Sport extras, like sport seats, leather-covered steering wheel and shift lever and aluminum pedals. Exterior colors are limited to blue or white, and only 30 examples will be built. If you want to get your hands on one, first of all, you'll have to relocate to Japan and then stand in line with ¥4,350,000 (about $50,300).

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/03/b...nce-unlimited/
Old 08-03-10, 08:16 PM
LexFather

120+ Performance Unlimited=

Old 08-03-10, 08:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

No manny tranny for the "performance/engaging" BMW lol
Old 08-03-10, 10:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
120+ Performance Unlimited=
Performance Unlimited indeed. I think something was lost in translation, and what it really means is that it takes an unlimited amount of time to get any performance out of that car .
Old 08-03-10, 10:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Performance Unlimited indeed. I think something was lost in translation, and what it really means is that it takes an unlimited amount of time to get any performance out of that car .
Well 80% of owners do think their 1 series is FWD

Old 08-04-10, 05:38 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

This car has obviously been adapted for the Japanese market.

When I was in Tokyo and Osaka a few years ago, I noticed that automatic transmissions are very popular over there in a number of automobiles, including the smaller Kei cars. Given the dense traffic in those cities (and other Japanese cities), an automatic makes sense - even on a supposed performance model.

I suspect that most of the 120i performance models will be sold to individuals in the city who want something "sporty" but don't want to give up the convenience and comfort of a daily driver, hence the automatic. I wanted an automatic in my BMW 118d for exactly those reasons.

Also, there's nothing wrong with performance / sporty cars equipped with an automatic transmission. As far as I know, BMW doesn't even sell manual transmission cars in markets like South Korea.
Old 08-04-10, 08:41 AM
LexFather

^^ Got it. So BMW can sell "Performance Unlimited" tiny 4 cylinder automatic cars and its okay.

Heaven forbid that Lexus made a 4 cylinder "Performance Unlimited" HS. The internetz would go nuts

Old 08-04-10, 09:02 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

^^ Got it. So BMW can sell "Performance Unlimited" tiny 4 cylinder automatic cars and its okay.

Heaven forbid that Lexus made a 4 cylinder "Performance Unlimited" HS. The internetz would go nuts
Many of BMW's most famous performance cars in the past have been powered by - guess what? Four cylinder engines - a fact that seems to elude even most hardcore "BMW enthusiasts". For many Asian markets with engine capacity taxes, a 120i makes a lot of sense as a supposed performance model.

As far as I know, the current HS isn't a performance car. Lexus is welcome to create a performance version of the HS if they feel there's a market for it out there.
Old 08-04-10, 04:13 PM
josephlee
Driver

¥4,350,000 (about $50,300) for a Sh itty Packaged 120i?
Damn, someone have to really LOVE BMW for buying one
Old 08-04-10, 04:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
¥4,350,000 (about $50,300) for a Sh itty Packaged 120i?
Damn, someone have to really LOVE BMW for buying one
50k USD for a BMW in Japan is a steal.
Old 08-04-10, 04:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They shouldn't go nuts. I think way back when I was all for a 4 cylinder IS or something. Nothing wrong with it as long as it moves the car sufficiently. I think 170 HP in a 1 series could be a good thing. Personally, I think the 135i engine is kind of overkill in that car. If that 170HP 4 cylinder engine is lighter than the i6 it cold make for a real nice balanced car. You figure 170HP is about as much as the early E46 BMW had in the 323/325.

The only thing I laugh at is their choice of using the word "Unlimited". The 1 series has started to grow on my. I've seen a lot of them around lately and its not a bad looking car especially compared to a lot of cars around that size that are out lately.
Old 08-04-10, 06:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
They shouldn't go nuts. I think way back when I was all for a 4 cylinder IS or something. Nothing wrong with it as long as it moves the car sufficiently. I think 170 HP in a 1 series could be a good thing. Personally, I think the 135i engine is kind of overkill in that car. If that 170HP 4 cylinder engine is lighter than the i6 it cold make for a real nice balanced car. You figure 170HP is about as much as the early E46 BMW had in the 323/325.

The only thing I laugh at is their choice of using the word "Unlimited". The 1 series has started to grow on my. I've seen a lot of them around lately and its not a bad looking car especially compared to a lot of cars around that size that are out lately.
As good as the S2000 is you don't think "unlimited performance". The Lotus Elise maybe as a track day 4 cylinder. Mind you I like the 135, now that with a chip is more "unlimited performance" for.

I am just tripping on the name

Originally Posted by DustinV
Many of BMW's most famous performance cars in the past have been powered by - guess what? Four cylinder engines - a fact that seems to elude even most hardcore "BMW enthusiasts". For many Asian markets with engine capacity taxes, a 120i makes a lot of sense as a supposed performance model.

As far as I know, the current HS isn't a performance car. Lexus is welcome to create a performance version of the HS if they feel there's a market for it out there.
Yeah except 80% of 1 series owners think their cars are FWD Heaven only knows about the other cars.

I just think the auto/engine/name configuration is posing really badly.

Old 08-05-10, 02:58 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Yeah except 80% of 1 series owners think their cars are FWD Heaven only knows about the other cars.
The 1 series is RWD?
Old 08-05-10, 03:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The 1 series is RWD?
What? You didn't know it was a RWD car with a V6?
Old 08-05-10, 08:16 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
What? You didn't know it was a RWD car with a V6?
Gotcha!

I guess I am one of the few 1 series owners who knows which wheels are powered by the engine.

Quick Reply: BMW releases Japan-only 120i Performance Unlimited