Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How A Good Samaritan Was Arrested For Driving Drunks Home

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 02:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default How A Good Samaritan Was Arrested For Driving Drunks Home

http://jalopnik.com/5604559/how-one-...yline=true&s=i

Jonathon Schoenakase of Quincy, Illinois was arrested last Saturday outside a local bar. His crime? Operating "Courtesy Rides" — a service offering free rides to bar-goers to prevent drunk driving. The reason? Taxi companies lobbied to make it illegal.

Schoenakase began operating Courtesy Rides on January 31, 2008 following a decision to do something about drunk driving after one of his friends was killed by a drunk driver. The service offers free rides to anyone who's been out drinking and needs a ride home, donations are accepted, but it's free to all. It was such a success Jonathan added a second car to the effort in 2009, then a bus, and that's when Diamond Cab service took notice.

They complained to the city that Schoenakase was operating a de facto taxi service without a proper license, but in reality they were mad he was cutting into their profits by offering for free what the Diamond was charging for. Amusingly, he was probably hitting a different demographic, cheapskates who don't want to pay for taxis but want to get home so they drink and drive, but that's beside the point. The cab company complained loud enough that the Quincy City Council changed its taxi and limousine ordinance to remove the words "for hire" from its definitions and thus eliminate the loophole Schoenakase was operating under. Following the change, Jonathan applied for a license and the Chief of Police was supposedly about to approve it, but withdrew and said Schoenakase needed to clear up some legal issues.

Since then Schoenakase has continued operating Courtesy Rides and has been arrested twice now during sting operations, once in February and then again just last Saturday.

We understand the police are just following the law, but this entire situation stinks like a three-days-worn t-shirt off a drunk's back. A guy goes out of his way to reduce drunk driving in his town, an effort he's doing to honor his dead friend, and the city shuts him down at the behest of a taxi company. Real nice work there. If nothing else how about just give the guy his $10 license and be done with all this pointless nonsense
Attached Thumbnails How A Good Samaritan Was Arrested For Driving Drunks Home-500x_courtesy-rides02a1-1024x523.jpg  
Old 08-04-10, 02:28 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's ridiculous. The city council bent over for a local company instead of standing up for what is right. The guy should be given his business license, end of story.
Old 08-04-10, 02:33 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow another government fail. Unbelievable.
Old 08-04-10, 02:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If no money exchanged hands, then no taxi business existed. He needs a top notch lawyer to do some pro bono work for him. A c/s police chief too.
Old 08-04-10, 03:00 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

amazing that this crap happens... jeez :\ You would think half the town would come out and support this guy and help his cause. What about the media? top politicians looking for reelection...
Old 08-04-10, 03:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Restaurants should sue food banks for giving away free food.

Homeless people got it too good...
Old 08-04-10, 03:25 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

wow
likewise, doctors should be careful when donating their charity work

Originally Posted by MrMut
amazing that this crap happens... jeez :\ You would think half the town would come out and support this guy and help his cause. What about the media? top politicians looking for reelection...
they're busy with the oil spill, lindsay lohan, and toyota
Old 08-04-10, 03:39 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrested but no charges were able to stick I am sure...
Old 08-04-10, 04:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

so the moral of the story? don't be a good person, cause someone somewhere is gonna find a way to stop you! seriously, what is wrong with people today? helping people should be the norm, not the exception!
Old 08-04-10, 04:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
so the moral of the story? don't be a good person, cause someone somewhere is gonna find a way to stop you! seriously, what is wrong with people today? helping people should be the norm, not the exception!
He should advertise on his van "Drive Drunk and kill yourself and others because your government wont let me drive you home safely" Then see what the local government does.
Old 08-04-10, 04:54 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
He should advertise on his van "Drive Drunk and kill yourself and others because your government wont let me drive you home safely" Then see what the local government does.
i like where youre going with this
Old 08-04-10, 04:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

actually, that's not a bad idea. it just might galvanize the locals to do something about it!
Old 08-04-10, 05:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im sure he can rally up the bar goers...pretty ridiculous that he got arrested..
Old 08-04-10, 05:57 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that idea! We should contact this guy and throw some ideas at him!!

This is absolutely ludicrous. Hopefully a court lawyer will see this on the news and offer to help him.
Old 08-04-10, 08:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This story is disturbing to say the least. I am surprised CNN hasnt run this story. I am sure that would get him out of trouble really quick

Quick Reply: How A Good Samaritan Was Arrested For Driving Drunks Home