Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How the British Pay Homage to 50's America: Chevrolet Spark woody

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 01:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Default How the British Pay Homage to 50's America: Chevrolet Spark woody

How the British Pay Homage to 50's America: Chevrolet Spark woody

At some point in history, the notion of having a wood-lined automobile went from the pinnacle of awesome to the depths of loathsome. We're guessing that demarcation falls at about the same point in time when automakers stopped using real wood and started gluing vinyl recreations to the sides of vehicles that were an affront to cool to begin with. If you need proof, please direct your attention to any number of woody Chrysler PT Cruiser models or, if you're of stouter stomach, the self-proclaimed Chevrolet Spark Woody Wagon art car pictured above.

Chevrolet UK decided to wrap one of the company's diminutive people movers in wood-grained Di-Nocto harken back to the company's American, youthful roots – or at least that's what the press release says. If that's not enough to send your head spinning, take a good close look at those tires. Yup, they're wide whitewalls.

The company has rolled out a few different one-off art Sparks so far, and plans to keep it up with a new British Touring Car Championship inspired version set for an unveil later this month. We're guessing that one will strike our fancy a bit more than the trans-generational pastiche above. Hit the jump for the press release and make sure to check out the large high-res gallery below – but perhaps you'll want to pop a few Tums first.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevr...t-car/#3237618

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/05/h...et-spark-wood/
Old 08-05-10, 01:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Horrible fail.

Further proof the Brits hate us...
Old 08-05-10, 01:20 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...really, this is the homage...I agree Phil, they do hate us!
Old 08-05-10, 01:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Brits secretly hate all of their colonies that fought for independence.

I think we're the only one along with India....but India owns half their automobile industry now...
Old 08-05-10, 02:42 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are going to do a woody, you need to start with real wood, fine woodworking skills, and end with a top grade of marine varnish. Sadly, these vinyl appliqués are obvious fakes, and look worse with every passing year. I had a set on my '75 International Travelall, where they were a mandatory option on the high-end models. The moment I tried to remove it, I was in trouble. It was stuck tight, and could only be removed by sandblasting. After a couple of years, I couldn't stand the deli-mustard color any longer and determined to repaint it to match the hull of my boat, for which it served as tow vehicle. Lincoln's "Wimbledon White" was a close match, but the "flat walnut" of the flanks had to stay.

I kept that wagon for four years, and while the vinyl siding never changed, the sheet metal dissolved into rust almost before my eyes. I had the lower 7" of the bodywork torched off and replaced every other year (a problem, I would learn, endemic to the marque), but the vinyl-covered areas that looked like they were covered in a poor grade of brown shelf paper, soldiered on. It was ugly, but after five years it was the only part of the bodywork that had hung together.