Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 03:04 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
good post. Club Lexus members need to realize that we all have opinions and knowledge and that some members opinions dont need to be shoved down others throats. I have been saying this "again" and "again", but ...............
Ok, so please tell me what driver involvement means on 5000lb cars? On a LUXURY car that meant to give the passengers a comfortable ride as much as the driver.

Oh , thats right, I forgot I was going to take mine to the track and see what it could do. Anyone know the time the LS does around the ring compared to S63? B/c my next car will be based on which one is faster around the ring.
Old 08-07-10, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
good post. Club Lexus members need to realize that we all have opinions and knowledge and that some members opinions dont need to be shoved down others throats. I have been saying this "again" and "again", but ...............
There is a legitimate difference of opinion like "I prefer the S-class to the LS because of its prestige" versus flaming and ridiculous opinions like "the LS is a horrible car and not in its right class".

You need to stop saying "Clublexus members" like its the entire forum. Not to mention you maybe need to realize something;

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt

Last edited by LexFather; 08-07-10 at 10:56 PM.

Old 08-07-10, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

They need to stop their obsession with becoming a Lexus or BMW and obsess with THEMSELVES. Buick and Caddy are abandoning huge markets (Town Car/DTS) and need to satisfy those customers.

There is a BOOMING AGING MARKET!!!

To add insult to injury we recently found out the average age of a CTS buyer is nearly as old as a LS buyer. I said it many times these new Caddy's are aimed for the young but bought by the old.
Mike is totally right on this. The deliberate abandonment of the traditional big, soft-riding American luxury-car market by Buick, Cadillac, and Lincoln is nothing short of ludicrous. The Lincoln MKS flagship, at least has an AWD option, which was needed, but still, its ride is a long way from the Town Car's.
Ditto the new LaCrosse, with its AWD option as well...that is an improvement, but Buick, unfortunately, seems intent on dropping the Lucerne that provided a more-or-less true flagship.

I'll withold more comment on the new Park Avenue until I see it for myself, but, from the looks of the picture, it doesn't seem to be the size of the old Park Avenue (or the present Lucerne) by any means.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-10 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Ok, so please tell me what driver involvement means on 5000lb cars? On a LUXURY car that meant to give the passengers a comfortable ride as much as the driver.
Dave also makes a good point. A true luxury car, as I see it, places a soft, comfortable ride, soft seat cushions, plush trim, and a plush interior above all else. That is different from a sport-sedan/performance-car, which is meant for responsive feedback to the driver's inputs. Trying to combine the two, IMO, is like mixing apples and oranges, although some BMW, Mercedes, and Audi models have admittedly done a generally good job of it by good chassis engineering and variable-damping suspensions. Among those three makes, though, the non-AMG Mercedes S-Class is probably the best example of true luxury-car engineering, with superb ride comfort......Consumer Reports calls it the best ride they have found on a mass-production car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 11:35 PM
RoyAlder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it could work. As a long, long time Lexus owner, IMO, some of todays Lexus models do not hold up well against the cars that the brand was orginally designed to compete against.

The LS is a fine car though, but I have heard Buick makes the quitest cars on the road.
Old 08-08-10, 12:29 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyAlder
The LS is a fine car though, but I have heard Buick makes the quitest cars on the road.
I've driven a lot of Buicks, but none have come close to the level of quiet in the cabin of my LS430. They are quieter than most other GM cars, though, even some Cadillacs.

BTW, I think Chrysler wins the title of least reliable (or quitest), especially once all that Fix It Again Tony engineering is introduced.

Last edited by caddyowner; 08-08-10 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 01:00 AM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;5696122]The future Caddy XTS is a FWD car.

They need to use the same tenacity on the Caddy XTS as they did on the CTS-V. The CTS-V outran the BMW M5. Front wheel drive is a mistake, but i did hear that it would be all-wheel-drive. GM can compete and especially Ford it's good to see America trying to make good cars again.
Old 08-08-10, 01:05 AM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by votru
GM need to stop pursuit to be a Lexus/BMW/MB instead focus on expand their base customer and bring better product that once proven then customer will follow.....my $.02.
You think that Lexus it up there with BMW and MB I don't know about that. Don't get me wrong the Lexus is a great auto but I don't think much compares to and S600 or a loaded S-550.
Old 08-08-10, 04:37 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Many American drivers, probably most living in places that get any snow, won't consider a RWD car anymore and think AWD is too heavy, complex, and trouble-prone. A former co-worker owned a series of Cadillacs and commented that his brother bought a current generation STS. I asked whether the STS was RWD or AWD. He looked puzzled and said he thought all Cadillacs since the mid-90s were FWD. He said he wouldn't touch a RWD car anymore.

One of my neighbors works for GM and bought his wife a new 07 CTS. I sold him the winter tires and wheels off my old CTS. After a year, the CTS was gone, replaced by a Buick Lucerne. He said his wife hated the way the CTS drove in the winter, even with the snow tires.

Cadillac will come out with another large luxury car with a transverse engine with FWD and optional AWD. Ford did the same thing with the MKS. If they are smart, they will leave RWD for the smaller, performance oriented luxury cars like CTS. The FWD / AWD SRX is far outselling the old RWD / AWD SRX. Sales of the RWD / AWD STS are moribund. Buick should also stick with FWD / AWD platforms except for a smaller, performance oriented car.
Old 08-08-10, 05:12 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blessed
You think that Lexus it up there with BMW and MB I don't know about that. Don't get me wrong the Lexus is a great auto but I don't think much compares to and S600 or a loaded S-550.
Yep, that why I went with the LS600hL... Oh , that right, I am a member of Club Lexus so that automatically means I support Lexus Cars. Funny thing is I bought my Lexus way before I joined this forum.
Old 08-08-10, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoyAlder
I think it could work. As a long, long time Lexus owner, IMO, some of todays Lexus models do not hold up well against the cars that the brand was orginally designed to compete against.

Virtually nothing can compete with the LS for quietness, including any Buick.
Old 08-08-10, 04:19 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno but the new lacross is looking mighty fine on the streets! I think buick hit the spot on the lacross but the lukewarm warranty makes it a little difficult to take the plunge.....
Old 08-08-10, 06:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buick is learning to do luxury in the modern era for more demanding buyers, good news.
Old 08-08-10, 06:34 PM
Benwilliam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tee
Here you go.
All of those firsts are wonderful, but it is not as if the newest Audi A8, or BMW 7Series also doesn't have a host of "world's first". That line is simply a line from the PR department of said automaker and nothing more. Touting an electronic parking brake as a world first? That's a feature on numerous Saabs, Volvo's, Land Rovers, VW, etc. Nothing to write home about as a world first, in my opinion.

The LS is a wonderful car, *is* the best sedan from Japan, but I just don't feel it is class-leading as it used to be, that's my opinion. I am not trying to insult anybody who owns the said product.

I regret stating I would not enter this thread again, but I was taunted into it by another member who obviously took what I said as a personal insult, which is not the case.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
You fail to understand the LS's target customer. Trust me when I say this, "driver involvement is the last thing on the minds of the LS purchaser" That's exactly how Lexus wanted it. Driver involvement involves sacrifices, sacrifices that would turn away LS sales from their intended audience. So, yes, in the eyes of the LS buyer, it *is* a good thing.

Where do you get such falsehoods?
I don't agree that the lifeless steering on the LS is a good thing. The S-Class has a much better tradeoff here, in my opinion, and from thorough driving in both sedans. I am sorry if this offends people who own the product, but on any forum there are differing opinions. I agree with the member who stated that we don't need one line of reasoning shoved down everyones throats, or rudely insulted and treated as if they are crazy when they purport their own opinions. I don't find my own opinion full of any falsehoods and stand by it entirely.

Good day.
Old 08-08-10, 06:36 PM
Benwilliam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a legitimate difference of opinion like "I prefer the S-class to the LS because of its prestige" versus flaming and ridiculous opinions like "the LS is a horrible car and not in its right class".

You need to stop saying "Clublexus members" like its the entire forum. Not to mention you maybe need to realize something;
No one person decides what is "legitimate". I find my own opinion perfectly legitimate. Further, nobody stated "the LS is a horrible car and not in its right class", you are creating entirely false narratives here, Sir. No need to insult others simply because you can't seem to understand where they are coming from. Like I said, I am no the only one who feels the way I do.

Quick Reply: Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue