Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 07:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Virtually nothing can compete with the LS for quietness, including any Buick.
I agree. LS is coffin quiet, not that I have been to any coffin but I would imagine it would be that quiet.
Old 08-09-10, 12:39 AM
RoyAlder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've driven a lot of Buicks, but none have come close to the level of quiet in the cabin of my LS430. They are quieter than most other GM cars, though, even some Cadillacs.

BTW, I think Chrysler wins the title of least reliable (or quitest), especially once all that Fix It Again Tony engineering is introduced.
I am curious to know how the current ES, HS, RX hold up against a Buick. I wonder if the B is quieter. The LS430, won't deny that it was whisper quiet but the LS460 is not as quiet IMO.
Old 08-09-10, 02:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dave also makes a good point. A true luxury car, as I see it, places a soft, comfortable ride, soft seat cushions, plush trim, and a plush interior above all else. That is different from a sport-sedan/performance-car, which is meant for responsive feedback to the driver's inputs. Trying to combine the two, IMO, is like mixing apples and oranges, although some BMW, Mercedes, and Audi models have admittedly done a generally good job of it by good chassis engineering and variable-damping suspensions. Among those three makes, though, the non-AMG Mercedes S-Class is probably the best example of true luxury-car engineering, with superb ride comfort......Consumer Reports calls it the best ride they have found on a mass-production car.
DING DING DING

S won MT's shoot-out for best super luxury sedan with A8L second, 750L third

Also, Caddy's offering BIG discounts right now
Old 08-09-10, 04:33 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
I agree. LS is coffin quiet, not that I have been to any coffin but I would imagine it would be that quiet.
I think you meant to say "tomb" quiet?
Old 08-09-10, 06:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyAlder
I am curious to know how the current ES, HS, RX hold up against a Buick. I wonder if the B is quieter. The LS430, won't deny that it was whisper quiet but the LS460 is not as quiet IMO.
From a recent C&D comparo. Cruising @ 70 mph (db's):

68 LaCrosse
70 Taurus
69 Genesis
69 ES350
Old 08-09-10, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Surely you mean how a Buick holds up to a Lexus. Lexus has been among the quietest cars for decades now. Buick still has a lot to prove here. I commend them for the great job they are doing.

Differences between the LS 430 and LS 460 are really negligible. One is not much louder or quieter than the other.

Old 08-09-10, 09:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure how the ES is ugly. Lets also remember the ES is V-6 only and starts at 35k. The LAcrosse can be had with a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder and starts at 27k. The ES like the RX is the standard in class. PERIOD. Its amazing to see the hate they garnish by people not interested in them and completely bashing them based on perceptions they have without even thinking for 2 seconds the cars are aimed at a different buyer and those buyers LOVE THEM.

It is a good effort but the interior is clearly not to Lexus/ES levels nor most anything else.

Is Lexus that hated? Where anyone can just say "its going after Lexus" and people insist the Lexus is worse and lost the battle?

Funny people bash Lexus for being Lexus but give kudos for Buick for being like a Lexus?

WTF?
Lexus spent YEARS undercutting the competition on price, and building its reputation, which now enables it to charge $70K for its flagship. Buick can't do that. Buick can try to take on the LS, but the only way there are going to do that is by selling the Park Avenue for under $50k.
Old 08-09-10, 09:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Lexus spent YEARS undercutting the competition on price, and building its reputation, which now enables it to charge $70K for its flagship. Buick can't do that. Buick can try to take on the LS, but the only way there are going to do that is by selling the Park Avenue for under $50k.
They can still charge $20k for a park avenue and I still wouldn't buy one. I don't find any of their products desirable and I'm pretty open minded.
I'd go for a ford/lincoln before buick.
Old 08-09-10, 09:58 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I found the MKS ride, sound, and engine to be rather harsh compared to the LS and the best GM products. The ecoboost engine helps, but it's usually paired with a tire and suspension setup that doesn't do it any favors.
Old 08-09-10, 10:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Many have brought up goods points about pricing this new car, because careful pricing will be critical to the early success of a car like this.
Old 08-09-10, 10:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I spent 12 hours in the 400h yesterday and I would say that car is almost "tomb quiet" at highway speeds. It's nice, but at my age I am not ready to give up the throaty growl of my Subie.
Old 08-09-10, 10:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

And where is the Buick LF-A fighter?
Old 08-09-10, 11:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Many have brought up goods points about pricing this new car, because careful pricing will be critical to the early success of a car like this.
Pricing on a luxury Buick will be critical. Hyundai is going through that now with the Genesis and upcoming Equus. Getting consumers to pay $40-$50k+ for the brand is a challenge.
Old 08-09-10, 12:57 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

what a lot of people in the states don't realize is that we are getting the genesis and equus at very close to the cost it takes to build the car. the mark up is very minimal.

unlike in korea, the genesis and equus go for a premium with standard mark up profits as other manufacturers here in the states.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Pricing on a luxury Buick will be critical. Hyundai is going through that now with the Genesis and upcoming Equus. Getting consumers to pay $40-$50k+ for the brand is a challenge.
Old 08-09-10, 01:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

AFAIK, Genesis costs about twice more in Korea than it costs in the US.

Quick Reply: Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue