Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: the 335d might just be the best car on the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10 | 05:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335i
It's kinda funny how obsessed you are picking on the 335.

What is more funny is almost no one is running a chip on the 335d in the U.S..
335d > 335i > IS350.
I'ts not picking on it at all and maybe its your obsession with trying to defend/prove the 335 in every thread. Its a funny observation. I know there is no chip I was being sarcastic. I think its hilarious to see the opinion(s) about the 335 from some people, thats all.

$4500 eco credit + $900 federal credit = costs less.

Diesel is about 20+ cents per gallon cheaper than Premium where I live. I have owned both.

No HPFP issues as well.
There is also the fact not every gas station has diesel gas to offer to the consumer. 20 cents per gallon is nothing and it fluctuates.

Again its cool its offered but the price is ridiculous as you are ONLY getting gas savings and no performance benefits.

Originally Posted by STIG
But X5 3.5D is so badass tho. To me, diesel X5 makes a lot more sense than the diesel 3 series. They should bring in 320d, and it may well be my next daily driver if they do.
I agree here, it does. I don't care what people say about REal World 335 MPG, sorry but there are so many 335 owners with no credibility and I can't take it serious. I'm sure we will here some 60 MPG claims and its better than a Prius posts soon.
Old 08-06-10 | 06:08 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Our AdBlue is included with our "free" maintenance from BMW. I've had mine topped up twice...once when it read low abnormally early....and the second time as part of our routine service.

MB had to refill it the first time as the pump froze. The second time we were charged as part of the regular maintenance. (Don't get me started on the ridiculous maintence charges from MB ).

Out of pocket it's something like $50 for 2.5 gallons of the urea. No idea who suggested it's that expensive.
Got it..I just had a vague recollection about reading it being outrageous. Can one refill it by themselves, or is it a dealer-only service item?
Old 08-06-10 | 07:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
When modern 6 cylinders (IS 350, G37, 335i) can return the same or better MPG on highway stints I just wouldn't buy a diesel, especially at a premium.
Case in point.

328i: $33,150, 18/28 (6AT)
335d: $42,600, 23/36 (6AT)

528i: $44,550, 22/32 (8AT)

Wait until that 8 speed cause into the 328i.
Old 08-06-10 | 08:51 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is also the fact not every gas station has diesel gas to offer to the consumer. 20 cents per gallon is nothing and it fluctuates.
20 cents per gallon is nothing?

Again its cool its offered but the price is ridiculous as you are ONLY getting gas savings and no performance benefits.
It's quite nice not having to fill up as often. As performance, 425 lbs of tq. is nothing to scoff at. How do hybrids compare?

I agree here, it does. I don't care what people say about REal World 335 MPG, sorry but there are so many 335 owners with no credibility and I can't take it serious. I'm sure we will here some 60 MPG claims and its better than a Prius posts soon.
uhm ok.
Old 08-06-10 | 09:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are correct that not every gas station carries diesel, but when you're getting 900 km per tank, you should be able to find one before you run out.

Fwiw, currently in my tourist town (they jack gas prices in the summer but less so for diesel)...I'm paying 92 cents per gallon less than for premium fuel.

I have never paid any less than 55 cents per gallon cheaper for diesel than premium since we've owned both of our diesels.

In my opinion, it really comes down to the type of driving you do. If I lived in the city, and did a stop and go commute, the RX450h would surely be in my garage. I do far more highway driving, probably 70/30, that has the diesel making more sense for us.
Old 08-06-10 | 09:25 PM
LexFather

It's quite nice not having to fill up as often. As performance, 425 lbs of tq. is nothing to scoff at. How do hybrids compare?
Hybrids have instantaneous torque due to the batteries. Performance hybrids have torque off the charts, there isn't any standard way to measure it though.

For example the active hybrid 7 has 516lbs of torque.

Another example is the GS 450h.
An electric motor provides 197 hp (147 kW) @ 5,615-13,000 rpm, and a torque rating of 203 lb-ft (275 kW) @ 0-3,840 rpm, all of which goes to the rear wheels. Note that the generous torque of the electric motor is available as soon as you put your foot on the accelerator, giving the GS 450h its formidable acceleration.
The detuned V-6 has 267 lbs of torque.

You are correct that not every gas station carries diesel, but when you're getting 900 km per tank, you should be able to find one before you run out.

Fwiw, currently in my tourist town (they jack gas prices in the summer but less so for diesel)...I'm paying 92 cents per gallon less than for premium fuel.

I have never paid any less than 55 cents per gallon cheaper for diesel than premium since we've owned both of our diesels.

In my opinion, it really comes down to the type of driving you do. If I lived in the city, and did a stop and go commute, the RX450h would surely be in my garage. I do far more highway driving, probably 70/30, that has the diesel making more sense for us.
FYI I am in no way shape or form saying hybrids are better than diesels. I like both.
Old 08-06-10 | 09:32 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Consider yourself lucky!

Diesel actually costs a bit MORE than premium gas throughout all of Chicago and the surrounding Illinois area.
Old 08-06-10 | 11:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You shouldn't compare the "real world" mileage of a hybrid, diesel or even just an average econocar to a performance car, even when they are driven by the same driver, along the same route. The thing is, people tend to to push performance cars pretty hard, which often results in poor mileage, but when they get a diesel/hybrid/econobox they tend to drive slower and make it a point to get better mileage.

With that being said, diesels and hybrids have their advantages, but they also have their disadvantages. For me, the disadvantages outweight the advantages, so I'm sticking with simple petrol motors. I might have a hybrid in my future if the 4GS-h kicks a lot of ***
Old 08-07-10 | 12:26 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

If you guys only knew me.

Och - I don't try to conserve gas at all. 28mpg all day long. Lots of hills.
Old 08-07-10 | 05:49 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I just have issue with how MT is writing the article. I mean 29 is nothing to brag about on the highway.
He would have had to average well over 29 to bring up the mpg by .4, though. Still, I agree with the lack of clarity in the writing.
Old 08-07-10 | 09:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I am not sure how I would rank M3 against 335i because I don't have enough seat time in 335i.
I don't have an enormous amount of seat time in them, either, but from my test-drive experiences, I'd pick the 335i, hands-down, over the M3, for daily driving, especially the 335xi AWD model 9though both the 335 and M3, as new cars, are a little out of my price range). The 335i has what, IMO, is arguably the best ride/handling balance (even with the firmer Sport Package and 35-series tires), combined with the traditionally superb BMW steering, that I have yet encountered in a production sedan/coupe. It also beats the M3's torque rating.

On a track, though, the M3's higher-rev/higher-HP engine and stiffer suspension (uncomfortably stiff, IMO, on bumps) are obvious advantages, especially on a glass-smooth track surface.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-10 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-08-10 | 05:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't have an enormous amount of seat time in them, either, but from my test-drive experiences, I'd pick the 335i, hands-down, over the M3, for daily driving, especially the 335xi AWD model 9though both the 335 and M3, as new cars, are a little out of my price range). The 335i has what, IMO, is arguably the best ride/handling balance (even with the firmer Sport Package and 35-series tires), combined with the traditionally superb BMW steering, that I have yet encountered in a production sedan/coupe. It also beats the M3's torque rating.

On a track, though, the M3's higher-rev/higher-HP engine and stiffer suspension (uncomfortably stiff, IMO, on bumps) are obvious advantages, especially on a glass-smooth track surface.

I disagree on your ride quality comment,Mike.Much better ride quality than a 335 with sport suspension.
No run flats on the M3 and this from Edmunds...

" The EDC option provides three driver-selectable suspension settings (Comfort, Normal and Sport), but even in Normal, the M3 does an adequate job of soaking up bumps while providing world-class body control on back roads. Frankly, those who get the M3 without EDC will never miss it."

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-08-10 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-08-10 | 05:56 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I disagree on your ride quality comment,Mike.
No run flats on the M3 and this from Edmunds...

" The EDC option provides three driver-selectable suspension settings (Comfort, Normal and Sport), but even in Normal, the M3 does an adequate job of soaking up bumps while providing world-class body control on back roads. Frankly, those who get the M3 without EDC will never miss it."
Mmarshal hasn't had seat time in a M3 with EDC yet he constantly says the car is incredibly stiff. I think there should be a disclaimer there because it's not always the case.

Like I've said before, I've been in a M3 with low profile tires (30), lowered on springs w/EDC and it rode better than my stock 335i/335d.

It is annoying to drive on the street though coming from either 335 due to it's gearing/torque. However once you get on the freeway, good lord the car is a beast. 3rd gear is simply superb. I have had a month of everyday driving with a M3 (switched with a friend).
Old 08-08-10 | 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Mmarshal hasn't had seat time in a M3 with EDC yet he constantly says the car is incredibly stiff. I think there should be a disclaimer there because it's not always the case.

Like I've said before, I've been in a M3 with low profile tires (30), lowered on springs w/EDC and it rode better than my stock 335i/335d.

It is annoying to drive on the street though coming from either 335 due to it's gearing/torque. However once you get on the freeway, good lord the car is a beast. 3rd gear is simply superb. I have had a month of everyday driving with a M3 (switched with a friend).

Run flats kill ride qualilty too.
My 335i was great for performance.Quick but felt much faster than it actually was. Handling is very nice but the sport pkg ride is annoying over bumps and the pothole explosions were brutal.My NYC metro area roads aren't the best.
The non sports pkg and x-drive suspensions produce better ride quality while not taking too much away from the handling,IMO.
I found the test rides to be exhilerating but for me, the novelty wore off quick after a short while with that rough ride and pothole noise along with a few long starts for an upcoming fuel pump issue.
The 335d is a nice choice,though.It's a shame one must order the rough ride sports pkg to get those nice sports seats.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-08-10 at 06:24 AM.