Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 06:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know about this new model, but the outgoing model was the most miserable, pitiful, hateful POS that I ever had the misfortune to drive. I hated it so much that I would rather have anthrax than ever consider a Chrysler product.
Old 08-06-10, 07:58 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Dayum, rather have Anthrax?! LOL!
Old 08-06-10, 09:33 PM
LexFather

lol at Och. I actually liked the last SRT8 very much, seen it even burn the 1/4 mile up.

I can appreciate the effort and I think its probably a big step up. Everything on paper looks great. Bailouts= no sale. Sorry.

Old 08-06-10, 09:50 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol at Och. I actually liked the last SRT8 very much, seen it even burn the 1/4 mile up.

I can appreciate the effort and I think its probably a big step up. Everything on paper looks great. Bailouts= no sale. Sorry.
Agreed.

You couldn't pay me to drive any vehicle from a pos company that should have died a couple of years ago.
Old 08-06-10, 11:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I never drove the SRT8, but my parents owned the 5.7 hemi, and I'm not fond this motor. Sure, its got torque down low, but its so noisy, harsh, and unrefined. And after 50mph it runs out of breath and feels like your average V6 powered SUV. The other thing, its lack of throttle response from the throttle by wire system makes Lexus feel like a Ferrari. The lag on WOT was so insane it almost got me into an accident once.

Well from the pictures it does look like a big step up, but its still a Chrysler built on top of the aging ML platform. Might as well just get the real deal.
Old 08-07-10, 06:17 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if we don't like the "real deal?"

Anywho... Appreciate the opinions. As you all know (by now) I will make the decision that's best for the fams and of course my wifes desires.
We will still go and drive one for a weekend and see if it makes her happy.
It is however hard to get this particular vision out of my head... sitting next to the 7 in the garage:

Old 08-07-10, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Anywho... Appreciate the opinions. As you all know (by now) I will make the decision that's best for the fams and of course my wifes desires.
Jeeps, as many other posters here (and Consumer Reports) have always have been a risky, and roll of the dice in the reliability department...especially with the drivetrains as the miles build up. The sole exception has been the Patriot model, which has been Better-Than-Average except for some body problems....interesting, considering that the Compass, done on the same platform, is unreliable like other Jeeps.

On the original question, though, of going with a new GC or a Land Rover, I'd reluctantly say the Jeep, for several reasons....even though it is an all-new, unproven model. One, you could have a GC for maybe half of the price of a new Land Rover, and, of course, to get a Land Rover for a GC price you would have to settle for one at least several years old. Two, Land Rovers, on the average, are even MORE unreliable than Jeeps, especially in the area of electronics and hardware. And parts/service, when not covered by warranty, can lighten your wallet in a hurry. Three, the new GC, looks more impressive, on the surface at least, than the last model, inside and out, but, of course, I'll have to withold more comment until I see it in person. Chrysler products, in the past, have had a way of doing that......trying to make an interior look plush by taking cheap, flimsy plastic and covering it with a surface coat of glitz.

Although you and the Mrs. are going to see it yourself, do you want me to go take a look at a new GC, TXSTYLE? Even without writing it up in a formal CL review, I can talk about it more definitely once I've seen it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-10 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 10:19 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I appreciate this response that although opinionated is not overly biased. So kudos for that. And yes... That sounds like a plan MM. Ihear much negative talk of the RR, but a friend and a neighbor both who own one have never had
issues. Having owned many cars myself including two 7 Series that"supposed to be troubled prone" I have nothing but pure "driving pleasure" with zero issues on either. So its all relative really. But yes.... I would like to hear your opinion regarding this vehicle. It will be a 2 Wheel Drive loaded.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 08-07-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I definitely think it's a handsome looking vehicle. Our 94' GC was a PITA tho. Many tranny problems. Granted these are not the same vehicle, but at the very least I would consider a 2012 GC after some of the initial problems from the 2011 have been resolved. Hopefully a 6-speed Auto to replace the 5 speed.
Old 08-08-10, 02:37 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see the SRT8!
Old 08-08-10, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, folks.....I'll do a full-review. Despite the reliability risks, several of you seem to have at least some interest in it. I'll write up one full review, but, if possible, try and test-drive both 2WD and 4WD versions.
Old 08-08-10, 06:30 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 07 SRT8 was flawless even after pushing over 500hp out of it, my only complaints were the interior quality was crap for a car of that value and if u live in a hot climate then take it out during the summer miday to test out the A/C cause thats crap too and is the reason i sold the car
Old 08-08-10, 07:06 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, folks.....I'll do a full-review. Despite the reliability risks, several of you seem to have at least some interest in it. I'll write up one full review, but, if possible, try and test-drive both 2WD and 4WD versions.
Sounds like a plan bro.
Old 08-09-10, 03:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

As much as I owould like the JGC to be a success, Chrysler should be dead and your answer is below:

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Old 08-09-10, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As much as I owould like the JGC to be a success, Chrysler should be dead and your answer is below:
Why recommend a Range Rover? RRs not only cost a lot more than a JGC, but, in some areas, have even worse reliability. And, with a RR, he would likely have to start out with a used one, not brand-new. They are, of course, superb and comfortable off-road.....agreed, but expensive to maintain even apart from the reliability issue.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-10 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...