Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 06:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why recommend a Range Rover? RRs not only cost a lot more than a JGC, but, in some areas, have even worse reliability. And, with a RR, he would likely have to start out with a used one, not brand-new. They are, of course, superb and comfortable off-road.....agreed, but expensive to maintain even apart from the reliability issue.
ONLY because those were the two he's considering Mike... MANY other choices

As someone posted in another thread, I think the new Explorer looks very similar to the RR
Old 08-09-10, 06:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
ONLY because those were the two he's considering Mike... MANY other choices

As someone posted in another thread, I think the new Explorer looks very similar to the RR
Seriously, the new explorer looks awesome.
Old 08-09-10, 09:24 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Crappy car + crappy dealerships
It was horrendous calling the dealerships around here for service
When my friend turned in her Jeep GC lease, it crapped out a week before that.

If you want a family hauler that looks like the RR, I'd go for Ford Flex
Old 08-09-10, 02:45 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Well... as MM has pointed out, AND I had already stated... These are currently the 2 vehicles that she has expressed genuine interest in AND that I also like.
I get several car magazines and of course scour the net for updates on new/upcoming vehicles. So I believe I should know what I/we want.

And YES... The RR would be 2 yrs old as that is my max for buying pre-owned unless I came across a ridiculous deal, miles, condition, records, etc. I have a good friend who specializes in locating high-end luxury brands nation wide (he located both my Bimmers) and he knows exactly how picky I am on EVERY detail. So I have ZERO issues buying pre-owned in that market.
the JGC is new to me and I know no one who has owned one, so I am definitely doing my homework and appreciating the assistance from folks like MM who test cars with a passion.
I already know everything I need to know about the RR. So it's a matter of "overall value and build quality for this new JGC that I am concerned with. Yes, it's new and might have some kinks, but it will be brand new and the dealer must comply to any and all potential issues it may have.
I can get a VERY clean pre-owned RR the way we want it for @ the cost of a new loaded JGC, but there's also the financing difference here that I am carefully looking at. The RR would be a purchase and the JGC would be leased most likely. I am a numbers guy so I take much into consideration in these scenarios.
Thx for the feedback.
Old 08-10-10, 10:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like all Chrysler products, it'll have horrible resale and high depreciation as Chrysler will flood Hertz/Avis/Budget/Dollar/Enterprise with them.

However on the flipside, Chrysler is putting a huge wager on the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. It looks like a improvement over the last few. Except for that Garmin nuvi-based navigation.
Old 08-10-10, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Like all Chrysler products, it'll have horrible resale and high depreciation as Chrysler will flood Hertz/Avis/Budget/Dollar/Enterprise with them.
People don't usually rent Grand Cherokees. But Dodge Stratus/Calibers, and Chrysler Sebrings, yes.

However on the flipside, Chrysler is putting a huge wager on the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. It looks like a improvement over the last few. Except for that Garmin nuvi-based navigation.
It IS a big improvement in a number of ways (see my latest review in CAR CHAT). But it still has some of the old Chrysler flimsy plastic in some hardware and buttons/controls.
Old 08-10-10, 02:40 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The Grand Cherokee looks nice, as does the new Explorer. I actually like the look of the Explorer better.

But since you don't have a problem with preowned (I don't either), I'd probably choose a newer, full size RR, sans supercharger. I'd probably leave it stock too, to enjoy the comfortable ride.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-10, 06:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

After having owned 3 Chrysler products, I have to say.....never again. ANNUAL maintenance/repair costs exceed what I've paid on my BMW in a DECADE.
Old 08-12-10, 09:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

In the immortal words of Chris Tucker and Ice Cube: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! LOL!
However... New car = Dealers obligation for issues.
Old 08-12-10, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
After having owned 3 Chrysler products, I have to say.....never again. ANNUAL maintenance/repair costs exceed what I've paid on my BMW in a DECADE.

The 5/100 drivetrain warranty on the new Chrysler products (similiar to the 5/100 at GM) should take care of at least some of those potential problems. Ford, despite its improved quality recently, still lags with a 5/60.
Old 08-12-10, 11:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
In the immortal words of Chris Tucker and Ice Cube: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! LOL!
However... New car = Dealers obligation for issues.
Or so you'd think. My wife's Sebring convertible cost us an average of $1600 every 6 months while it was covered under BOTH the factory 3/36 warranty AND a 7/100 Chrysler "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. Truly the worst vehicle ownership experience I've ever been a party to.
Old 08-12-10, 01:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

a chrysler built by fiat. what could possibly go wrong?

actually this vehicle looks great and reliability of prior models is likely to be of little to NO value when considering this one. it's a BRAND NEW vehicle, built by an essentially new company with new management.

while nice, i wouldn't touch one for a couple of years to see how they work out.
Old 08-12-10, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a chrysler built by fiat. what could possibly go wrong?

actually this vehicle looks great and reliability of prior models is likely to be of little to NO value when considering this one. it's a BRAND NEW vehicle, built by an essentially new company with new management.

while nice, i wouldn't touch one for a couple of years to see how they work out.

I've just reviewed a new 2010 Grand Cherokee, Paul. Don't let the Chrysler and Fiat ownership fool you. The engineers have done a great job in a number of areas.....especially drivetrain/chassis refinement and a greatly improved interior, although a few pieces of the old cheap flimsy Chrysler plastic still remain. Of course, the old question of reliability still remains.....that has been a Jeep bugaboo for many years, and only time will tell if it is finally improving.

I know you're an Explorer fan. An all-new Explorer is coming, too, and it will be interesting to see how well it stacks up against the new Grand Cherokee. In the 1990's, of course, before the SUV field started expanding so much, the two were bitter rivals in the marketplace...with the Explorer usually coming out on top in sales.

I will probably check out a new Explorer, even if I don't write it up.
Old 08-25-10, 03:01 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Review from a BMW owner (Bimmer Forum)

Test drove a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited over the weekend here in Colorado and all I have to say is WOW. It is a stunning vehicle to view in person and the fit and finish on the inside are as good as many of the premium SUVs out there (X5 included). All of the major magazines and auto reviewers have had stellar things to say about this vehicle and I can concur based on our drive. The Limited that we test drove had the V8 Hemi, so fuel economy was a bit low, but the punch from that big V8 was instant and ferocious. The way this thing drove also blew me away. Plenty of pick-up, handled great on the twisties and highway cruising was very well behaved even up to 90mph. The cabin was also very quiet and had plenty of expensive looking leather, wood trim and soft touch plastics. I think Chrysler has a much needed home run with this new Jeep... and while I doubt very much that there will be a lot of cross shopping from people looking at an X5 going into a Jeep dealership... I have to say that this dedicated BMW driver would not be all that disappointed driving one of these new Jeeps as a daily driver... assuming I could keep my 335i coupe as a weekend toy!

Here is a site with a great summary of all of the new Jeep's features.
Additional photos: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2011_intro.htm

Old 08-25-10, 05:35 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Or so you'd think. My wife's Sebring convertible cost us an average of $1600 every 6 months while it was covered under BOTH the factory 3/36 warranty AND a 7/100 Chrysler "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. Truly the worst vehicle ownership experience I've ever been a party to.
So what was actually wrong with the car, cause bumper to bumper means everything is covered, cause my brothers 300C just had a weird issue, that we cause and after 1000's of dollars in parts and labor and 2 weeks in the shop, and nothing was covered by warranty, they only charged him 250 bucks for new spark plugs which fixed the problem, so you might want to find a new dealership, cause I think the people who worked their took advantage of you

Quick Reply: Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...