Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 07:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
So what was actually wrong with the car, cause bumper to bumper means everything is covered, cause my brothers 300C just had a weird issue, that we cause and after 1000's of dollars in parts and labor and 2 weeks in the shop, and nothing was covered by warranty, they only charged him 250 bucks for new spark plugs which fixed the problem, so you might want to find a new dealership, cause I think the people who worked their took advantage of you
Oh we did find a new dealership, twice--I agree we were being taken advantage of.

But it was mostly "maintenance items" which aren't covered under the "bumper to bumper" warranty. The thing went through trans fluid like nobody's business, for example. 10k miles and the stuff was PITCH BLACK. And yes, I checked it myself. Or a bearing would wear out, which also isn't covered. PCM burned up 4 times, two of which were covered under warranty (the other two were after it expired, one by less than a month and Chrysler wouldn't budge) but had to be replaced one extra time when the voltage regulator, which is attached to the alternator on every other car ever made by any other manufacturer but for some reason is part of the PCM on mopars, stopped working.

Plug replacements cost a fortune because the intake manifold has to come off, and therefore the gaskets have to be replaced. Fuel filter costs a fortune because the tank has to be dropped. None of that is covered under any warranty. And it only gets worse after the warranty expires. Alternator took me 6 hours to replace (before I found out the problem was the inexplicably-not-part-of-the-alternator voltage regulator) because it's at the very top of the engine, but has to be taken out from the undercarriage, which means removing the A/C compressor from the car and loosening or removing at least 8 bolts completely blind. Battery replacement (it's been through 7 at this point) requires jacking up the car and removing the inner fender.

It's like they design their vehicles for the express purpose of being unreliable and difficult to work on. My parents' Concorde, a friend's Neon, another friend's Cherokee, and my Dakota were all similarly awful (though the Dakota and the Jeep, being trucks, were larger, less complex, and easier to wrench on than the others), so it's not like the Sebring was simply an anomaly.

Last edited by geko29; 08-25-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 01:01 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a chrysler built by fiat. what could possibly go wrong?
It's still penned in Detroit and built in Toledo, OH. Not in Turin.
Old 09-13-10, 01:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the new JGC last Saturday, nicely done. Very refined, smooth V6, decent ride/handling combo, nice interior too.
Old 09-13-10, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I drove the new JGC last Saturday, nicely done. Very refined, smooth V6, decent ride/handling combo, nice interior too.
Glad we agree. That was exactly my finding when I did a full-review on the new 2011 model recently.....a super-smooth V6/transmission combo and much-better interior than last year.

Did you notice somewhat weak or questionable front-seat attachment hardware, though? That was one of my few complaints with it. Of course, you are probably not as large or heavy as I am, or put as much stress on it.
Old 09-13-10, 05:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Glad we agree. That was exactly my finding when I did a full-review on the new 2011 model recently.....a super-smooth V6/transmission combo and much-better interior than last year.

Did you notice somewhat weak or questionable front-seat attachment hardware, though? That was one of my few complaints with it. Of course, you are probably not as large or heavy as I am, or put as much stress on it.
We do agree, this JGC has the premium SUV feel when driven.

No questionable front-seat issues observed, rock solid. Maybe the demo car you drove was abused or had an assembly defect.
Old 09-13-10, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
We do agree, this JGC has the premium SUV feel when driven.

No questionable front-seat issues observed, rock solid. Maybe the demo car you drove was abused or had an assembly defect.
Hard to have been abused, brand-new, with only a couple of dozen miles on it (assuming it wasn't test-driven by a Sumo Wrestler).....and I sure didn't abuse it myself (though my weight doesn't help). Didn't really feel like a significant defect, either, (and it probably wasn't a big deal)......just a tiny bit of free-play, that's all.

Even with the new JGC's refinement, good looks, and many all-new parts (and I admit there were several features I was impressed with), it still would be a pretty hard sell for my money. Jeeps have simply been too unreliable for too long, although I have a close friend (a Jeep fan) who had had good luck with two Cherokees and a Commander....but that is generally not the norm. IMO, I would have to wait and see some indication, from Consumer Reports, of (widespread) average or better reliability before I would either buy one myself or seriously recommend one to others.

So, in a nutshell, let's hope its general reliability now matches its new-found refinement.
Old 09-13-10, 09:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Agreed, Jeeps have a history of hit and miss reliability. I've owned 3 with good results but never kept one over 100K miles. I sold one JGC to a family member that kept it for 159K miles, only 1 significant failure with A/C.

But all that is history with little relavance, because the new JCC shares very few components with past products. And in 2010, sloppy first year introductions with poor reliability are not viewed highly, or in other words being the first year is no longer a valid excuse for any automaker.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-13-10 at 09:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-13-10, 10:06 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Be very very very very very cautious getting a JGC. For decades, they've had some of the worst reliablity in the industry. While every new model that debuts looks promising, 95% of the time they end up proving just as unreliable as the last model. Check Consumer Reports and Edmunds for more.
This comment made me laugh my a$$ off. I saw the pics and thought..."hmm, this could be promising.." lol then the comment.
Old 09-13-10, 10:38 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

New JGC is ML based? How so? I thought partnership ended when Daimler sold chrysler. If it rides like our ML you'll like the ride. In terms of reliability on ML's, it got better as later models got the bugs worked out. I agree it's a handsome suv.
Old 09-13-10, 11:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How much do you weigh, my buddy weight was up to 300 when he had his JGC Limited 4.7, he broke the seat and the dealer replaced the seat with what they called heavy supports, it's something they do for their heavier clients, an outside shop does it for the dealer, he later broke the seat in his Explorer, again reinforced, by the same outside shop
Old 09-13-10, 11:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
How much do you weigh, my buddy weight was up to 300 when he had his JGC Limited 4.7, he broke the seat and the dealer replaced the seat with what they called heavy supports, it's something they do for their heavier clients, an outside shop does it for the dealer, he later broke the seat in his Explorer, again reinforced, by the same outside shop
I'm not quite 300....around 270 or 280. The seat in my Outback, like the ones in my Lesus IS300 and the Toyota Celica before that, has held up surprisingly well for someone my size.

Perhaps the flimsiest seat I've seen in a new car was in my brother's Renault LeCar, back in 1979. If I remember right, it had PLASTIC supports. He's big like me, and they broke after about a year. He had to prop the whole seat up with a wooden block behind it to keep it in place. (Standard warranties, in those days, were generally 1/12)

But boy, were those front seats comfortable, if flimsy........even on a cheap, entry-level car like that. Can't beat French cars for seating comfort.
Old 09-14-10, 12:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

oh how they run this into ground... 12-15 years ago, this was the suv to get. I "had" one while i was living in cali, pretty good.... and bam, they destroyed the whole brand.

unfortunately there is no "switch" you can turn on to instantly go from crap to quality so be extra careful.
Old 09-14-10, 08:38 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

At the end of the day, it's still a Chrysler product... and all of them are bad.
Old 09-14-10, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
At the end of the day, it's still a Chrysler product... and all of them are bad.
I would rock the hell out of a 300C SRT8...

Old 09-14-10, 10:03 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My dad just bought a loaded 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Limited as a CPO for $30K with ~15K miles on it. He bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty for it which is good for 7 years/100K miles...paid $3200 additional for that but it's worth it! The car was on the lot for $35999 and got them down to $30K. It even came with the 20" SRT8 wheels powdercoated in black (it is white on biege leather)! I tell you, I am impressed with this vehicle...the leather and interior quality seems very nice and the nav, back-up camera and heated REAR seats are all nice touches as well! There are power outlets everywhere; even a 110v outlet by the rear seats. Gets the same gas mileage as the V6 gets due to it's MDS engine that switches to only 4 cylinders when cruising and back to 8 cyclinders when accelerating on demand. The new ones look VERY nice as well! I think Jeep has come a long way and is a great competitor.

BTW my dad's truck seems to ride very nice IMHO...smooth, powerful and quiet...so I'm not sure why people are saying that the previous year's model JGC's suck.

Quick Reply: Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...