Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 02:00 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...

I am thoroughly impressed without even having seen it in person! They run the commercial quite often on ESPN and it is VERY attractive all around. The reviews and articles I'm reading are stellar! In fact... We were considering a pre-owned Range Rover for the Mrs. and kids here shortly (she gets a new car/truck @ 2yrs), but depending on how this drives and fit & finish, it might take it's place beside the 7 Series. She has been pretty set on the Rover HSE, but she took notice of the commercial one day and commented, "That looks very nice! I'd like to go drive one."

Interior is the hotness!

Chrysler's first all-new product to be released post-restructuring is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. This all-new model has been upgraded to be more luxurious and capable than the outgoing model.

The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 starts at $32,995 (including a $780 destination charge) with the up-level Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 model commanding $39,995. The range-topping Overland 4x4 model carries a sticker price of $42,995.

The entry-level 2011 Grand Cherokee 4x2 lists from $30,995 -- $495 less than the outgoing model.

The launch of the new Grand Cherokee marks the first application of company's new, flexible fuel 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, which features Variable-Valve Timing, 290 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm.

Also available is a 5.7-liter Hemi V8, generating 360 horsepower and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4,250 rpm. The Hemi features VVT and fuel-saving Multi-displacement System (MDS) technology with dual exhaust to maximize efficiency.

Torsional stiffness is 146 percent more than the previous Grand Cherokee, and stiffer than the BMW X5 and Toyota Highlander, according to Chrysler. The Quadra-Lift air suspension system delivers off-road capability along with the new Selec-Terrain system that allows the driver to choose the drive system that best matches on- or off-road conditions. New front and rear independent suspension systems deliver better on-road handling and comfort, the company claims. Quadra-Lift adds up to 4.5 inches of lift span that is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride. Quadra-Lift operates automatically, or may be controlled manually via console controls.

The interior has been revamped with better materials and overall aesthetics. An available all-new CommandView dual-pane sun roof provides twice as much glass surface than a standard sun roof and extends from the windshield to the rear of the vehicle. The front panel can be opened rearward, providing additional light and fresh air to first-row passengers. The rear panel, which is fixed, allows light and open viewing for second-row passengers and comes standard with a power sun shade.

The vehicle's 114.8-inch wheelbase is 5.3 inches longer than the model it replaces and contributes to an overall vehicle length that is 1.8 inches longer than the prior model. The longer wheelbase creates more interior room and gives passengers an additional 4 inches of rear-seat knee and leg room. The vehicle also is also 3 inches wider. The front doors have larger openings -- by about two inches in height and width -- while the rear doors open wider-- 78 degrees versus 67 degrees -- for improved access to the interior.

For added passenger comfort, rear seats recline 12 degrees. There's also a 12-degree forward angle to allow 24 degrees of variation. Cargo volume behind the second-row has increased by 6.8 cubic feet, to 36.3 cubic feet total. An available fold-flat front-passenger seat provides even more cargo storage room. An all-new power rear liftgate is available, controlled via the key fob.

Seventeen-inch wheels are standard and deliver off-road capability, while optional 18-inch and 20-inch wheels can be ordered.

The standard UConnect Guardian will automatically call emergency services in the event of an accident. Other features include remote door unlocking, roadside assistance, a stolen vehicle locator, and an emergency call feature. UConnect Web mobile internet will also be on offer.

Standard safety features include Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with rough-road detection, and the four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS). Other safety features include full-length side-curtain air bags which extend protection to front and rear outboard passengers, seat-mounted side thorax air bags that enhance protection for the driver and front passenger and active head restraints which deploy in the event of a rear collision.

The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee also features SIRIUS Travel Link, offering up-to-the minute information about gas prices, weather conditions, sports scores and movie listings. In addition, Grand Cherokee features SIRIUS Traffic, which monitors traffic in 78 markets across the U.S.
Old 08-06-10, 02:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Be very very very very very cautious getting a JGC. For decades, they've had some of the worst reliablity in the industry. While every new model that debuts looks promising, 95% of the time they end up proving just as unreliable as the last model. Check Consumer Reports and Edmunds for more.
Old 08-06-10, 02:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Will do.
Old 08-06-10, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^When checking CR reliability data, check Jeep models by model and year by year, some are quite robust, many terrible.

For this new model, it's too early to make reliability assumptions with so much new hardware (this is not just a rebody).

I sat in this new JGC last month, it's very nice.
Old 08-06-10, 02:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
^^ Will do.
I do agree though, the new model looks very sharp.
Old 08-06-10, 02:23 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

It is entirely 100% new from the ground up! I expect Jeep/Chrysler to "come correct".
Old 08-06-10, 03:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I'd still be cautious. "All-new", "greatly improved", "fixed the old problems", etc etc have been promises we've heard from GM and Chrysler for 25+ years now. While some strides have been made, it often takes two or three redesigns to completely turn the corner. At the very least, I'd wait 2-3 model years and see how this one stacks up. Also, I haven't read the whole article but I believe this new model is based on a Mercedes. That may be a good or a bad thing. Last I researched, the Mercedes SUV's are high achievers, but don't have the greatest reliability either. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 08-06-10, 03:14 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

the new one is very sharp indeed.

I've driven a few Jeeps in the past. My last car was a GC Limited from 06-09, and no problems i can recall really. May be i just got lucky, since it seems from people's comments that they have spotty reliability.
Old 08-06-10, 03:24 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ No I have read around where owners have had solid success too.
I will do my research. The Rover is still an option. Either way it will be White.
Old 08-06-10, 03:28 PM
acheparev
Driver

You may try leasing it for a couple years, see if you like it. Then just pay it off if you do.
Old 08-06-10, 03:51 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by acheparev
You may try leasing it for a couple years, see if you like it. Then just pay it off if you do.
Oh that would be the idea no question.

And I know why it's so sharp...

The Benz ML has ALOT to do with it.
Old 08-06-10, 03:52 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

My wife and I don't like "rounded off" SUVs. More straight lines.
Old 08-06-10, 04:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great looking truck!
Interior is awesome!
Reliability is always an issue with Jeep.Even scarier when it's a new model.
Old 08-06-10, 04:53 PM
Benwilliam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Be very very very very very cautious getting a JGC. For decades, they've had some of the worst reliablity in the industry. While every new model that debuts looks promising, 95% of the time they end up proving just as unreliable as the last model. Check Consumer Reports and Edmunds for more.
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
It is entirely 100% new from the ground up! I expect Jeep/Chrysler to "come correct".
Well, no, it is not "100% new from the ground up". This new Jeep is one of the last collaborations between Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) and Chrysler. There are some major differences, but the inherent structure is straight Mercedes-Benz ML. This is a very German SUV in substance, design, and build quality, which are all great things relative to the products homegrown in North America.
Old 08-06-10, 06:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am interested in the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've test driven both the new Hemi and the V6 Models in Limited and Laredo X trim respectively. I think they're both pretty solid overall. The Hemi obviously has way more power than the V6, but the V6 felt like it had a decent amount of power for 95% of driving situations. At least they give you a V8 option, unlike the new 4Runner which is V6 only.

The interior was way better than the previous generation and the ride was very composed, and not floaty for an SUV. Interior is much more refined than the similarly positioned 4Runner. As noted by others, the ML base brings a very German, composed feel to the chassis. Super quiet on the roads and buttoned down on the mild twisties I took it through.

It has made a believer out of me! I'm waiting to see if Fiat will update the transmissions on the Grand Cherokee, it currently only has 5 speed automatics available. I would think a 6 speed would help the highway mileage some more.

Quick Reply: Considering: 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited...