Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?
2003 BMW 540 Auto
30.23%
2003 Lexus GS430
69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 03:38 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reliability > vs style
Old 08-07-10, 10:28 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the interior shots in this link.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8&postcount=13
Old 08-07-10, 10:37 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i vote for M5 in this post
Old 08-08-10, 12:14 AM
RoyAlder
Driver School Candidate

I voted for the GS.

As much as I love the current BMW, the older Lexus models blow the BMW away
Old 08-08-10, 02:26 AM
LexFather

I've driven them both plenty of times and owned the 2GS twice and loved it. I love the 540 as well. Both won import car of the year, both were on ten best lists and both won countless awards. The 5 and GS battled back and forth over and over in comparisons for the top two spots.

In regards to reliability by 2003 most of the kinks were all worked out as it was the last model year before the Bangle 5 series. As you can see in the pics they updated the 540 with some M-sport style effects. So don't get too scared, its not a 1997 model.

My take is both are built great in regards to materials. The 5 has more seat adjustments. It handles better stock and has that German feel. Rear seat is actually pretty good too.

Both cars are pretty equal in acceleration. 5 series handles better stock for stock. Simply adding sway bars and springs to the GS means the GS actually has less body roll and is more controllable. 5 series steering is solid vs GS stock. GS with L-tuned ECU helps a bunch.

Honestly if it isn't a manual 5 series, I'd get the GS here.

Old 08-08-10, 02:29 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
check out the interior shots in this link.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8&postcount=13
Whoever wrote that is sadly mis-informed, Lexus leather especially in the higher up models last longer and seems more durable while being supple than most cars. I'm not knocking the BMW, which I like, but the BMW's leather is a little tougher skin yet durable but not as soft as Lexus, i call it a draw..

The GS400 was originally designed to compete against the 540i, if Lexus didn't build the GS Series, I would probably be driving a BMW now.. So it proves to show that Lexus GS series made their niche in the mid-size luxury sedan world..I can confidently says there are more satisfied GS owners out there than 540i owners which proves Lexus did something right at least for this segment of cars. (Look at this forum - how many GS owners on here is staggering in numbers)
Old 08-08-10, 03:16 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 540 kicks the 430 *** in performance and handling. But I dont think you can go wrong with either choices. Both very solid cars.
Old 08-08-10, 02:46 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

I just got rid of my 2002 540ia sport with 72k miles , I bought this car with only 32K miles by the the 50k mark this is what all went wrong:

1- the taillight seals leak and shorted the rear taillight had to get a new one.
2- the instument cluster and radio had missing pixels since I got it and more started disappearing with time........very annoying
3- the doors seals leaked and there's a water puddle every time it rains hard in the rear seat floor since 32K miles
4- the whole cooling system was changed water pump, radiator (blew up) at 50K....
5- the wipers stopped working. it was the relay first and the second time the motor.
6- these cars the power seats twist, literally......mine just shorted out and stopped working had to have the seat taken out and had the wires extended.
7- relay for the ac/heat blower went out..........
8- rear tire camber is negative from factory,.... will need a new set every 15-20k miles..... I was on my 3rd set

The funny part is these are known common issues with the E39..... its not that I had picked up a bad apple,...so either its happened or going to happen to your E39
The bimmer gave me more issues than any car has ever given me, it had been unreasonably unreliable, totaly unacceptable in my opinion for a car I paid $23K for with only 1 owner and 32K on the clock!!
From 50k to 72k no problems..... I was shocked.....lol
Now the good part,...the 540 out handled and accelerated faster than my 2000 GS400...... it is a drivers car hand down!!! I absolutely love the cabin and the exterior design of the E39 over the GS!!
My GS400 which I bought with 60ish K miles and put 40K miles on it gave me no "0" issues just brakes, battery, fluid changes, plugs!!!........Every lexus I have owned has been amazing! Just give it some suspension attention and you are set!
I would only buy a BMW with a warranty, no exceptions!
ATB.....

Last edited by LexT; 08-10-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 04:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

While the GS430 is reliable, it does have its quirks:

-Door lock actuators (costly if you are going with new dealer parts)
-Servo motor for the HVAC system can go out. Somewhat inexpensive to fix.
-Caster bushings can go bad and cause 60mph vibrations.
-Lower balljoint can break and cause $1000 worth of damage if not taken care of.
-Sunroof rattle that's annoying as hell, but I've noticed this in multiple Lexus as they wear.

No matter what car you buy, there will be something to fix down the road, but the luckily the things that do go bad on the GS is pretty easy/cheap to fix.
Old 08-08-10, 05:32 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The bimmer looks better and will be more enjoyable to drive but the Lexus will be softer and a bit more reliable. This is a hard decision
I agree, can't say it better myself.
Old 08-08-10, 10:05 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i like the 540i but good luck!
Old 08-09-10, 02:55 AM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Originally Posted by LexT
I just got rid of my 2002 540ia sport with 72k miles , I bought this car with only 32K miles by the the 50k mark this is what all went wrong:

1- the taillight seals leak and shorted the rear taillight had to get a new one.
2- the instument cluster and radio had missing pixels since I got it and more started disappearing with time........very annoying
3- the doors seals leaked and there's a water puddle every time it rains hard in the rear seat floor since 32K miles
4- the whole cooling system was changed water pump, radiator (blew up) at 50K....
5- the wipers stopped working. it was the relay first and the second time the motor.
6- these cars the power seats twist, literally......mine just shorted out and stopped working had to have the seat taken out and had the wires extended.

The funny part is these are known common issues with the E39..... its not that I had picked up a bad apple,...so either its happened or going to happen to your E39
The bimmer gave me more issues than any car has ever given me, it had been unreasonably unreliable, totaly unacceptable in my opinion for a car I paid $23K for with only 1 owner and 32K on the clock!!
From 50k to 72k no problems..... I was shocked.....lol
Now the good part,...the 540 out handled and accelerated faster than my 2000 GS400...... it is a drivers car hand down!!! I absolutely love the cabin and the exterior design of the E39 over the GS!!
My GS400 which I bought with 60ish K miles and put 40K miles on it gave me no "0" issues just brakes, battery, fluid changes, plugs!!!........Every lexus I have owned have been amazing! Just give it some suspension attention and you are set!
I would only buy a BMW with a warranty, no exceptions!
ATB.....
The BMW to me is like the Hot chick with a gorgeous rack and *** that will be a lot of fun and give you a great time but can burn you and give you STDs.

The Lexus is like the good looking steady girlfriend with a decent rack and *** that will be consistent and always be there for you.

The problem is that Im very attracted to the BMW and all the benefits of the great driving machine but I dont wanna get burned. I dont swim in money but have some money set aside for maintenance and repairs but I dont want a money pit of a car with ongoing issues/problems. I rather use that extra money for upgrades. I was also hoping that by getting the last year of production for the E39 540 that all known issues would be resolved by then. I guess that may not even hold true after reading about some of the common issues pointed out by LexT.

The Lexus GS 430 is still pretty good looking for a car that came out in 1998 and the slight minor exterior changes in 2001 made it even more attractive. I also like the minor touches like the option of getting a wood grain steering wheel in the GS compare to the BMW. I actually like the 2nd gen GS design better than the 3rd gen GS.

Originally Posted by GSteg
While the GS430 is reliable, it does have its quirks:

-Door lock actuators (costly if you are going with new dealer parts)
-Servo motor for the HVAC system can go out. Somewhat inexpensive to fix.
-Caster bushings can go bad and cause 60mph vibrations.
-Lower balljoint can break and cause $1000 worth of damage if not taken care of.
-Sunroof rattle that's annoying as hell, but I've noticed this in multiple Lexus as they wear.

No matter what car you buy, there will be something to fix down the road, but the luckily the things that do go bad on the GS is pretty easy/cheap to fix.
I love the fact that the GS is pretty easy and cheap to fix = more money to spend on 19-20" wheels/rims, suspension, etc. Not really a lot of quality and annoyance issues that should come with a $50k plus vehicle. This decision is tough and Im still not sure of which vehicle to pick.

Thanks again for all the info guys! Keep it coming.

Last edited by Blk04GS430; 08-09-10 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 09:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk04GS430

I love the fact that the GS is pretty easy and cheap to fix = more money to spend on 19-20" wheels/rims, suspension, etc. Not really a lot of quality and annoyance issues that should come with a $50k plus vehicle. This decision is tough and Im still not sure of which vehicle to pick.

Thanks again for all the info guys! Keep it coming.
Cost wise I think both are about the same in terms of maintenance cost and repairs. The difference is the BMW may have more common or preventative maintenance and/or repairs than the Lexus, but both are about equal in terms of parts costs and ease or lack of ease of DIY repairs. BMW has a lot more aftermarket parts though (Well, at least for the 3 serious, not sure about the 5) so online parts are often cheaper because of the competition and many choices. The good thing about the BMW is most of the common problems will occur, so preventative maintenance is pretty easy.
Old 08-09-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"The reliability and cost of maintenance, repairs, etc are most important factors." per OP makes the BMW 540 2nd choice by far. I know somebody that owns one (he has deep pockets and is original owner and still complains about the constant and high repair and maintenance costs) and he would not recommend it.

I will not get into the hot chick discussion, not applicable.
Old 08-09-10, 04:59 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

having owned a gs and driven a 540 6 speed for some time, i would give the edge to the gs( mine was gs400, basically almost the same as gs430).

GS, butt dyno, felt like it had more torque. and even tho the 540 was a stick, still felt like the gs was a bit quicker and faster (acceleration and top speed). again i might be biased but i also always wanted a 540. i will say, cornering and handling has to go to bimmer. having said not, it wasnt anything a set of tein cs didnt fix.

to each his own, ultimately when you choose either one, you are probably going to love it. good luck

Quick Reply: 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?