Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

road rage- with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 01:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default road rage- with a twist

Was coming home from dinner tonight with my mom and dad. Dad was driving my mom's MDX. We are first at a stop light in the fast lane and a new S-Class Benz is next to us in the slow lane. Light turns green and the guy guns it around us, cuts in front of us, puts on his brakes, and moves into the left hand turn lane coming up. So my dad, being the hothead that he is, doesn't slow to let the guy in. We've all seen this before. But the guy makes it over anyway and my dad is super pissed he got cut off. There is no reason the guy could have just accelerated more slowly and gone BEHIND us to the left lane. That would have been the right thing to do.
So, we both get up to the next light, and now the Benz is on my dad's side. I knew the garbage was about to hit the fan. My dad looks over at the guy, who is staring at him. My dad stops short, puts the window down and asks the guy what the &$#* he just did? The guy continues to stare at my dad, and then creeps forward to get more even with his window. He puts his window down and says to my dad, "why did you do that? You could have been a gentleman and let me in..." My dad angerly said no way, you cut me off and could have gone behind me (true). So the guy pauses for a second and says, "I am sorry." My dad hesitated for a moment and the guy said he was sorry again. My dad then said, "it's okay, I appreciate you saying that." Windows go up and we both are on our way.
Now, this has happened before with my dad where he cannot control his temper and confronts people who cut him off. It's resulted in some serious yelling and probably more (which he hasn't told us). No matter how much my mom and I try to calm him down, there's no stopping it. I've just come to accept it and duck in hopes the other guy doesn't have a gun.
But tonight it turned out like no other time. The bad guy actually apologized and turned respectful! This is something I've never seen before. Usually the jerk drivers never admit to wrong and want to fight further. This guy was actually sorry (or scared) and wanted it to end. I was shocked. And my dad was lucky. I really hated the whole thing, but there's not much one can do as a passenger.
Old 08-07-10, 01:40 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

wow! thats rare, seeing someone who cuts you off actually apologizing. but new s-class benz, or any new car for that matter, im surprised he would do such a thing. one of the worst feelings of being a car owner is having something bad happen to it at any point, much less being a brand new car with no plates. im glad your dad didnt back down. more and more cars dont want to stall and go behind a car in order to get into another lane, which is a big time hazard. but at least no one got hurt, which is the most important thing.
Old 08-07-10, 03:29 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen this soooo many times especially in my case, I don't see how people would accelerate HARD just to get in front cutting everyone off (In this case) cutting me off. I don't have the best temper either but most times i just bite my tongue.. I don't see why they couldn't easily brake alittle and get behind you which I do alot because its smarter to avoid an accident than getting into a pile up which this kind of crap always happen in Houston, Texas (worst drivers) I've ever seen..
Old 08-07-10, 03:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I've seen this soooo many times especially in my case, I don't see how people would accelerate HARD just to get in front cutting everyone off (In this case) cutting me off. I don't have the best temper either but most times i just bite my tongue.. I don't see why they couldn't easily brake alittle and get behind you which I do alot because its smarter to avoid an accident than getting into a pile up which this kind of crap always happen in Houston, Texas (worst drivers) I've ever seen..
This happened ontop a street bridge crossing over a freeway. We were first stopped at the beginning of the bridge. The next light was just at the other end of the bridge. So there was very little distance to get enough speed to go around someone. I am guessing the guy didnt' see how close the next light and left hand turn lane was or he wasnt' familar with the area or knew exactly the area and was just driving like he owned the road with his big Benz. Either way, was still shockingly surprising to hear his apology.
Old 08-07-10, 03:50 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This happened ontop a street bridge crossing over a freeway. We were first stopped at the beginning of the bridge. The next light was just at the other end of the bridge. So there was very little distance to get enough speed to go around someone. I am guessing the guy didnt' see how close the next light and left hand turn lane was or he wasnt' familar with the area or knew exactly the area and was just driving like he owned the road with his big Benz. Either way, was still shockingly surprising to hear his apology.

yeah, it is RARE to see someone admit their fault and apologize. All I've gotten was the finger, cuss out, and bad mouth for confronting them..
Old 08-07-10, 05:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my dad, being the hothead that he is, doesn't slow to let the guy in.
The guy in the S class was an idiot, for sure, but it was this incident, right here that started the altercation (road rage, if you will). Calling the guy in the S Class "the bad guy", well, from your story, *that's* debatable.
Old 08-07-10, 08:16 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

You should mention to your father that the outcome of confronting another driver can turn out in a very, very bad way.

When I was growing up, our neighbour was involved in a disagreement while driving downtown. There were angry gestures and words exchanged over some poor driving decisions. What happened next was the other driver stopped in front of our neighbour, got out....and killed him with a tire iron.

I know this is an extreme example, but who knows today with all the crazies out there and what they are willing to do. It seems today, that especially the younger generations, are willing to cross the line much quicker over stupid non-events .
Old 08-07-10, 01:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

The first things out of me and my mom's mouth to him were to let it go... the guy could have a gun. But when rage takes over, there is no stopping him. This has happened several times before when driving. Once he gets into that zone, animalistic behavior takes over and you're not dealing with a rational human. It's quite frightening. I think he gets this hot-headed thing from back in the day, growing up during the late 50's and early 60's in a bad part of L.A. To survive jr. and high school, he had to defend himself and learn how to fight. Crazy how it stuck and comes out when driving nowadays.
Old 08-07-10, 01:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The guy in the S class was an idiot, for sure, but it was this incident, right here that started the altercation (road rage, if you will). Calling the guy in the S Class "the bad guy", well, from your story, *that's* debatable.
Definitely agree. Both made bad decisions. One started it and the other continued it.
Old 08-07-10, 01:41 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was coming home from dinner tonight with my mom and dad. Dad was driving my mom's MDX. We are first at a stop light in the fast lane and a new S-Class Benz is next to us in the slow lane. Light turns green and the guy guns it around us, cuts in front of us, puts on his brakes, and moves into the left hand turn lane coming up. So my dad, being the hothead that he is, doesn't slow to let the guy in. We've all seen this before. But the guy makes it over anyway and my dad is super pissed he got cut off. There is no reason the guy could have just accelerated more slowly and gone BEHIND us to the left lane. That would have been the right thing to do.
So, we both get up to the next light, and now the Benz is on my dad's side. I knew the garbage was about to hit the fan. My dad looks over at the guy, who is staring at him. My dad stops short, puts the window down and asks the guy what the &$#* he just did? The guy continues to stare at my dad, and then creeps forward to get more even with his window. He puts his window down and says to my dad, "why did you do that? You could have been a gentleman and let me in..." My dad angerly said no way, you cut me off and could have gone behind me (true). So the guy pauses for a second and says, "I am sorry." My dad hesitated for a moment and the guy said he was sorry again. My dad then said, "it's okay, I appreciate you saying that." Windows go up and we both are on our way.
Now, this has happened before with my dad where he cannot control his temper and confronts people who cut him off. It's resulted in some serious yelling and probably more (which he hasn't told us). No matter how much my mom and I try to calm him down, there's no stopping it. I've just come to accept it and duck in hopes the other guy doesn't have a gun.
But tonight it turned out like no other time. The bad guy actually apologized and turned respectful! This is something I've never seen before. Usually the jerk drivers never admit to wrong and want to fight further. This guy was actually sorry (or scared) and wanted it to end. I was shocked. And my dad was lucky. I really hated the whole thing, but there's not much one can do as a passenger.

Next time this happens I think you need to call the cops and let them have a little talk with your old man. Everytime he gets in a road rage with you and your mother in the car he is putting you both in danger, if he was alone he suffers the consequences that may happen by himself but to put you and your mother in danger you need to do something about it.
He may actually learn that getting into a rage with the "real man" might not be a good idea.
Old 08-07-10, 01:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Better to just avoid the situation.
Old 08-07-10, 02:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is best to just drive away slowly from a road rager. A young Miami football player, in a car with several fellow rookies got involved in a game of "bumper tag" with a carload of thugs. Unused to being challenged by much smaller people, the fellow got out of the car at a traffic light and went to the window of the other car . . . where he was shot. I remember this because his mom was my secretary at the time years ago, and as you can imagine, was absolutely devastated by the news of her son's senseless death.

People don't think in the heat of anger that the other guy could be extremely dangerous, even armed. I've had a .45 cal revolver pointed at me by a highly disturbed person who thought I had wronged him by stopping at a light. Fortunately, he was more intent on aiming his pistol at me than watching where he was going, and he crashed into the Armco barrier on the freeway, disabling his truck, and probably himself. Thankfully two cops in a patrol car witnessed the whole thing. I didn't stop - I wasn't willing to get anywhere near that lunatic.
Old 08-07-10, 02:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Refreshing ending there.
Old 08-10-10, 02:02 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Refreshing ending there.
Yup. I didn't expect that. Pretty interesting! Kudos to the other S class guy for apologizing!

Turby
Old 08-10-10, 02:48 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Next time this happens I think you need to call the cops and let them have a little talk with your old man. Everytime he gets in a road rage with you and your mother in the car he is putting you both in danger, if he was alone he suffers the consequences that may happen by himself but to put you and your mother in danger you need to do something about it.
He may actually learn that getting into a rage with the "real man" might not be a good idea.
Because we all know cops are the voice of reason.

I'd like to offer the exact opposite advice. Never, ever snitch on your family. Ever.

Quick Reply: road rage- with a twist