Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 09:43 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for nice review! Really like the new model, only concern is the reliability. Must be a lot better than our 04 model.
Old 08-12-10, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Thanks for nice review!
Sure...anytime.

Really like the new model, only concern is the reliability. Must be a lot better than our 04 model.
Definitely an improvement in fit/finish, chassis/drivetrain refinement and (some) interior materials. The Inferno Red paint, unlike most extra-cost paint jobs, this time, IMO, is worth it. But, as I pointed out in the review, some bugaboos remain. There's still some of the old Chrysler flimsy interior plastic, (particularly on the buttons), acceleration with either powerplant is not particularly impressive (though I didn't test a Hemi RWD), the front-seat supports don't seem particularly strong, and, of course, reliability of past models does not bode well, even though the new one is extensively re-designed. I hope that your '04 has not been troublesome for you.
Old 08-12-10, 10:29 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you checked out a new Grand Cherokee yet, TXSTYLE? You seem to have narrowed it down, in the other thread, to that or a CPO/used Range Rover.
Not as of yet. Hadn't had the time. But yes, as of now those are the front runners.
Old 08-12-10, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Not as of yet. Hadn't had the time. But yes, as of now those are the front runners.
OK. Good luck.
Old 08-15-10, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A couple of important things that I did not mention (or forgot to mention) in the original review. First, I found the manual, step-on parking-brake pedal, high and under the left side of the dash, rather awkward to use for persons with big legs like mine. Second, (and very important) Chrysler has huge incentives on the outgoing 2010 models that range up to $5500 cash, 0% APR for up to 72 months, and a 60-day money-back pledge (even including the payments) if you are unsatisfied with the vehicle. But, though it is unclear from Jeep's website, from what I could tell after doing some research, these incentives do NOT apply to new 2011s.....only leftover 2010's.

So...the question comes up: Is the better-performing 2011 model worth the loss of these incentives? That, of course, has to be decided by each prospective buyer, but, IMO, probably yes. And, of course, it will soon be a moot point, because the dealer-stock of 2010's is running out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 06:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So it seems that the new GC's quality is more or less on par with its competitors, but is it really worth considering? It may be somewhat cheaper than some of its competitors, but the bottom line is, competition has been offering better quality crossovers for years, and the new GC like any Chrysler will depreciate faster than a used condom. Combined with that fact that the future of the now Fiat owned Chrysler is unclear, and in light of the recent government bailout, I would avoid it like chicken pox.

On a side note, I wonder what do GC enthusiasts think of this new model. I don't think Mike mentioned it in his review, but this new model is no longer a capable off-roader like the old model, but rather another cross over with independent suspensions, based in large on the aging Mercedes ML platform.
Old 08-16-10, 11:00 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A couple of important things that I did not mention (or forgot to mention) in the original review. First, I found the manual, step-on parking-brake pedal, high and under the left side of the dash, rather awkward to use for persons with big legs like mine. Second, (and very important) Chrysler has huge incentives on the outgoing 2010 models that range up to $5500 cash, 0% APR for up to 72 months, and a 60-day money-back pledge (even including the payments) if you are unsatisfied with the vehicle. But, though it is unclear from Jeep's website, from what I could tell after doing some research, these incentives do NOT apply to new 2011s.....only leftover 2010's.

So...the question comes up: Is the better-performing 2011 model worth the loss of these incentives? That, of course, has to be decided by each prospective buyer, but, IMO, probably yes. And, of course, it will soon be a moot point, because the dealer-stock of 2010's is running out.
FOK!!!!!!!!

Talk about "dumping the old to make room for the new". That is a super duper deal.
Old 08-16-10, 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
FOK!!!!!!!!

Talk about "dumping the old to make room for the new". That is a super duper deal.
This isn't necessary as good of a deal as it may seem at first. Yes, you get the car super cheap, but this type of price dumping kills resale value, and when its time to sell that car a few years later you lose tons of money.
Old 08-18-10, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
This isn't necessary as good of a deal as it may seem at first. Yes, you get the car super cheap, but this type of price dumping kills resale value, and when its time to sell that car a few years later you lose tons of money.
Chrysler has those Make-Out-Like-a-Bandit incentives on the 2010s for a reason. Few people, IMO, who look at and test-drive a 2011, with its big improvements, will want a 2010. I certainly wouldn't.