Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

By CL member request, a Review of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/grand_ch...pability_tour/

In a Nutshell: Forget your old Drill Sergeant's Jeep, and even many newer Jeeps.....the new Grand Cherokee is REFINED, but reliability may be a concern.

Some CL members expressed interest in the all-new 2011 Grand Cherokee, and several of my neighbors own older ones and (may) be looking at a new one not too far off, so I decided to do a full-review. At one time, of course, back in the 1990's, before many smaller car-based SUVs had been introduced,
the Grand Cherokee was wildly popular, and trailed only the top-selling Ford Explorer in the family-SUV market. The Explorer and Grand Cherokee, back then, essentially replaced the minivan-craze of the late 80s and early 90s, as families searched for a combination of people and cargo-hauling capability that could be used anywhere, in any weather. Since then, of course, the SUV market (both large and small) has vastly mushroomed, and neither the Grand Cherokee or the Explorer are the big sales-icons they were 15 years ago.

The Jeep nameplate, of course, goes back to World War II, to the original General-Purpose military vehicle that served us so well in that conflict and later in Korea and Vietnam. Automotive historians credit the General-Purpose initials (GP) as "Jeep"...the vehicle's original nickname, which has stuck through the years...until the Jeep was replaced by the AM-General Hummer in the 1980s. It was originally produced, in wartime, by the Ford, Bantam, and ******-Overland companies before being absorbed by the Kaiser-Jeep company after the war. It then went to AMC (American Motors), Renault, and, finally, to Chrysler....and now, of course, Chrysler is owned by Fiat.

The Grand Cherokee, as stated above, was introduced in the early 1990s as a more plush/refined big-brother to the huge-selling Cherokee of the 1980s....though the Grand Cherokee was actually not that much larger. Jeep also wanted a credible competitior to the enormously-successful Ford Explorer, which the Grand Cherokee went on to become, like the success of the regular Cherokee before it.

But, like the widely-publicized roll-over problems with the Explorer's suspension and Firestone Wilderness tires, the Grand Cherokee also had a Achilles' Heel....like some other Jeeps of the time, poor reliability. It consistantly, for years, had a record in Consumer Reports for a Worse-than-Average or Much-Worse-Than-Average reliability record, particularly in drivetrain and hardware issues. The Grand Cherokee, though, on 4X4 models, did include the sophisticated, set-and-forget, Quadra-Trac AWD system that was not available on other Jeeps. For years, I suggested to the Jeep marketers expand the Quadra-Trac hardware to other, smaller Jeep models, particularly the rather crude Wrangler, which badly needs it, but, to date, they have only done so to a very limited amount. The Select-Trac is also a selectable, full-time AWD, but not as sophisticated as Quadra-Trac, and the primitive Command-Trac is essentially the old, part-time, off-road military system going back to the original Jeeps.

The Grand Cherokee sits more-or-less at the top of the present Jeep line-up, which includes the smaller, less-expensive Compass, Patriot, Wrangler, and Liberty models, though Jeep's marketing seems unclear if the Grand Cherokee or the somewhat larger, boxier Jeep Commander is the real flagship. All 4X4 Grand Cherokees, of course, are Trail-Rated.....and announce that on their fenders. "Trail-Rated" is Jeep-speak for off-road-capable, since all Compass models, some Patriot, and, of course, all RWD models, don't have that rating. In fact, the Compass is not even a true Jeep, being essentially a rebadged, re-styled FWD Dodge Caliber compact car. The Patriot is also essentially car-dervied, but some versions include extra hardware and frame/chassis-bracing to get the coveted Trail Rating.

For 2011, the all-new and extensively re-designed Grand Cherokee comes in Laredo, Laredo-X (Package), Limited, and Overland versions. All four versions come with a 5-speed automatic with Chrysler's "Side-Stick" auto-manual shift (no manual transmision is offered) and a standard 3.6L VVT-i V6 of 290 HP and 260 Ft-lbs. of torque. All versions offer standard RWD or Jeep's sophisticated Quadra-trac AWD....which now includes a Range-Rover-style rotary **** to select SNOW, MUD, GRAVEL, etc.... modes to program the AWD's off-pavement response characteristics. All Laredo-X, Limited, and Overland models offer an optional 5.7L "Hemi" V8 with the 4 cylinder de-coupler for highway cruising in non-tow mode. Base prices range from $30,995 (with freight) to $41,900, depending on trim level/options. All 4WD verions, of course, are Trail-Rated.

The original review request was for a "loaded", V8, RWD 2011 version. I had some trouble finding one, as the closest one was in the dealer's service-bay being prepped and unavilable for review, and the other ones were too far away at outlying dealerships. No Overland, and few Limited models, could be found in stock. So, to compromise, I chose to do a full-review of a V6, RWD, Laredo-X version and to check-test, with a test-drive, a Hemi V8 Laredo-X 4WD version to see how (roughly) much difference the V8 would make in acceleration/handling. Of course, the added weight/drag of the 4WD hardware also affected the V8's power/handling....but, it could also be run in RWD with the front wheels de-coupled. I wasn't terribly impressed with the acceleration in either version, especially with the A/C on....more on that later.

But, unlike earlier Jeeps (and many other Chrysler products), I WAS impressed with much of the rest (though not all) of these two vehicles. This is the first all-new American-market Chrysler product to be introduced after the Fiat/U.S. Government buyout, though its basic development probably goes back to before the bankrupcy and buyout. A few of the old Chrysler/Jeep bugaboos still remain, but it is clear that the engineers and designers did their homework with this vehicle. You can see, by my comparably short list of MINUSES below, that I did not find a lot of things in this vehicle to complain about. Yes, it guzzles some gas, but so does almost any 6 or 8-cylinder SUV of this class. But, for the BIG Jeep bugaboo (reliability)........ only time will tell.

Though the Ford Explorer and Grand Cherokee no longer dominate the SUV sales buisness like they did in the 90s, a new Explorer will soon debut.....even more reason for Jeep to try and do a good job on this new Grand Cherokee if they still want to compete. So, how good is it, and will it be able to compete? I have not actually seen or driven the new Explorer (yet), but, for the answer on the Cherokee's part.......read on.

Model Reviewed: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X2

Base Price: $30,215

Options:

Laredo X Package (this includes a lot of features): $4000

Inferno-Red Paint: $225

Trailer-Tow Package: $595

Destination/Freight: $780 (about average)

List Price as reviewed: $35,815

Drivetrain: RWD, longitudionally-mounted 3.6L VVTi-V6, 290 HP @ 6400 RPM, torque 260 ft-lbs. @ 4800 RPM,
5-Speed automatic transmission with Side-Stick auto-manual-shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: (V6, RWD) 16 City, 23 Highway

Exterior Color: Inferno Red (this is a gorgeously-done color, and is very similiar to the also-gorgeous Lexus Matador Red.

Interior: Two-tone Dark/Medium Graystone Leather.

PLUSSES:

Long 5/100 Drivetrain warranty (3/36 bumper-to-bumper).

Smooth, quiet V6 and V8.

Buttery-smooth 5-speed automatic.

Well-done power-steering feel; virtually BMW-grade.

Quiet ride with good wind/road noise insulation.

Buttery-smooth, responsive brake pedal with minimal fee-play.

Well-located brake pedal.

Quick steering response by SUV standards (perhaps too quick).

Superbly-comfortable and well-designed steering wheel.

Vastly-improved interior trim over previous models (but still some thin-plastic).

Well-done, classy primary-gauges.

Good rearward-vision.

Good V6 underhood layout, even with an engine-cover.

Nice gas hood-strut.

Excellent headroom, front and rear.

Excellent front and good rear legroom.

Excellent (but not quite killer) stereo-sound quality.

Good interior hardare...an upgrade from manny recent Chrysler products.

Nicely-finished cargo area.

Protruding chrome body-side moldings protect from parking-lot dings.

A real spare tire.

Many on and off-road accessories available.

MINUSES:

(Possible) long-term reliability issues.

Poor Consumer Reports' reliability record of previous models.

Neither engine feels particularly strong.

Slightly darty steering response.

High center of gravity means some body lean on cornering.

Flimsy, thin-plastic side-mirror housings.

Rather flat, unsupportive front seats.

Seat attachments don't feel strong.

Zig-zag transmission-shifter.

Awkward-to-press, foot-pedal emergency-brake.

Too many small, digital-readouts crammed in between the speedometer/tachometer.

Despite the improvement, (Still) some typical-Chrysler thin-plastic interior trim/buttons.

EXTERIOR:

Even though the vehicle is all-new and extensively re-designed, it is still instantly recognizable as a Grand Cherokee...the basic lines and famous Jeep vertical-bar grille (this one in chrome) are still there. There is still the same high ground clearance and high approach/step-over/departure angles for deep snow, mud, water-fording, and rock-climbing. Nice chrome lower-body mouldings help protect the paint from parking-lot dings, but I question the wisdom of doing them in chrome, which can get bruised and scuffed. Trail-Rated badges, on the 4X4 models, sit proudly on the front fenders. The sheet metal is done very well and feels fairly strong, though the 4 side doors close with more of a slapping sound than a real thunk. The rear hatch does closes solidly and with a thunk. The paint colors are, for the most part, the usual mortuary shades, though a nice medium-green Pearl will be avilable later in the year (green, of course, being Jeep's traditonal color). But the nicest color, far and away, is the Inferno Red Pearl, shared with some other Chrysler products, which costs an extra $225, and, IMO, is worth the slight extra charge. usually, I list extra-cost paint as a complaint, but the Inferno Red paint job is so nice, I'm willing to overlook the extra charge this time. The best way to describe it is to look at the superb Lexus Matador Red...it is almost a perfect match.....a deep, bright, Candy-Apple red with a very slight tint of orange. Like the Lexus paint job, it is done with deep gloss, smooth, and without significant orange-peel. The rest of the exterior hardware is generally well-done (noticeably better than many other Chrysler products), though the twin-side mirror housings are a disappointment with their thin, cheap-plastic housings which don't swivel and lock with a smooth, precise feeling...this is typical of many American-designed vehicles (and a few imports). The rather high stance and center-of-gravity did not interfere much with entry/exit, which was fairly easy for a person of my size.....for those shorter, hard to say.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid-feeling hood, and there is a nice insilation pad underneath (and it works). A single (but strong) gas strut on the left, instead of dual-struts, convieniently holds up the hood for you. The compartment deems to have been designed for the larger Hemi V8, as the smaller 3.6L V6, longitudinally-mounted, fits in with room to spare, both up front and on on the sides. There is plenty of room to reach things both in front of the
engine block, and a lesser, but still-adequate amount, on its sides. The only annoying feature is a big, black-plastic engine cover on top, which blocks most of the top-access. The other underhood-compartment features (battery, dipsticks, reserviors, filler-caps, etc...) are fairly easy to reach. The 5.7L Hemi V8, of course, being bigger, takes up more space and is not quite as easy to reach some things, but still is not necessarily a sardine-can. Once the hood is lowered down and dropped, it shuts with a solid, precise slam that was missing in the old version.

INTERIOR:

Definitely one of the car's better features.....and a major improvement over not only previous Grand Cherokees, but all previous Jeeps....IMO, this is far and away the best Jeep interior to date, although some of the old budget-grade Chrysler plastic is scattered around here and there, under the surface glitter. Real Americans (and, of course, large non-Americans) can fit in with room to spare. Without a sunroof (I didn't sample a sunroof model), there is good head and leg-room both front and rear (the squarish, conservative roofline helps). I'm 6' 2" and had at least a couple of inches of headroom to spare, both front and back, even with my ever-present baseball-cap. Legroom was excellent in front; good in back. The seat upholstery was done in a nice light-gray leather that seemed to be of a decent grade...the rest of the interior, two-tone Dark/Light gray, with plastic wood-tone, chrome, and silver-plastic trim. Unfortunately, the seats were rather flat and supportive (though, of course, this is not a sports car), and the seat-mounting-attachments didn't feel particularly strong (which could be a long-term issue with big, heavy people like me that put stress on them). The all-power front seat controls (only the headrests are manual) worked easily and smoothly. The dual sun visors, with vanity-mirrors, had a nice fabric covering, but couuld have felt a little softer. The speedometer and odometer are large, well-marked, and easily-read, but too much small digital information from the transmssion mode, power/economy, trip-readings, etc....is stuffed into the space between the two main gauges, and takes some deciphering to read. 4X4 Quadratrac models have the aforementioned AWD-mode **** on the console, Range-Rover-style, that adjusts the AWD for different off-pavement characteristics....snow, mud, gravel, etc... The steering wheel is a real gem...proper 3-spoke design, SMOOTH, easy-to-grip, comfortable leather (no uncomfortable stitch-feel), and integrated controls, though the spokes are the usual cheap Chrysler-plastic trim with painted-silver. The steering itself also has a smooth, pseudo-BMW-feel....more on that below. The stereo sound is excellent, though not quite a killer, and the ****/button controls are fairly easy to use, though upper-dash screen-readout is a little confusing. Some of the dash buttons, particularly the A/C on/off, feel flimsy, and the engine START/STOP button can wobble when you press it. Most of the interior hardware (with the aforementioned exceptions) seemed solid and at least fairly well-done, a noticeable improvemt from past models. The wood trim (plastic, of course), was a little dark and grayish for my tastes, but added a bit of warmness to the interior. The chrome trim (also plastic) was also well-done.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Very well-done. The Grand Cherokee is not quite long enough for third-row seating, so that space, of course, is used for cargo instead. The area is very well-finished, with a nice grade of fairly thick, plush-feeling carpeting on the floor and about halfway up the walls. A small flashlight is included in the left-side wall flip-compartment. The fairly tall, conservative rear-roofline gives good cargo room and allows comparatively tall boxes to be carried.....it also allows good rear outward-vision from the drivers' seat. The rear seats fold, of course, to expand the available cargo-room, and are covered, on their back sides, when folded, in the same nice matching carpet as on the floor. And, under the trunk floor....guess what? A real spare tire, not a donut, temporary, or Fix-a Flat bottle. That is especially important on a true off-roader like this, where, if you get a flat or have tire failure on rugged terrain, those Mickey-Mouse substitutes just won't hack it. Unfortunately, the spare tire is not mounted on a matching alloy wheel, but, in this case, the tire is more important than the wheel.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up both engines with a proximity key and the engine START button (the button itself is rather thin and wobbly), and both V6 and V8 engines idle smoothly and quietly. The Grand Cherokee's weight/drag seem to be somewhat of a factor here, though...although the Hemi V8 was, of course, noticeably more responsive than the V6, neither felt particularly strong. I asked about a new 2011 Hemi SRT model, and was told that it is not available right now, and it is unclear if a new one is coming later in the year. But, unless you are a speed freak, there is really nothing wrong with either available powertrain....the engineers have really done their homework on the refinement. Both engines are butter-smooth and quiet, although hard acceleration can produce a little exhaust noise with both engines. The Hemi V8 cuts out 4 cylinders in the level-cruise, non-tow mode, but it seems to make little difference in mileage.....I've never been impressed with those deactivation features in vehicles that have them.

The transmission, likewise, is butter-smooth and quiet...I felt like I was driving a Lexus RX350. It stays almost as butter-smooth even in the manual Auto-shift mode, which, in Chrysler products, is done with a side-to-side lever motion instead of a separate fore-aft gate or paddles in like most cars. Unfortunately, the P-R-N-D shifter action is the annoying, zig-zag motion instead of a nice fore/aft motion.

The engineers have also done some homework on the chassis, particularly with the power steering, which had a S-M-O-O-T-H but nicely-weighted tactile-feel similiar to many BMWs, though the effort felt a little more artificial rather than as natural as BMW. I've already described how well the steering wheel rim itself felt, in the INTERIOR section above. Ride comfort was definitely on the soft and comfortable side, especially by SUV standards...but the softish suspension and Michelin tires, while comfortable, together with the rather high center of gravity, allowed for some body roll. The only thing that marred the ride (otherwise very smooth) a little was a very small amount of typical-SUV front/rear porpoising....but it was almost nonexistent. The excellent steering feel did have quick response that, at higher speeds, was a little on the darty side...maybe a little too quick for a vehicle of this type. There was little noticeable difference between the handling/steering response difference of the V6 RWD and V8 AWD versions I sampled, though the V8's steering response seemed maybe slightly slower than the V6, due, of course, to the added weight/bulk up front. Sound isolation was also excellent......almost to Lexus standards, with both wind and tire noise, from the Michelins, well-muted. Brakes were another pleasant surprise...they felt almost like they could have come off a German sport-sedan. Like the engine/transmission and suspension, they were firm but SMOOTH (even ultra-smooth), responsive, and had only minimal pedal-lag in the first fraction of an inch. The pedal itself was not perfectly-located for a person with feet my size, but was low and close enough to the gas that I didn't have any major problems wth my big size-15 Clod-Hoppers clipping the bottom of the pedal as they went from gas
to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Well, folks.....I was certainly surprised when I went and checked this vehicle out. Compared to previous Jeeps and Grand Cherokees, there are major improvements to the interior, chassis, suspension, power-steering, overall refinement, and the general-level of fit/finish. The Inferno Red paint job, though extra-cost, can go head-to-head with many Lexus paint jobs. The underhood is roomy, especially with the V6. I found both versions of this vehicle quite pleasant to drive, though some interior trim/controls, and, of course, the outside mirror-housings, feel cheap and flimsy. If this is what we can expect to see with more upcoming Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles in the future, they will be well on their way towards becoming a respectable auto company once again....as Hyundai/Kia did after 2000 and Ford and GM did more recently (Ford more so then GM).

But, not all is roses here. First, the new Ford Explorer, the Grand Cherokee's prime competitor, is not far off, and you can bet that Ford has not been sitting on its heels either...especially since Ford, unlike Chrysler, survived the recession without Government money or a corporate take-over. The new Explorer, like most new Ford products, is also likely going to be much-improved as well, and even the new, improved Grand Cherokee is probably going to have its work cut out for it. I'll have more to say on the new Explorer, of course, when I see it and drive it. Second, of course, is the ever-present reliability question......will the new Grand Cherokee, after years of sub-par performance in this area, finally manage to stay out of the repair shop? Of course, only time.......and experience at the hands of consumers........will decide that.

In the meantime, though, enjoy this new Grand Cherokee....and its much-improved features. Those of you who, in the past, like me, have tended to dismiss Chrysler/Jeep products as crudely-built should take a look at this one, even if just for curiosity, and not for an actual purchase. I don't think you will be disappointed.

And, as always, of course............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-11 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 03:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Great report. I think the clean styling inside and out is the nicest feature of the new JGC. One thing I don't like however is the steering wheel. It has an old-school truck look style, whereas the rest of the dash is modern and flowing. Maybe less silver trim would help tone it down.
Old 08-09-10, 03:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mike.

I don't know much about the Grand Cherokee. I always imagined it to be a larger SUV, and I'm surprised that it doesn't have a third row. Powertrains are great, but I wish that Jeep had more gas efficient choices for their larger models.

This is the best of what Jeep now has to offer. I see that this product exemplifies what Chrysler is capable of, and I hope to see further progress from them.

My concern is that they need to make gigantic leaps to (a) regain their reputation as a solid and stable automaker, and (b) get ready for CAFE Standards in six years. Mike, any insight to Jeep's future?
Old 08-09-10, 03:55 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you mmarshall.

I'm glad to read that Jeep (Chrysler) did not drop the ball with this new product. The Grand Cherokee, like the Wrangler, does have a pretty loyal following. Based on your review, looks like Jeep may have a winner here.
Old 08-09-10, 04:52 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now THAT'S what I call a "quick turnaround".

Thanks bud.

And it clearly sounds like the pluses out weigh the minuses! Some of the issues you mention like pedal location won't be too much of a concern, as my wife would be the primary driver. But hearing things like "quietness and smoothness" are what really raise my eyebrows. That is a HUGE concern for any vehicle we get and that is great to hear. I hate the "buzzy" type noises that alot of these mini-SUVS have. Did it appear to absorb road conditions/imperfections well? And was it easy climbing in and out of? Probably so if you're 6'2. I'm 6 even. My wife is 5'5.
Overall I am pleased with your timely review and now look forward to getting behind the wheel.

Marcus
Old 08-09-10, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great report.
Thanks.

I think the clean styling inside and out is the nicest feature of the new JGC.
The new exterior is still somewhat a copy of the old one, style-wise. The inew interior is substantially different...and, IMO, a significant upgrade.

One thing I don't like however is the steering wheel. It has an old-school truck look style, whereas the rest of the dash is modern and flowing. Maybe less silver trim would help tone it down.
I agree the silver trim on the spokes could be improved...they have that classic Chrysler cheap-silver-plastic look and feel. But, once you sample the rest of the wheel, actually hold the rim, and feel the steering-effort on the road, it has a feel that is not only super-smooth but borderline seductive. One of the best this side of BMW/Porsche.

It's one thing to comment on the wheel from pictures.....but, go and sample it for yourself, and I think you'll agree with me.
Old 08-09-10, 05:19 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review once again mmarshall!

I am a long time 4runner owner, and currently drive a 2010 Trail edition and have to admit, the interior of the new JGC looks impressive(based on photos only). i kind of wish Toyota would have made the new 4runners interior a bit more upscale with nicer materials & etc. Exterior of course is subjective. I believe you also reviewed the 4runner, how would you compare the two?

Thanks !

Brandon
Old 08-09-10, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks Mike.
Sure, Anytime.

I don't know much about the Grand Cherokee. I always imagined it to be a larger SUV, and I'm surprised that it doesn't have a third row.
It's really, for the most part, a mid-sized SUV....it has never been anywhere near the size of a truly large SUV like a Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia, etc....

Keeping it a two-row SUV also, of course, gives good legroom for both front and rear....something I mentioned in the review.

You are correct, though, that it is not as physically large as the boxier, roomier Jeep Commander. In fact, Jeep's marketing can't seem to decide if the Grand Cherokee or the Commander is the real flagship. Interior-wise, however, there is no question (IMO) that the new Grand Cherokee has the flagship interior.

Powertrains are great, but I wish that Jeep had more gas efficient choices for their larger models.
Jeep tried marketing a diesel several years ago for better MPG, but there were few takers.

[QUOTE]This is the best of what Jeep now has to offer. I see that this product exemplifies what Chrysler is capable of, and I hope to see further progress from them. [QUOTE]

I don't want to inject politics into this (that's probably better-suited for the DEBATE forum), but one of the conditions that President Obama made for the Federal buyouts last year, for both Chrysler and GM, was that both companies start doing better products. This, of course, is the first American-market release of an all-new Chrysler/Jeep vehicle since that buyout...and Fiat's take-over. Fiat itself, of course, doesn't have much of a reputation for well-built, reliable cars (though they are probably better now than the junk they sold here 20-30 years ago), but then, they don't have to market their vehicles (yet) in the U.S.

And, don't forget, like I said in the review, the jury is still out on the new 2011 Grand Cherokee's long-term reliability. To produce a vehicle that looks and drives slick is one thing.....to make it last is quite another.

Mike, any insight to Jeep's future?
Not much beyond what I've already mentioned. I agree with you that they need to get some more economical powertrains....the strict CAFE mileage laws are coming up fast. They tried a diesel, though, and few buyers took. They also tried some non-traditional, on-road-only Jeep models like the Compass and (some) Patriot models. The Compass, IMO, turned out to be a POS in many ways, and the Patriot is just a Compass with a better-looking, more traditional-square Jeep body. And some Patriot models, at least, have a beefed-up chassis and a Trail Rating. But that seems to be part of Jeep's marketing/design strategy nowadays.....moving away from strictly off-road, Crocodile Dundee-type vehicles to try and expand their market beyond the traditional American cowboys/ranchers and more recent soccer-moms. Land Rover, to an extent, is adopting the same strategy....some of their latest (and smaller) products lack off-road/low-range transfer-cases.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Thank you mmarshall.
Sure...anytime.

I'm glad to read that Jeep (Chrysler) did not drop the ball with this new product. The Grand Cherokee, like the Wrangler, does have a pretty loyal following. Based on your review, looks like Jeep may have a winner here.
I think potentially so, but a lot depends on two things. First, how well it stands up to the new Ford Explorer (and other off-road, mid-size SUVs), and, Second, if the old reliability bugaboos are finally over with.
Old 08-09-10, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Now THAT'S what I call a "quick turnaround".

Thanks bud.
Sure...anytime.

I had time to do it today, because all of my other CL-requested reviews (Honda CR-Z, Hyundai Equus, and Lexus IS350 AWD) are still on hold.....the vehicles have not been released yet in the American market.

And it clearly sounds like the pluses out weigh the minuses! Some of the issues you mention like pedal location won't be too much of a concern, as my wife would be the primary driver. But hearing things like "quietness and smoothness" are what really raise my eyebrows. That is a HUGE concern for any vehicle we get and that is great to hear. I hate the "buzzy" type noises that alot of these mini-SUVS have. Did it appear to absorb road conditions/imperfections well? And was it easy climbing in and out of? Probably so if you're 6'2. I'm 6 even. My wife is 5'5.
Overall I am pleased with your timely review and now look forward to getting behind the wheel.

Marcus
Have fun test-driving it. You will find its ride quite smooth for an SUV (check the tire PSIs on your vehicle before you test-drive it, as they are often pumped up too high......most versions require 33 PSI front and rear), and the drivetrains refined and butter-smooth, though a little lacking in the grunt department, even with the Hemi. The only thing that marred the ride (otherwise very smooth) a little was a very small amount of typical-SUV front/rear porpoise....but it was almost nonexistent.

Yes, it was fairly easy for me to get in and out of.....the high ground clearance wasn't too high for my 6' 2" frame. But very short people might have some trouble...or want running-boards.
Old 08-09-10, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Great review once again mmarshall!
Thanks.

I am a long time 4runner owner, and currently drive a 2010 Trail edition and have to admit, the interior of the new JGC looks impressive(based on photos only). I kind of wish Toyota would have made the new 4runners interior a bit more upscale with nicer materials & etc. Exterior of course is subjective. I believe you also reviewed the 4runner, how would you compare the two?

Thanks !

Brandon
If you want a 4Runner with a more-plush, better-quality interior, then the Lexus GX is probably the way to go....though the GX is certainly not inexpensive. And both the 4Runner and GX, of course, have a more-established (and better) reliability record than the Grand Cherokee. One concern I have with both the 4Runner and GX, though, is their tallness in relation to the rather narrow width...that, of course, makes for a high, tipsy center of gravity and need for a lot of care while cornering and making sharp steering manuvers. As far as a direct 4Runner-Grand Cherokee comparison, I haven't driven a 4Runner in the last few years, but the last ones I remember driving had a rather trucky ride/road manners and couldn't equal the new Grand Cherokee's ride-comfort and steering-feel. both, however, seemed to have good noise-isolation.

The new Grand Cherokee's interior looks impressive......and, unlike past Jeeps, IS fairly impressive, though some of the old Chrysler plastic-flimsiness is still evident in some of the buttons/controls, steering-wheel spokes, and a few other places. The seat-to-floor attachments don't seem to be of Godzilla-strength either....but, of course, they have to pass crash-safety tests.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-10 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 09:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

As usual nice review,Mike.
I would assume the Limited has the wood steering wheel and more interior leather color choices and more standard features for around a $42K sticker loaded.
Nice truck but I would easily pass on one for a few reasons.Reliability and GOV bailouts are two.
Old 08-10-10, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
As usual nice review, Mike.
Thanks.

I would assume the Limited has the wood steering wheel and more interior leather color choices and more standard features for around a $42K sticker loaded.
Not just the Limited, but I believe the top-level Overland models have it, too. Overland models, though, don't seem to be regularly kept in stock, so I didn't get a chance to check one out.

Nice truck but I would easily pass on one for a few reasons.Reliability and GOV bailouts are two.
I would pass it up, at least for the first year anyway, to see what kind of reliability record it chalks up. But, reliability aside, the engineers seem to have done their homework in a number of other areas.
Old 08-10-10, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: Hyundai Equus, Honda CR-Z, Lexus IS350 AWD. They haven't been released yet, for whatever reason, in the American market.

Of course, if it is for quality or safety reasons on the assembly line (to get it right) then that's understandable. Last year, it was the same way.....Ford delayed quite a bit in getting the new Taurus out, and GM even more with the new Buick LaCrosse. Both were for (apparent) quality-control problems.

In the meantime, I may (?) do some others while waiting for them.
Old 08-12-10, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Have you checked out a new Grand Cherokee yet, TXSTYLE? You seem to have narrowed it down, in the other thread, to that or a CPO/used Range Rover.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee