Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Equus Preview

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 03:05 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LS was the quietest, among the most powerful in class with the best MPG and best CD. That is REVOLUTION. It offered a completely different interior that was luxurious. It offered less maintenance and superior reliability. All for a cheaper price.

That is REVOLUTION. Every single review when it debuted said it was one of the greatest cars ever made and simply created a new standard.

That is REVOLUTION. To this day it is the only D class Japanese flagship and the LS 460 debuted 11 world firsts.
So when the Sonata, for example, has class leading power, power-to-weight, MPG, warranty, and "offers more value than anything else in its class" (carsdirect), you called Hyundai "cheap."

But when a Lexus has the same attributes, it is revolutionary?

What world first is the Equus debuting? Do tell? Name one.
Here are a couple:

- a world first lane departure warning system that is able to distinguish between white and yellow lines
- haptic seat belts

There are supposed to be 10 world firsts in the Equus.

For the record, I own an LS430, IS F and a LX570. I've never owned a Hyundai and I've criticized the Equus as being overpriced and having inferior quality compared to the LS. That said, I find it disturbing how biased some people on this forum are regarding anything Hyundai does. Again, I heard the same criticisms currently lodged against Hyundai back in 1989 when we got the LS400.
Old 08-12-10, 04:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Care to share any links or documents of these world firsts for the Equus, or is this secret information you got direct from Korea? If the Equus had that many world firsts, I'm sure Hyundai marketing would have been going nuts by now trying to promote them.
Old 08-12-10, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
So when the Sonata, for example, has class leading power, power-to-weight, MPG, warranty, and "offers more value than anything else in its class" (carsdirect), you called Hyundai "cheap."

Here are a couple:

- a world first lane departure warning system that is able to distinguish between white and yellow lines
- haptic seat belts

For the record, I own an LS430, IS F and a LX570. I've never owned a Hyundai and I've criticized the Equus as being overpriced and having inferior quality compared to the LS. That said, I find it disturbing how biased some people on this forum are regarding anything Hyundai does. Again, I heard the same criticisms currently lodged against Hyundai back in 1989 when we got the LS400.
Is the Sonata is luxury car? It is not so it doesn't matter here. We are talking about luxury cars. I've praised the Sonata as well, multiple times.

I owned a Hyundai. There are legitimate concerns and criticisms here. Its not like anyone is saying the Equuas is a P.O.S or anything of that nature.

Old 08-12-10, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I owned a Hyundai. There are legitimate concerns and criticisms here. Its not like anyone is saying the Equuas is a P.O.S or anything of that nature.
Unless I missed something, Mike, you owned a 20-year-old Scoupe, didn't you? (essentially a 2-door Excel/Mitsubshi Precis). That, of course, is a far cry from today's Hyundais, although I can't deny that a modified Scoupe won the Pikes' Peak Hill Climb.
Old 08-12-10, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless I missed something, Mike, you owned a 20-year-old Scoupe, didn't you? (essentially a 2-door Excel/Mitsubshi Precis). That, of course, is a far cry from today's Hyundais, although I can't deny that a modified Scoupe won the Pikes' Peak Hill Climb.
Yup. A complete P.O.S and while I applaud them for their new efforts I won't spend my money on them again. No different than the crappy Fords and GM cars my family bought in the past. We have moved on and not looking back.

Some brands like Toyota/Lexus have done something weird. Build damn good cars over and over and I've been happy. Egads!

Old 08-12-10, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yup. A complete P.O.S and while I applaud them for their new efforts I won't spend my money on them again. No different than the crappy Fords and GM cars my family bought in the past. We have moved on and not looking back.

Some brands like Toyota/Lexus have done something weird. Build damn good cars over and over and I've been happy. Egads!
There's some evidence, though, to show that former Toyota people are moving to exactly that......GM and Ford. GM, today, posted the first profit in years.....I'm sure you saw the story.
Old 08-13-10, 05:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall
There's some evidence, though, to show that former Toyota people are moving to exactly that......GM and Ford. GM, today, posted the first profit in years.....I'm sure you saw the story.
400K unit fleets sales for GM helps,Mike.
I'm not a fan of Hyundai no matter how good they're vehicles are said to be.I test drove a new Santa Fe and wasn't impressed at all.In fact,I was disappointed with all this talk of how great Hyundai is now,at least with that model..
I do like Ford,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-13-10 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 06:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I won't spend my money on them again.
+1 and I'm sure there are tons of former Hyundai Owners who's experience with the company was bad enough that we will not be coming back unless they do something extraordinary. Removing the Hyundai name would have been a great start.
Old 08-13-10, 06:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
+1 and I'm sure there are tons of former Hyundai Owners who's experience with the company was bad enough that we will not be coming back unless they do something extraordinary. Removing the Hyundai name would have been a great start.
We are one of them. Wife is part Korean and wanted to buy a Korean car, and now she will never buy a Hyundai again. Multiple major part failures before 100k, several out of pocket, 100k warranty is really BS and the list goes on.

They are making some great looking cars inside and out but after initial quality it falls off.

After 50k miles you see why the car is cheaper
The dealer network is HORRIABLE, people seem to over look this but it takes an owner to know
The dealer service is even worse
Depreciation value is brutal

Again nice styles, nice prices, but factor everything in and it’s not a deal
Old 08-13-10, 07:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
We are one of them. Wife is part Korean and wanted to buy a Korean car, and now she will never buy a Hyundai again. Multiple major part failures before 100k, several out of pocket, 100k warranty is really BS and the list goes on.

They are making some great looking cars inside and out but after initial quality it falls off.

The dealer network is HORRIABLE, people seem to over look this but it takes an owner to know

People get all pumped up over Hyundai's 10/100K warranty.
It's just on the powertrain.
Old 08-13-10, 08:00 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
People get all pumped up over Hyundai's 10/100K warranty.
It's just on the powertrain.
I don’t want to drag the thread off topic but to add to this…

We had issues getting power train items covered, they look for every single way out to pay a claim, the services rivals that of big 3 dealers in the 90’s.

Would it be ok to lease an Equus for 3 years? Sure!

But all I am saying is when it comes down to buying and owning one 5+ years and putting 50-60k+ on their products, no thanks.
Old 08-13-10, 07:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.

Hyundai supporters don't want to hear this, let alone let others hear this.

Fact is, this is true and I've observed this for years now with Hyundai. It's style over substance. Initial quality has improved for Hyundai, but we have yet to see proof that very long-term quality has improved.

A perfect example of this was a Hyundai recall made last year regarding rusted subframes. Many 1999-2004 Sonatas along with 2001-2004 XG300s were recalled for severe subframe rust problems. For a 2004 car, this is inexcusable. There were separate recalls for 2001-2003 Elantras, 2001-2003 Tiburons and 2001-2003 Sante Fe models for severe (suspension) rust problems as well.

You get what you pay for. You're not going to get Lexus quality for Hyundai money, or better-than-Toyota quality for super-low prices. It just doesn't work like that. By quality, in this case I am specifically referring to long-term quality.

Compared to the previous generation, the new Sonata is cheaper in several ways. Same thing with the new Kia Sportage compared to the previous generation, or the new Hyundai Tuscon compared to the previous generation.
Old 08-14-10, 11:23 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

The LS was the quietest, among the most powerful in class with the best MPG and best CD. That is REVOLUTION. It offered a completely different interior that was luxurious. It offered less maintenance and superior reliability. All for a cheaper price.

That is REVOLUTION. Every single review when it debuted said it was one of the greatest cars ever made and simply created a new standard.

That is REVOLUTION. To this day it is the only D class Japanese flagship and the LS 460 debuted 11 world firsts.

What world first is the Equus debuting? Do tell? Name one.
the first only D class korean flagship to date?
Old 08-15-10, 12:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka

Here are a couple:

- haptic seat belts

good post
Old 08-15-10, 02:58 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Fact is, this is true and I've observed this for years now with Hyundai. It's style over substance. Initial quality has improved for Hyundai, but we have yet to see proof that very long-term quality has improved.
This. My old boss had an 2004 Santa Fe, and while it served them well for 4 years it became a oil burner after that. It needed a new engine and catalytic converter and they just junked it. The Koreans have made leaps and bounds with their products, but I don't know if I can trust them beyond a cell phone or a TV just yet.

OTOH, those Bobcats you see on the jobsite or a field are now made by Doosan, a Korean firm. Those are a solid, proven design - Doosan has been building engines for a while as well.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Equus Preview